Disney shutting down Disney Movie Club as it moves further away from physical media

Kennywood

Kennywood
1708542673055.png

As Disney leans further into the streaming world, it’s doing away with a popular service that allowed its biggest fans to own some of its most obscure films.

The Disney Movie Club is shutting down, according to a message on the club’s homepage. Patrons, though, will have a couple more months to fill in gaps in their DVD and Blu-Ray collections. Final orders will be taken on May 20.

“After 23 magical years, it’s time to say goodbye,” the site reads. “After serving over 10 million valued Club Members, we have made the difficult decision to close the Disney Movie Club. We will miss the opportunity to be part of the lives of so many Disney fans, including yours.”

The Disney Movie Club was more than just a way for Disney fans to get the latest releases (as well as extras like collectible pins), it afforded them the opportunity to own physical copies of more rare titles that most people have forgotten, such as The Littlest Horse Thief and The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes.
The move comes as physical media is seeing an upswing in popularity (if not sales at the moment). While streaming services offer a huge catalog of films and television shows to subscribers, the companies that control those add and remove content regularly, meaning a film you want to see might not always be available.

The decision to shutter the Disney Movie Club comes as Disney has struck a deal with Sony Pictures Entertainment to transfer the manufacturing, distribution and marketing of Disney DVDs and Blu-Rays. Disney, generally, is looking to cut costs. CEO Bob Iger has vowed to reduce expenses at the company by at least $8 billion, a move that has already resulted in thousands of job cuts.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...1&cvid=555b182f284c4b04daabdb6400352b86&ei=76

This means Movie Insiders will be gone?
I don't think so.

The movie club would send you 5 movies for a low price.
Then you had to to buy a certain amount of movies at full price.

It was for physical media.

Not sure if ever included Beta (Still have Sleeping Beauty on it :) ) but it included VHS, DVD, and Blue-Ray.

This means Movie Insiders will be gone?
I don't think so. I am a member of Disney Movie Insiders and they have not sent an email saying Disney Movie Insiders is shutting down. I think Disney Movie Insiders is alive and well for the time being.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter