Disney Moderate Resorts

Schachteles

DIS Veteran
My husband is going for a conference in May at the Swan and Dolphin hotel. His company has offered to fly myself and our kids too! But the price of the S&D is a little steep (and we don't want to be greedy)...so we are looking at the Moderate Resorts. If you had to chose between Caribbean Beach, Corondo Springs, Port Orleans-French Quarter or Port Orleans-Riverside, which would you chose?

Also, will he be able to easily access the S&D from these hotels should we decide to not get a car?

THANKS, Kim

In just 9 short days I will be staying at the Coronado Springs so I can't give you much informaiton on it yet!!! However I see you have little ones...I stayed at the POFQ when my kids were little and it was WONDERFUL!! The resort is not to big that walking became a chore with them, the pool is nice size and they loved the slide, the food court had things that they liked...it would be my choice with little ones. Have a great time!

the problem is easy access to d/s....

the easy way to get there is to take the bus to the studios.... but this bus only starts around an hour before the park opens....at 9am

so if he has a meeting that starts at say 8:15 am or before - he would need to take a taxi..... unless studio is open early that day.

you use to be able to a bus to MK (the only one with early entry) and then switch over to the resort buses - in this case - D/S, BW or BC/YC - all are in walking distance.

but WDW no longer has early entry every day....

just depends upon when his meeting start - does he know that in advance?

don't decide against the s/d until you check out the rates here.
http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/totallist.cfm

this ta can generally get better prices than other ones - because of their relationship with each other through the dis.

that is if his work allows him to use a ta - some only allow you to use their inside ta..... (ours does)

oh for your choices - POR or POFQ - both are nice and not to far from D/S....
well CBR is the closest considering he will be going back and forward through the studio buses (not epcot buses). but the CBR really requires alot more walking.... if you like to walk you will love this place.

if not go with POFQ is your kids are little (under the age of 8) - and for bigger kids go with POR.... (determined by the swimming pools)

Aside from the themeing all the moderates are generally pretty similar. Some food courts may be slightly better then others, but its pretty much the same food. The rooms are almost identical as well. I would get together with your family and decide which resort theme appeals to you the most, and make your decision based on that. My favorite is the CBR, because I love the island feel.

Like someone else mentioned, transportation may be an issue for you, so you may want to check the S/D rates again before you make your decision.

CSR is a large resort that does not share services with other resorts and offers some deluxe amenities because it is a convention resort.

CSR has a salon, spa, and a gym that other moderates do not offer. CSR has full menu room service and offers an internal shuttle system provided by golf carts to assist in getting to and from the main building to the villages.

It is also the only mod to offer suites.

CSR is situated around a 15 acre lake and CBR is situated around a 45 acre lake.

CSR has terrific transportation. It does not share with any other resort (like POR / POFQ) and it only has 4 bus stops within the resort (vs 8 at CBR). And since CSR is centrally located, you'll have a quick ride to all the parks.

And being a convention resort, the buses seem less crowded because guests are busy with their conventions.

eim9ut.jpg

Photo by Ducky4Disney

ehybeg.jpg

ea5ytc.jpg

ea5z7l.jpg

fod6wm.jpg

fod75f.jpg

fod8n4.jpg

CSR has the best pool of the mods and probably the second best on WDW property. Best mod pool. It offers a great slide (123 ft long), an arcade, a sand volleyball court, and a playground at the main pool area.

eaqyk9.jpg

o54511.jpg

c73cd4e144.jpg

Review from mousesavers.com!!

Coronado Springs is my Best Value choice in the Moderate category. It has several advantages compared with the other Moderate resorts. It is newer, so there has been less wear-and-tear on everything. Also, Coronado Springs is a convention hotel, so it has a few extra amenities not offered at the other Moderates, including a salon, a health club and a more upscale food court.

The theming is radically different in the three areas of Coronado Springs. You can request a specific area when booking but there is no guarantee you'll get your request.
  • The Spanish-style Casitas at Coronado Springs are very peaceful, with courtyards featuring tiled fountains. Casitas Buildings 1, 3 and 2 (in that order) are the closest to the restaurants and services. Casitas Building 4 contains the salon and health club, if those are important to you.
  • The Cabanas at Coronado Springs have a beachy Caribbean feeling. Cabanas Building 8A is very close to the feature pool, which may be a blessing (convenience) or a curse (noise, light). Cabanas Building 9B is closest to the marina and relatively convenient to the restaurants and services.
  • The Ranchos at Coronado Springs feel quiet and secluded -- some would say isolated -- and feature desert landscaping and pueblo-style architecture. They look closest to the main pool on a map, but in actuality they are separated from the rest of the property by a swamp, so it can be a fairly long walk from these buildings to the pool, and a very long walk to the restaurants.

This is strictly personal preference, based on 27 stays at POR, formerly (and always to us) Dixie Landings. It's always been our favorite moderate resort.

CBR all the way! I have never understood why people complain about CBR being a large resort, and thus alot of walking. In our experiences staying there was no more walking than at the other resorts. If you don't feel like walking, you can always take the internal shuttles, that's what they are there for! CBR is a gorgeous and very well themed resort! The food court is a favorite of my 8 year old daughters as is the pool. My husband loves the hammocks on the beach. You won't be disappointed with CBR! :cheer2:

Not super-easy. The closest Moderate Resort to the Swan is Caribbean Beach. However, there's no direct bus from resort to resort. Probably the cheapest way would be for him to take the bus from CBR to MGM, then either walk or take the boat from there to the Swan/Dolphin. The most efficient method would be for him to take a cab - at least to the convention in the mornings. At the end of the day, while he might be anxious to get back to you and the resort, reversing the above routing is cheap if not fast. But he should check with the convention sponsors - there may be a special rate for attendees.

for POFQ! We stayed there last October for the first time after only having stayed at deluxes before and TOTALLY loved it! Great themeing, good rooms, incredible pool and smaller than the other moderates. Great bus service and you can take the boat to DTD.
Although if you could swing the Swan/Dolphin, it is an incredible resort complex and the best location ever!

Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter