Disney Reportedly Wants To Make Alien Their Next Mega-Franchise

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-reportedly-alien-megafranchise/
One of the strangest outcomes of Disney buying Fox is that the House of Mouse is now the owner of the Alien movies. Despite the sci-fi horror franchise being the least Disney-friendly IP you can think of, the studio knows they’re sitting on a very lucrative universe and so last December they announced they were developing an Alien TV series with Fargo creator Noah Hawley. But this is just the tip of the iceberg, according to the latest intel.

Small Screen is reporting that Disney is committed to turning Alien into their next “mega-franchise,” with their intent being to develop multiple other movies and TV shows to join the one already announced. We know that Hawley’s Alien series will be headed to Hulu in the US and Disney Plus STAR in other territories, and the outlet says that all upcoming Alien projects will likewise be going to streaming as Disney is dedicated to “getting more adults subscribing” to their platforms.

As this end goal suggests, Small Screen goes on to say that the studio has no intentions of watering down the Alien franchise to make it more family-friendly. These projects will not be rated PG-13, with SS’ sources describing them as being “full-blown action-horror.” Disney is allegedly excited to get to grips with what they see as one of their rare “‘adult offerings” which they hope to utilize to tempt more mature viewers to D+ and Hulu. This expansion of Alien will go hand in hand with more Predator projects, too. Remember, 10 Cloverfield Lane‘s Dan Tractenberg is already working on a movie.

The last entry in the Alien universe to hit screens was Ridley Scott’s Alien: Covenant in 2017, which infamously underperformed at the box office. Maybe it’s smart to pivot the franchise away from cinemas, then, and produce future installments exclusively for streaming.

Source: Small Screen

With that kind of a budget and creative department behind the scenes, maybe there's hope for a proper sequel to Alien Isolation then, and I don't just mean a crappy mobile game. While not without flaws, it is a phenomenal survival horror experience that plays strongly to the elements of the first movie, with a single invincible Alien that cannot be killed by any weaponry you possess, and instead must be evaded by stealth and environmental awareness.

With that kind of a budget and creative department behind the scenes, maybe there's hope for a proper sequel to Alien Isolation then, and I don't just mean a crappy mobile game. While not without flaws, it is a phenomenal survival horror experience that plays strongly to the elements of the first movie, with a single invincible Alien that cannot be killed by any weaponry you possess, and instead must be evaded by stealth and environmental awareness.

You would have to go to Sega on that one as they still own the rights to those games, I do believe. However we are getting this

That might reinvigorate the franchise to some degree, but Alien and Aliens don't share the same thematic elements. Aliens is focused on run-and-gun action with a platoon of hardened Marines slaughtering drones by the dozens, while the original Alien is much more of a horror movie with a single invincible creature that isolates and picks off the characters one by one, and they don't know how to combat it.

I draw the same comparison between Resident Evil and Silent Hill. In Resident Evil you're a well-seasoned S.T.A.R.S operative with extensive combat training and physical condition, while in Silent Hill the character is an ordinary everyman with no training whatsoever. You could also draw a comparison between Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. In Diablo 2, you hunt demons. In Diablo 1, demons hunt you.

Ridley Scott and James Cameron created two very, very different beasts in the franchise.

Alien Covenant really was quite bad.
The ending was almost laughable and was actually not even that scary which is not what Alien us supposed to be.
The problem is CGI is just an excuse to show way to much and as good as the CGI is, it just took away the scary vibe. It worked better in shadows but in fuller light it took away from any creepiness. I thought Prometheus was more unsettling and a little better but ultimately the original trilogy, and 1 and 2 in particular, are still leaps ahead of anything that has been made since.

I feel like Alien feels tired and has run it's course, but I was never a huge fan of the franchise so not the target market.

I feel like Alien feels tired and has run it's course, but I was never a huge fan of the franchise so not the target market.

Same. I feel like it's pretty much done. They might be able to do some more prequel stuff, but even that bit seems to have run its course as well.

tenor.gif

I was quite excited when Disney did the Fox deal because I thought Disney could do what was needed to rejuvenate the Alien franchise.

Specifically, I hope that Disney gets Neill Blomkamp's planned "legacy sequel" to Aliens, which would've disregarded everything (chronologically) after James Cameron's film, would've been a further tie-in with Prometheus to show and represent the reason why Weyland-Yutani wants the xenomorphs, and been return and fitting send-off for Ripley and Hicks and potentially hand the baton to Newt.

I really want Disney to get this back on track.

A reboot of Alien would be a good idea. I think the movies suffered because they were trying the story telling after the fact. The original films worked of a premise that everyone knew what was going on. We watched human astronauts doing future space stuff and some horror ensued. The explanation(s) in the different films that followed were too complicated. At the core of the story there is a dangerous monster. A western comedy style movie where space explorers bump into dangerous aliens and horror, action and comedy happen would be a better format.

Please, no. There are enough 'franchises' out there now. I'm ready for some originality. Tired of Marvel and Star Wars stuff.

I mean, as long as they keep it rated R and don't water it down immensely, I'd be interested in another Alien.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter