Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

It’s lightning
Not lightening

Thanek yeou

Unless you mean...
  1. a drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis.
No, I really don't think you should be on the Skyliner if you are in active labor.

I think it really depends on where you live. My experience is that most chair lifts are in conditions similar to this pic so often (not always) the trees are higher than the lifts.

View attachment 382593
Ok.
We've established that lifts run higher than neighboring trees in some places. They also run lower than trees in some places. We've established that lifts run over bare earth, water, forests and cityscapes.
We've established that the skyliner will have high and low points around WDW. There are structures higher and lower than the skyliner. What makes the skyliner more likely to be hit by lightning than the other structures at disney that are higher than it?
I get that people are concerned about lightning. I get that people fear it, and justifiably so, nobody wants to be hit by lightning. However I'm having a tough time understanding why you might think the skyliner is at any greater risk than any number of spots on WDW property.
Nobody is forced to ride it, regardless if you think bus service will be downgraded or eliminated entirely. You have other options, if you feel the free option provided to you is unsafe.

It’s lightning
Not lightening

Thanek yeou

Unless you mean...
  1. a drop in the level of the uterus during the last weeks of pregnancy as the head of the fetus engages in the pelvis.

That would be an unexpected twist if that is what people are worried about with regards to the gondolas

It’s lightning
Not lightening

Thanek yeou

Unless you mean...

This is really funny you mentioned this because I’m a nursing student and we’re doing maternity right now and we just talked about this term.

Blame it on my generation, but every time I read McQueen I think Steve. Steve McQueen. LOL. For me, there is only one McQueen. I secretly hope that Disney channeled a little or a lot of Steve for this Pixar hit. No doubt some DIS'rs know the real scoop.

as far as I know there was no direct referencing to Steve McQueen in Lightning McQueen. Lightning was named after Pixar animator Glenn McQueen

as far as I know there was no direct referencing to Steve McQueen in Lightning McQueen. Lightning was named after Pixar animator Glenn McQueen
Phil I like but don't like your reply. I'm sure the animator McQueen was deserving. But darn I wish Steve was recognized as he loved racing and was a man's man car racer/speed demon no holds bar. For anyone under the age of 40yrs, wikki, google or imdb steve mcqueen and absorb. Fight cancer is all I can leave you with.

Blame it on my generation, but every time I read McQueen I think Steve. Steve McQueen. LOL. For me, there is only one McQueen. I secretly hope that Disney channeled a little or a lot of Steve for this Pixar hit. No doubt some DIS'rs know the real scoop.

That's exactly where I point my mind. I forget the movie, but I think he was a bounty hunter and shot some folks. Holy memory fade!

Phil I like but don't like your reply. I'm sure the animator McQueen was deserving. But darn I wish Steve was recognized as he loved racing and was a man's man car racer/speed demon no holds bar. For anyone under the age of 40yrs, wikki, google or imdb steve mcqueen and absorb. Fight cancer is all I can leave you with.

Oh I am fully aware of Steve McQueen and get how there could be some inspiration from Steve - just saying what the official reference is cited as (now, certainly poissible they were thinking of the name and notices that that animators name sounded like Steve McQueen so it made sense that is the animator they named him after and not Pete Johnson or whoever)

Younger generations likely hear McQueen and think Steven, not Steve. Steven is Steve's grandson, although he was born after Steve died. He's also an actor, best known for The Vampire Diaries and Chicago Fire.

Steven R McQueen Looking Pensive:
stevenrmcqueen-imdb.jpg

Source: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1997596/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Now: Back to regularly scheduled programming. Isn't it about time for someone to ask if the gondolas will have air-conditioning?

just saying what the official reference is cited as
thank you for this and your info. I didn't know and very good to find out. I just went for a walk down memory lane. But realistically, not at all Disney related and just general cinema stuff. Thanks, my friend for having my back :-)

Younger generations likely hear McQueen and think Steven, not Steve. Steven is Steve's grandson, although he was born after Steve died. He's also an actor, best known for The Vampire Diaries and Chicago Fire.

Steven R McQueen Looking Pensive:
stevenrmcqueen-imdb.jpg

Source: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1997596/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Now: Back to regularly scheduled programming. Isn't it about time for someone to ask if the gondolas will have air-conditioning?
I just started watching Vampire Diaries. I approve!

For what it's worth, I worked at a ski resort for 18 years. We ran the lifts in the summer as well as winter. Of the the total of 13 rope lifts, in the 18 years, not a single one ever had a failure related to lightning strikes. Uphill capacity was over 25,000 in aggregate(so lower number per lift). Detachable and non-detachable lifts. Some as old or older than me(I'm 44).
In those 18 years, we only had one lift evacuation, though most had trained on the scenario. Frostbite/hypothermia is a bigger risk in our scenario than heat stroke, but the standard is 20 minutes to clear the line or you evac. The single biggest issue was icing in winter. We did shut down for lightning as a company policy, but it never damaged anything.

I'm confident that the skyliner will survive lighting just fine. The issue would likely be a customer service issue as to whether you want to subject your guests to that weather extreme, less of a safety issue.

I have to tell you, this thread has amazed me. I get that not everyone has been lucky enough to go skiing. However, I am very surprised at the level of fear that this new to Disney transportation device has generated. I wonder if the Monorail concept was just released for this time period if people would be as nervous about it.

I feel like people are less nervous about Tron or guardians of the galaxy coaster, and that just blows my mind.

I agree. Both DLR and WDW had skyliner attractions for decades and people loved to ride them. Maybe because these are larger and are traveling longer distances makes people apprehensive?

It is interesting - and maybe it is just the feeling that you are strapped into harnesses for rides and if you decide you want to go on Tron you are doing so because you want a trill

I do get that being in a box that hangs from a wire and goes across roads and water, etc. just triggers fear in people - that I totally get (and know some people who won't ride the monorail either for similar reasons)

The thing I don't get (and to be honest, more on threads in Facebook groups and stuff) is the thinking that Disney never considered that there are storms and that it gets hot when they decided to go ahead and build this system

i said this on a different thread, but it deserves to be here: Come on, guys, you are making it sound like Disney and Dopplemeyer are like a bunch of kids building a tree house with a rope between it and the next tree. You make it sound like engineers, very smart people, have never considered the problems that might come with gondolas. But that isn't the case, even if this first system is really just the 'technology demonstrator model' for Disney World.

The first, PASSENGER Gondola systems were built in the 1930s. Dopplemeyer, the company Disney has selected has been building machinery for 120 years and specializing in gondolas for decades. They are definitely recognized as some of the world leaders in Gondola technology. Disney knows where Disney World is. They have half a century of dealing with the weather here. They know it is hot in summer. And that there is lightning. And that some storms bring a pretty good wind component. They even know that once in a while, the hurricanes also want to visit Disney World. So, I am sure they took ALL of that into account. You need to realize that Disney is NOT just building more transportation. It is building THE transportation system of the future. If any of those things was going to be a significant problem, and they couldn't design or build around it, then they would NOT have chosen this.

I mean, like wow. Have you ever heard the saying that you don't know what you don't know? Well most people DON'T really KNOW about gondolas. But they STILL think that they DO know about gondolas. And they are wrong.

i said this on a different thread, but it deserves to be here: Come on, guys, you are making it sound like Disney and Dopplemeyer are like a bunch of kids building a tree house with a rope between it and the next tree. You make it sound like engineers, very smart people, have never considered the problems that might come with gondolas. But that isn't the case, even if this first system is really just the 'technology demonstrator model' for Disney World.

The first, PASSENGER Gondola systems were built in the 1930s. Dopplemeyer, the company Disney has selected has been building machinery for 120 years and specializing in gondolas for decades. They are definitely recognized as some of the world leaders in Gondola technology. Disney knows where Disney World is. They have half a century of dealing with the weather here. They know it is hot in summer. And that there is lightning. And that some storms bring a pretty good wind component. They even know that once in a while, the hurricanes also want to visit Disney World. So, I am sure they took ALL of that into account. You need to realize that Disney is NOT just building more transportation. It is building THE transportation system of the future. If any of those things was going to be a significant problem, and they couldn't design or build around it, then they would NOT have chosen this.

I mean, like wow. Have you ever heard the saying that you don't know what you don't know? Well most people DON'T really KNOW about gondolas. But they STILL think that they DO know about gondolas. And they are wrong.

If wasn't on double secret probation for sarcasm in this thread I'd starting ranting about how an AC-less future sound terrible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter