Disney or Hawaii

Price Hawaii.

There likely won't be an all inclusive and you'll probably discover its a lot more expensive than Disney. Just room tax in Hawaii adds a lot. Airfare to Hawaii is usually a killer.

The other downside for Hawaii is from the middle of the country, you are looking at probably eleven hours of travel - with a toddler and a six year old. A lap baby for twelve hours of travel would send me over the edge.

That said, Hawaii is a great vacation - really lovely and worthwhile once you get there. Its beautiful and relaxing and there is a ton of stuff to do. But Hawaii was way more expensive for us - on the cheap - than our luxury Disney vacations.

These are my thoughts exactly!
We loved Hawaii when we went. We had family there at the time, and stayed with them, so we did not pay for accomodations. And we didn't eat out that much, other than one luau. And still, paying for mostly airfare, and a few attraction admissions, the Hawaii trip was more expensive than our WDW trips have been.

And time on the plane was brutal. Seemed to take forever. We always drive to WDW, which I prefer to flying. This is my opinion, though, and not all may agree with it. In fact, our drive to WDW takes about the same amount of time as a flight to Hawaii. (Our flight was actually was way longer because of significant delays but it should have been about the same). But I would much rather do 12 hours in the car, where we are in control- than in a plane/airport where we have no control or privacy.

I would carefully consider your mode of travel with a toddler. I cannot imagine traveling to Hawaii with a toddler. Even flying to WDW- you would arrive in a much shorter amount of time.

So while I think the actual experience of Hawaii would be a better choice than WDW, I would probably choose WDW while the youngest is still a toddler, and choose Hawaii later, when travel will be easier.

CrAzY4DL said:
Oooh please explain about cottages! That sounds wonderful!

Well, you can rent a regular sized house, or you can rent a small cottage, which are really cute and comfy! They usually have kitchenettes so you can eat at home, which saves money. There's a lot of sites you can check out to find the right one.

I'd vote for Hawaii too! Tons of family things to do. I loved Maui, but I think there is a lot on Oahu :) (I've only been to Maui and the Big Island). I bet your teens would love it!

Edited to say - maybe since you both have different ideas, bring the kids together to confer and ask what they would like to do?

Hubby & I have been to Hawaii 2x, both BK (before kids), one trip stayed on Oahu (LOTS to do) and the second was a cruise. Awesome, beautiful, fun, relaxing!
That being said, we would love to take our twins but not until they are MUCH older - maybe 10-12. The flight was the killer for me and I can't imagine it with young kids. The time difference was also a biggie - we left the east coast around 8am, traveled for 12 hours (3hrs to Chicago, change planes, 8 hrs to Oahu) and arrived in Oahu at 2pm (9pm our time) and killed ourselves to stay up until 8pm. The cost for the flight alone might be what you'd pay for just a hotel on property in WDW.
I would definitely go to WDW and save the Hawaii trip until the little one is a LEAST out of diapers.

I've been in the early stages of planing a family vacation to Disney for next Fall. It will be the first big get away for our blended family of 5 kiddos- 4 from precious marriages & our sweet baby girl who will be 16 months old at the time of our trip. I haven't been to Disney since I was a little girl (I've only been once), my boys (7 & 9) have never been- my husband loves Disney & has been 6 times, most recently in 2009 with his kids (now 14 & 16).
Well... My husband comes to me last night & asks, "Can we all go to Hawaii instead of Disney?" Gosh I don't know!!? When I think Hawaii I don't think family vacation!? But he really wants to go- none of us have ever been. We would find an all inclusive package at a resort somewhere- spend about what we would spend going to Disney. I don't know what to do- decisions decisions!! What would you do!??

We've been to both Hawaii and WDW many times and I would vote for WDW this time. Save Hawaii for a romantic trip for two. We took our daughters, age 15 and 17, on a trip to Hawaii. We stayed at a nice condo on Mauii and all they did was complain for the first four days. They finally got into the trip after they discovered how much fun snorkeling was. But unless you can stay at a place where the teens can have something they like to do besides sitting on the beach all day, I'd go for WDW.

The two vacations are like night and day. And the flight to Hawaii is really long. The time change throws babies off schedule, so the little one will be waking up in the middle of the night.

We love Hawaii and have a great time when we go. But it is always a romantic trip for two. When we want to spend time with family we go to WDW, where everyone can do their own thing in a safe environment, and the memories are wonderful.

I'm sure the 14 and 16 yo would have more fun, but it will be a NIGHTMARE for you and the 16 month old. I can't imagine having to sit at the beach with a toddler every day for a week. I can handle a few hours for 1 day, but no way would I want to take to a toddler to an ISLAND, lol. And trust me, it will just be YOU watching her, your husband will be off surfing with the older kids, etc. (been there, done that, never again.) Not to mention, the PLANE RIDE, ugh. Does not sound fun to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter