Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Updated 10/12/18

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by WEDWDW, Feb 15, 2017.

1. DanBoris

DanBoris DIS Veteran

I am pretty sure they are going to be permanent, probably control room and equipment room. You can see in these two pictures that insulation and an outside wall surface has been added, no reason to do that if they were just for construction purposes. Probably not something you have seen because gondola stations over water are not common. The other stations have small structures connected to them, but since they are on the ground they are cinder block or concrete structures.

upload_2018-10-6_16-36-6.png

upload_2018-10-6_16-33-43.png

Rob Troxel, STLstone, rteetz and 2 others like this.
  2. scrappinginontario

scrappinginontario DIS Veteran

It could still happen but I would be surprised if such a lengthy shutdown happens when it has not been announced yet. There might be something affecting the Swan/Dolphin but I’m not convinced at this time that it is a complete shutdown of the Friendshio boats in that area.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. HopperFan

HopperFan "It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."

It would be very easy to build a temporary structure over the walkway to keep anyone walking safe from anything possibly falling just like they do on sidewalks in front of tall city buildings with construction. It would not be easy to do the same over the water to protect the boats and floating guests.

So it is possible to keep the walkway open to walkers yet close the waterway due to the cable installation ....... if this is the case here with this information.

Mikey15, STLstone and KYMickey like this.
  5. scrappinginontario

scrappinginontario DIS Veteran

With the discussion about the Friendship Boats possibly closing in December I wrote to Disney and asked them.

This is a portion of the email I received from them today:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

We are glad to know you will visit us soon! At the moment we do not have any notifications about the Friendship boat at the Epcot® International Gateway to be close. I recommend to always keEpcot® looking in our website for official notifications since all information it is subject to change.

So, at this time there is no official notification that the Friendship Boats will be closed later this year.

6. Katie & Glen

Katie & Glen DIS Veteran

I agree that this is more outfitted than I would normally expect a modular office structure to be (the ones we used would typically be fully outfitted with everything, only on-site work wwould be utilities interconnection).

@DanBoris- Mind if I post over at wdwmagic and see what LiftBlog has to say?

I have never seen a structure like this on a gondola system.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  7. CarolynFH

CarolynFH DIS Veteran

Thanks for being smart enough to ask WDW! I think the Swolphin issue may be related to their dock and not an issue with operation of the Friendship Boat system in its entirety.

8. Lesley Wake

Lesley Wake May the force be with you!

Yup, fingers crossed!!!

9. smartmommy4

smartmommy4 Earning My Ears

I wish they would build a walking path to connect Pop with CBR. The two hotels are right next to each other. That way, people who are stranded can simply walk to Pop and then to AofA, if necessary.

MinnieMSue likes this.
  10. Tigger's ally

Tigger's ally Segway test dummy

That would be quite a haul though from the North end of CBR to Pop, let alone all the way to AoA. Guessing if the weather is bad enough to shut down the Gondola's then I wouldn't want to walk that far in the same weather. Been caught outside (boat dock at DHS) in a lightning storm and as a grown man I was too afraid to step foot out of what little protection we did have.

11. umichigan10

umichigan10 DIS Veteran

Also pop and CBR are separated by a road. Which isn’t insurmountable to build over, but doesn’t seem it would be used enough to justify the effort and expense of putting one up

12. joelkfla

joelkfla DIS Veteran

It's just the Pop entrance road, also used by Pop, AoA, and CBR cm's reporting to work. It would be easy to install a pedestrian signal, although it could back things up at shift change times.

There's also a tunnel under the road, used by golf carts moving cm's between the combined service area and Pop/AoA. Perhaps they could clean it up and direct Guests thru it during shutdowns. Guests would still be crossing the traffic into the service area.

But buses would be simplest. Except perhaps at park exit, the number of Guests caught between DHS or IG and CBR on their way to Pop or AoA would fit on 1 or 2 buses, and they'd all arrive at CBR station within 10 minutes of the declared shutdown. After dropping everyone at Pop or AoA, the buses would go into service replacing the Skyliner until it was back in service.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    umichigan10 likes this.
  13. Epcotkids

Epcotkids Earning My Ears DVC Gold

This little guy can't wait to fly Gondola.

14. RRB

RRB I've got Cabin Fever, Copper Creek that is

Does anyone know how many towers are left to install?

15. danikoski

danikoski DIS Veteran

16. smartmommy4

smartmommy4 Earning My Ears

From the north end, sure. CBR is a long haul just to walk from its north to south end. But from the CBR gondola station it ain't bad, and the gondola may not be down just because of bad weather. It might be down for any and all reasons. It shouldn't cause any hardship to install a path with pedestrian crossing because the buses/cars have to stop at the gates anyway. Pedestrians can be ordered to wait until the traffic clears out before being allowed to cross by some kind of crossing light. There aren't that many cars/buses on those roads. And there won't be that many pedestrians, only when the gondola is down. Also, people living at the South end can walk to Pop faster than taking the gondola.

17. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

I believe it’s mainly the Pop/AoA ones on the water left.

18. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I also agree with the author how some people made up their minds that this is a bad idea and only focusing on/brining up the potential negative aspects (whether or not they are true)

that said, I think it goes the other way too in that people that think it is a good idea (and I fall in this camp) are more focused on the positive aspects and minimizing any downside scenarios (sight-lines, etc.)

In reality, I bet it winds up being somewhere in the middle of these two extreme views ... though I still think Disney has thought about all angles and wouldn't' be investing so much if it isn't at least more towards the positive end than negative

19. Lesley Wake

Lesley Wake May the force be with you!

I don’t know if people have figured this out yet, but is the CBR stop going to be a big transfer hub? Like will anyone going thru that hub need to get off and transfer onto whichever line they are headed towards: Riviera/Epcot, DHS, or Pop-AoA? Or will gondolas be rerouted automatically into their final destination so the Epcot station would have different lines for people heading to different places so either the whole car gets off or whole car stays on?

20. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

You will have to get off and transfer at CBR.

21. GrumpySue

GrumpySue Mouseketeer

As a person who is deathly afraid of heights, this Gondola idea scares me a lot. I will never be able to ride in one of these, I hope that boats and buses will always be an alternative. More walking trails too, my preferred method.