Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Yep ... that's why I still collect physical media. I still purchase 4K Bluray of the stuff I really like. I also still buy CDs ... I rip the music so I have a digital copy, but have the physical copy if the streaming platforms decide to drop them.

Here's the problem ... Many studios are no longer even releasing physical sets of their streaming series. So if stuff like Willow gets dropped, now they're gone for good (except for illegal as you mentioned). It may end up sold to a FAST service at some point though, as that's what HBO did recently with stuff like Westworld and a few others moving to Tubi

I was still getting Blurays from Netflix until they shuttered that this year ... and Netflix made that decision only to try and force more people into digital where you have a smaller catalog they control!

We are totally into physical media too. Really bummed that Netflix is ending DVDs. We would get old stuff that wasn’t on streaming for our son to see. I guess we will pony up for Netflix streaming now🙁

We also buy CDs and burn them to lossless, so we can have them out of the house. I can’t stand MP3s. Such garbage sound, even in my convertible with the top down on it’s bad 20 year old radio. You can just hear the dropped notes.

Well ... Iger did say they are going to start dropping select stuff from D+ / Hulu to generate $$$. Looks like it's coming much sooner than later.

Growing List Of D+ / Hulu Titles Leaving as Early as May 26

This list may get larger, and includes stuff like Willow and the Benedict Society

Big Shot [Disney+]
Turner & Hooch [Disney+]
The Mysterious Benedict Society [Disney+]
The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers [Disney+]
Willow [Disney+]
The Making Of Willow [Disney+]
Diary of a Future President [Disney+]
Just Beyond [Disney+]
The World According to Jeff Goldblum [Disney+]
Marvel’s Project Hero [Disney+]
Marvel’s MPower [Disney+]
Marvel’s Voices Rising: The Music of Wakanda Forever [Disney+]
Y: The Last Man [FX/Hulu]
Pistol [FX/Hulu]
Little Demon [FX/Hulu]
Maggie [Hulu]
Dollface [Hulu]
The Hot Zone [Nat Geo/Hulu]
The Premise [Hulu]
Love in the Time of Corona [Hulu]
Everything’s Trash [Hulu]
Best in Snow [Hulu]
Best in Dough [Hulu]
Darby and the Dead [Hulu]
The Quest [Hulu]
Rosaline [Disney+]
Cheaper by the Dozen remake [Disney+]
The One and Only Ivan [Disney+]
Stargirl [Disney+]
Artemis Fowl [Disney+]
The Princess [Disney+]
Encore! [Disney+]
A Spark Story [Disney+]
Black Beauty [Disney+]
Clouds [Disney+]
America the Beautiful [Disney+]
Better Nate Than Ever [Disney+]
Weird but True! [Disney+]
Timmy Failure [Disney+]
Be Our Chef [Disney+]
Magic Camp [Disney+]
Howard [Disney+]
Earth to Ned [Disney+]
Foodtastic [Disney+]
Stuntman [Disney+]
Disney Fairy Tale Weddings [Disney+]
Wolfgang [Disney+]
It’s a Dog’s Life with Bill Farmer [Disney+]
The Real Right Stuff [Disney+]
The Big Fib [Disney+]
Rogue Trip [Disney+]
More Than Robots [Disney+]
Shop Class [Disney+]
Pick the Litter [Disney+]
Own the Room [Disney+]
Among the Stars [Disney+]
Harmonious Live! [Disney+]
Pentatonix: Around the World for the Holidays [Disney+]
At least nothing was added since last night….
Though I’d imagine Hollywood Stargirl will also be removed as it’s the sequel to Stargirl which is getting the ax
Hopefully all of these aren't going next week. If you're going to remove stuff, a little head's up would have been nice :mad:
I don’t know if it’s a mass exodus May 26th or if it’s gradually on or before that date

It’s a shame because a lot of these titles were on my list of things to stream this summer/while network tv was delayed due to the strike

Hopefully at minimum I can finish out Benedict Society, Future President & get to Howard & Rosaline which I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about

Welcome to the new age “Disney Vault”… only this time, you may not get out

You 100% won’t get out which is a shame… I’d rather a vault cycle for originals instead of turning them into lost media because they won’t give the creators the credit they deserve (aka residuals)
Actors, Directors, Producers... and writers.

But I agree... something like Disney Fairy Tale Weddings that is really just as much and advertisement. Don't see removing it, unless there is a newer version.

But all streamers swap out content.... help to actually build some artificial demand.
There is probably a residual thing to it even though one of the hosts is no longer with us
Probably in the minority here, but DS and I just finished season 2 of the "Doogie" reboot-- loved both seasons... the setting is beautiful, and love the family dynamic (the father cracks us up!). Now reading not coming back for a season 3-- BOO !!!!
I’m still mid season 2 I keep refreshing lists to see if I need to binge that this weekend as well
Honestly at this point I don’t expect anything that isn’t marvel/Star Wars to get much of a chance

I’m still waiting to hear if the fourth and more than likely final season of HSMTMTS is even still happening at this point cause I know Julia Lester has been busy getting Tony nominated and idk if it even filmed yet

Probably in the minority here, but DS and I just finished season 2 of the "Doogie" reboot-- loved both seasons... the setting is beautiful, and love the family dynamic (the father cracks us up!). Now reading not coming back for a season 3-- BOO !!!!
I’ve really enjoyed the Doogie show

But the stuff is alread done and released. I don't really understand how it all works. It seems like streaming is steeped in some questionable accounting practices.
What Disney is doing is just standard accounting practice. Streaming shows don't just hit the income statement right when they're released. Those costs have an amortization schedule similar to how buildings and equipment have depreciation schedules.

I don't know if Disney has released how they amortize their Disney+ content but I believe Netflix has an accelerated amortization model that amortizes 90% of the shows cost in the first over 3 or 4 years and the rest over the next few years. The accelerated amortization in the first few years is due to most viewings of a show or movie happen in the first few years.

Since Disney is taking the shows off their service, they're effectively going to fully amortize the remaining costs of that content in the period it gets taken off vs spreading those costs over multiple years.

What Disney is doing is just standard accounting practice. Streaming shows don't just hit the income statement right when they're released. Those costs have an amortization schedule similar to how buildings and equipment have depreciation schedules.

I don't know if Disney has released how they amortize their Disney+ content but I believe Netflix has an accelerated amortization model that amortizes 90% of the shows cost in the first over 3 or 4 years and the rest over the next few years. The accelerated amortization in the first few years is due to most viewings of a show or movie happen in the first few years.

Since Disney is taking the shows off their service, they're effectively going to fully amortize the remaining costs of that content in the period it gets taken off vs spreading those costs over multiple years.

Thanks. That sounds like some kind of scam, or possibly scamola. 🤣

Reopening Date Announced for Peter Pan’s Flight at Disneyland

Peter Pan’s Flight at Disneyland will close for a refurbishment beginning June 5. According to the Disneyland Resort calendar, it will reopen on June 30.

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, and The Little Mermaid – Ariel’s Undersea Adventureare also closing for refurbishment on June 5 but will reopen earlier.

The Little Mermaid – Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, which is located in Paradise Gardens Park at Disney California Adventure, will reopen on Thursday, June 8.

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride and Alice in Wonderland will reopen on June 16. These two Fantasyland rides are in the same building as Peter Pan’s Flight, so the refurbishment may have to do with the entire structure rather than the individual rides.

New Look at ‘Steamboat Willie’ Splash Pad at The Villas at Disneyland Hotel

IMG_0894.jpeg

Mickey Mouse captured the heart of audiences everywhere with his nautical shenanigans in the iconic Walt Disney Animation Studios short, “Steamboat Willie.” Soon you will be invited to join his zany steamboat journey in a brand new splash pad at The Villas at Disneyland Hotel dedicated to the endearing creativity and adventurous spirit of everyone’s favorite deckhand!

Beginning on September 28, 2023, guests staying at this exciting new Disney Vacation Club property will have the opportunity to bask in the California sun in the brand-new Palette Pool area, an inviting oasis designed for relaxation and play.

The new refreshing retreat includes the Palette Pool, Palm Breeze Bar, and a whimsical splash pad incorporating elements from “Steamboat Willie.”

Last edited:

DEADLINE UPDATE

UPDATE FRIDAY: Howard will not be removed from Disney+. The documentary about famous Little Mermaid lyricist Howard Ashman was on the original list of titles set to be pulled May 26 that Disney had sent out to partners. The list is being reevaluated, and there could be additional changes, a rep for Disney said.

2nd UPDATE: As the list is being finalized, several other Disney+ titles that had been earmarked for removal are staying on, A Spark Story, Marvel’s MPower and Marvel’s Voices Rising: The Music of Wakanda Forever. The roster below has been updated to reflect that.

Can Disney PR get anything correct!? This is a cluster, and in my opinion they're scrambling to deal with the uproar

DEADLINE UPDATE

UPDATE FRIDAY: Howard will not be removed from Disney+. The documentary about famous Little Mermaid lyricist Howard Ashman was on the original list of titles set to be pulled May 26 that Disney had sent out to partners. The list is being reevaluated, and there could be additional changes, a rep for Disney said.

2nd UPDATE: As the list is being finalized, several other Disney+ titles that had been earmarked for removal are staying on, A Spark Story, Marvel’s MPower and Marvel’s Voices Rising: The Music of Wakanda Forever. The roster below has been updated to reflect that.

Can Disney PR get anything correct!? This is a cluster, and in my opinion they're scrambling to deal with the uproar
Also the film Flora & Ulysses which hasn’t been on the initial lists that were circulating as far as I saw last night has been added to the removal list

Also the film Flora & Ulysses which hasn’t been on the initial lists that were circulating as far as I saw last night has been added to the removal list

Disney will need to swap content to keep to their metrics. Latest from Disney was

The list is being reevaluated, and there could be additional changes, a rep for Disney said

Time to sit back for the next week and watch social media in action, embarrassing the heck out of whatever removal list Disney ends up with

Disney will need to swap content to keep to their metrics. Latest from Disney was

The list is being reevaluated, and there could be additional changes, a rep for Disney said

Time to sit back for the next week and watch social media in action, embarrassing the heck out of whatever removal list Disney ends up with
I just wish they would post a definitive list especially with them leaving next Friday

I only have so many hours

Wow, I'm shocked Cali is keeping Fantasmic down that long! Here's hoping the summer replacement show is worth watching in the meantime.

We go the week into weekend before Labor Day. So, fingers crossed they run a tiny bit early and we get a soft open?

Wow, I'm shocked Cali is keeping Fantasmic down that long! Here's hoping the summer replacement show is worth watching in the meantime.

We go the week into weekend before Labor Day. So, fingers crossed they run a tiny bit early and we get a soft open?
What summer replacement show? I don't remember seeing anything about a replacement show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter