• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Marathon FAQ...update 3/16/08 (recipes link Nutrition sec.)

Angie

One technique for blisters is vaseline on the blister and skin, then a bandaid, then white athletic tape. I've used this since the 1970's to good effect.

A newer way is the second skin Bill mentioned. The stuff is pretty magical. You can find it at Pharmacies and it's a plastic layer, very cool and soothing. I got a terrible heel blister in the half of the 2006 Goofy and they put it on the spot in the medical area after the race. I was very concerned I wouldn't even be able to start the marathon the next day, but I found second skin on Saturday, and on Sunday morning applied:

Vaseline
Second Skin
White athletic tape
Socks, 2 thin layers
Vaseline on the socks and the shoes in the hot areas

And I had zero trouble through the full.

Also, I always run in 2 sock layers. A super thin layer closest to the skin, and a wright's double layer sock over that. This works well, until I rub off the padding inside the right heel of the shoe, then the blisters appear.

Good luck

Craig

Thanks Craig for this wonderful remedy.

You know the best place (in my opinion) to scream team for the 1/2 is? Mile 8-9 around the Grand Floridian and Polynesian. It's easy to get there (monorail to the Poly and then walk out the parking lot), not a ton of people there, so it's not super crowded, and that's getting to the hard part of the course: the fun of the MK is over and you still have a few miles to go. Stephen and my Dad cheered from there in 2006 and it was HUGE having them there at that point in the race for me. Actually what Dad and Stephen did for Mom and me in 2006 and what Mom and I did for Stephen and Dad in 2007 was drive to Epcot, take the monorail to the TTA, walk out by the dog kennels, this is mile 4, after your runner crosses that point, walk across the TTA into the Poly and across the Poly parking lot, this is mile 8-9, after your runner crosses, walk back to the Poly, monorail to Epcot for the finish. This works for the full as well as it is mile 9, mile 11-12, and then the finish.

Pat--We'll be at the Pop and I'll have a car if you need a ride. Since it's just me (Stephen's taking the provided transportation), I'll have room for 3 or 4 people, depending on how crowded those in the back seat want to be. The only down side is we are checking out of the Pop and into SSR on Sunday, so we won't be driving back to the hotel after the marathon.

Good advice for scream teamers not meeting in BW area

My DD is in the race and her boyfriend has decided to run also. The problem is there all booked up. He was going to ask her to marry him at a certin point during the run:lmao: . So I'm trying to help him out by trying to find him a spot. They are not doing a wait list. So the question is anyone whos registered not going to run? Any other ideas would be wonderful. Thanks Tina

I've responded to Tina via PM to invite her to our main thread and offer an alternative for registering via fund raising efforts or I think Anthony Travel had some registrations for events. I've also explained that the registrations for WDW are non-transferable and that WDW checks IDs.

Does anyone know if you can change your anticipated finish time?

Good question---

Evaluate your reasons for changing it and then apply this answer accordingly. ;)

If you need to put in a faster time to move up a corral or guarantee a particular corral AND you have official race results supporting that, you just bring them to Expo when you are picking up your materials and they will help get you switched to a corral that matches your time.

If you want to change it b/c you anticipate going slower, there is no need to change it. You can stay in the same corral--or move back to a later corral if you like.

HOWEVER--they did something with staggered start times or something--so not sure how easy it is to move around to the back of the pack at the start. Also--the Full marathon has a red and blue start and you can't necessarily decide to start in a different color.

Bring your proof of time to Expo and they will help you.

Proof of time is a race finish time that supports your pace request for the half or full for races of 10K or greater within...I think...the past 18 months.

Good question---
Proof of time is a race finish time that supports your pace request for the half or full for races of 10K or greater within...I think...the past 18 months.

10 k is too short, 10 miles or longer, after July 1, 2005...

Quote from Disney Marathon website:
PROOF OF TIME

If you believe you will finish the Marathon sub 5:00 hours, proof of time is required.

Acceptable forms of proof of time are either a photocopy of finisher's certificate or a print out of race results. All forms of proof of time must be from a marathon, half marathon or any race 10 miles or longer, after July 1, 2005. If you do not provide of time you will be placed in the last start corral.

Corral placement is based on proof of time. If you are registered for the Marathon and did not provide proof of time, you will need to bring that proof of your estimated finish time to the Runner Relations booths after you pick up your race number and ChampionChip at the Health and Fitness Expo on Thursday, January 10, Friday, January 11, or Saturday, January 12, 2008. If no proof of time is provided, you will be placed in the last start corral.

Question:

Here's the sweep pickup times from previous events--if you do not reach a particular point by a particular time--you will be swept. It is clear by these times that this is the elapsed time from race start and NOT the elapsed time from when you cross the start line. So plan accordingly :
Mile Mark: Location Description: Time Allowed:
3.5 WALT DISNEY WORLD® Speedway 1:11:00
6.3 Magic Kingdom® Park Security Gate 1:56:00
8.1 Magic Kingdom® Parking Lot (Daisy) 2:25:00
10.2 World Drive Ramp to EPCOT® Center
Drive 2:58:00

Must say this scares me...Lisa what does this really mean - large crowd - I cross the START 20 minutes after the first runner crossed the start...Am I having to make up the time difference between when they started and I start? :crazy2:

Must say this scares me...Lisa what does this really mean - large crowd - I cross the START 20 minutes after the first runner crossed the start...Am I having to make up the time difference between when they started and I start? :crazy2:

The sweep time clock actually starts when the LAST runner crosses the start. So if you cross the start two min ahead of the last runner, you get a two minute cushion!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter