Disney movies (not animated) recommendations :)

La Stilla

Mouseketeer
Hello gals and guys. I need some recommendations of movies that Disney did in the 60/70/80's. I have seen just a few, I seem to lost track of them somehow, because they are so many. From more recent, I like "Hocus pocus", "Oz the great and powerfull", and "Beauty & the Beast" & "Cinderella". But I want movies from a while back. I think they outa be more positive and enjoyable than the new ones. :jumping1:

There are so many, but it will depend on what you like. If you want musicals, obviously there's Mary Poppins, but also lesser-known spiritual follow-ups Benknobs and Broomsticks and Pete's Dragon. If you like the kind of goofy comedies, there's The Cat From Outer Space or The Absent-Minded Professor. I really liked Snowball Express which I watched recently. There's a stirng of personal favorites in the late 70's/Early 80's that weren't always well liked, but I love them: The Black Hole, TRON, Watcher in the Woods, Something Wicked This Way Comes (those last two are not on D+ I don't think). If you really want to see something wild and a little freaky, there's the 1980's Return to Oz, which is bizzare but pretty good. Post your thorughts if you check any of them out. Enjoy!

Watch Willow! Disney didn't make it, but they own the rights now (through Lucasfilm, I think). It's on Disney+.

There are so many, but it will depend on what you like. If you want musicals, obviously there's Mary Poppins, but also lesser-known spiritual follow-ups Benknobs and Broomsticks and Pete's Dragon. If you like the kind of goofy comedies, there's The Cat From Outer Space or The Absent-Minded Professor. I really liked Snowball Express which I watched recently. There's a stirng of personal favorites in the late 70's/Early 80's that weren't always well liked, but I love them: The Black Hole, TRON, Watcher in the Woods, Something Wicked This Way Comes (those last two are not on D+ I don't think). If you really want to see something wild and a little freaky, there's the 1980's Return to Oz, which is bizzare but pretty good. Post your thorughts if you check any of them out. Enjoy!

Hi. I now realized that I've seen "Watcher in the woods" few years back, and I loved it. "Something wicked this way comes"sounds awesome and I downloaded it few days ago. Ooooh, we don't have Disney + :( I am downloading from internet. Today I watched "Moonspinners", it was cute flick. I am more for the underrated movies, so gonna check on those you recommended. Thank you so much. Post others if you remember please.

Hi. I now realized that I've seen "Watcher in the woods" few years back, and I loved it. "Something wicked this way comes"sounds awesome and I downloaded it few days ago. Ooooh, we don't have Disney + :( I am downloading from internet. Today I watched "Moonspinners", it was cute flick. I am more for the underrated movies, so gonna check on those you recommended. Thank you so much. Post others if you remember please.

Moonspinners is a great one!

You can always go witht anything with Hayley Mills or Dean Jones, or even the somewhat goofy Kurt Russell ones (Dexter Riley trilogy). If you liked Watcher in the Woods you should like Somethign WIcked This Way Comes. They have a similar vibe.

I will also recommend The Isalnd at the Top of the World, and if you are wanting to go back further, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is a personal favorite!

Moonspinners is a great one!

You can always go witht anything with Hayley Mills or Dean Jones, or even the somewhat goofy Kurt Russell ones (Dexter Riley trilogy). If you liked Watcher in the Woods you should like Somethign WIcked This Way Comes. They have a similar vibe.

I will also recommend The Isalnd at the Top of the World, and if you are wanting to go back further, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is a personal favorite!

thank you so much!! BTW: Is TRON good? I've just read about it.

thank you so much!! BTW: Is TRON good? I've just read about it.

Well, I personally love TRON - as a child of the 80's who was very into video games (including the very fine arcade game of the same name), TRON hit all my buttons. Those computerized special effects were amazing a tthe time too. The story is a little stilted though and maybe simplistic. I can see not everyone getting into it. Because of the way it was made though (which is fascinating), I see it as a work of high art, that easily surpasses any shortcomings. Plus it's got Jeff Bridges - if his charisma can't win you over then nothing can! I really enjoy it, and also the much later sequel, TRON Legacy. Legacy is more of your typical modern action/sci-fi movie - still fun though.

That reminds me of another good one form my 80's childhood - Flight of the Navigator.

So I downloaded "Summer magic"; "Something wicked this way comes","TRON", "In search of the castaways" and "That darn cat!" (1965 that is). I need Disney in my life.

Well, I personally love TRON - as a child of the 80's who was very into video games (including the very fine arcade game of the same name), TRON hit all my buttons. Those computerized special effects were amazing a tthe time too. The story is a little stilted though and maybe simplistic. I can see not everyone getting into it. Because of the way it was made though (which is fascinating), I see it as a work of high art, that easily surpasses any shortcomings. Plus it's got Jeff Bridges - if his charisma can't win you over then nothing can! I really enjoy it, and also the much later sequel, TRON Legacy. Legacy is more of your typical modern action/sci-fi movie - still fun though.

That reminds me of another good one form my 80's childhood - Flight of the Navigator.
Thank you, I downloaded "TRON". I am gonna enjoy it tonight. :lovestruc :cheer2:

So I downloaded "Summer magic"; "Something wicked this way comes","TRON", "In search of the castaways" and "That darn cat!" (1965 that is). I need Disney in my life.

Ooh - In Search of the Castaways is a good one! That is also based on a lesser known Jules Verne story called Captain Grant's Children which even has a character that also appears on 20,000 Leagues (the book, not the movie). Watch out on that one - I have a DVD and while the movie was soft-matted to be shown on TV, they actually pan-and-scanned the widescreen copy - weird (sorry if that's too movie-geek for you). I wish they would put a legit copy on D+ for that one.

The Kurt Russel Medfield movies.
Witch Mountain movies
The Mouseketeers go the Walt Disney World (includes commercials from the seventies on Disney plus).
They all hit that “clean unspoiled spot”.

The Kurt Russel Medfield movies.
Witch Mountain movies
The Mouseketeers go the Walt Disney World (includes commercials from the seventies on Disney plus).
They all hit that “clean unspoiled spot”.
"The witch mountain" attracts me too. How many parts are there? Remakes? I want to watch the original ones first... gonna need years. Thank you guys so much.

Ooh - In Search of the Castaways is a good one! That is also based on a lesser known Jules Verne story called Captain Grant's Children which even has a character that also appears on 20,000 Leagues (the book, not the movie). Watch out on that one - I have a DVD and while the movie was soft-matted to be shown on TV, they actually pan-and-scanned the widescreen copy - weird (sorry if that's too movie-geek for you). I wish they would put a legit copy on D+ for that one.
Side note, I wonder why they never made Verne's "Carpathian castle" novel. NOW that would be so awesome. Or even, "Phantom of the Opera"...

"The witch mountain" attracts me too. How many parts are there? Remakes? I want to watch the original ones first... gonna need years. Thank you guys so much.

There are two originals: Escape to Witch Mountain and Return from Witch Mountain. Then there is a TV movie Beyond Witch Mountain which ws going to be a series, but it contradicts the original movies. There is a remake for TV in 1995, then Race to Wtich Mountain which is like sorta a sequel but also a remake - like one of those movies where the characters aare all new and theoretically takes place after the original events, but the events are strikingly similar. It was all right.

There are two originals: Escape to Witch Mountain and Return from Witch Mountain. Then there is a TV movie Beyond Witch Mountain which ws going to be a series, but it contradicts the original movies. There is a remake for TV in 1995, then Race to Wtich Mountain which is like sorta a sequel but also a remake - like one of those movies where the characters aare all new and theoretically takes place after the original events, but the events are strikingly similar. It was all right.
Gonna watch the originals. I hope they are good, warmhearted movies. The animated ones I've seen like million times, and I need more.There is new one coming on March the 1st...Im waiting eagerly.

Gonna watch the originals. I hope they are good, warmhearted movies. The animated ones I've seen like million times, and I need more.There is new one coming on March the 1st...Im waiting eagerly.

If I recall, the first one is pretty good and Return is...not as good. I was excited to buyt hem when they were first released on DVD and I remember being a little disappointed by the second one. It's been a while though.

Last edited:
Escape to Witch Mountain is the original. It is sweet and is so Disney seventies. The second one- Return to Witch Mountain is one notch cornier but nostalgic. Fast forward- The Rock made Race to Witch Mountain. It is the Tron Legacy of the Witch Mountains. 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter