Disney Magic rescues 18 lost at sea!

From SuziQZee: I think it would be really interesting to watch the CMs in action! How do you "tie up" a small boat to a huge ship?? And what do you do with the small boat after it's empty? If you bring it onboard....how?

I was actually on the ship for that cruise, and my friends and I had stayed up until about 345 in Diversions when one of our friends noticed something in the water: the little dingy boat! We ran up to the 4th deck and watched as Disney lowered a lifeboat and dragged the Algerians around the ship. It was truly a sight to see, and it makes a great story to tell, too! Hahaha

I was also on the ship and although this was a bit of excitement, it won't end well for the rescued people.

They got taken off of the ship at death o'clock and straight into a Police van. The Spanish authorities will deport them before they even get their feet dried. They are very, very strict.

I was also on the ship and although this was a bit of excitement, it won't end well for the rescued people.

They got taken off of the ship at death o'clock and straight into a Police van. The Spanish authorities will deport them before they even get their feet dried. They are very, very strict.

Any time someone is found at sea they ahve to be taken into custody because they could be bad. The cops there are strict but if these algerians have nothing to hide, then they will be released. Most likely back to Algeria. pirate:

That is amazing.....and this is not the first time the Magic has come to the aid of people in need.

We were on the Magic years ago on a caribbean cruise and we had to stop to offer aid to a very small rowboat that had 4 or 5 adult men and young boy. It was very sad to see them bobbing around in the boat with tattered clothing but because of Coast Guard regulations (we were told) we could not bring them aboard. We tied up to the rowboat and CM's were tossing water and food in their boat but we had to wait for the CG to come. When CG ship came the refugees got very nervous and were jumping in the water to get away. They were picked up the CG vessel and we brought the rowboat onboard. It was sad as we heard that they had fled Cuba and were lost at seas without supplies for a few days and were most likely now headed back there.

MJ

^^^ So I wonder how it is possible the Algerians got picked up then. Don't get me wrong I'm glad they are safe, but this leaves me with the following questions. Is there a difference between Algerians fleeing economic hardship and Cubans fleeing a totalitarian Communist dictatorship? Are there different Coast Guard regulations for different people in distress at sea in international waters?

^^^ So I wonder how it is possible the Algerians got picked up then. Don't get me wrong I'm glad they are safe, but this leaves me with the following questions. Is there a difference between Algerians fleeing economic hardship and Cubans fleeing a totalitarian Communist dictatorship? Are there different Coast Guard regulations for different people in distress at sea in international waters?

The US Coast Guard would not be involved in anything like this in the Med. because it is out of it's jurisdiction.

It is the difference between the regulation in the US as opposed to those of other countries. In many ways it makes me feel very sad.

The US Coast Guard has no authority in international waters...

I was under the impression maritime law dictated that assistance be given to any ship or vessel in distress at sea, regardless of location or nationality of passengers aboard said vessel. I guess my question is this. Why were the Algerians picked up and brought aboard the Magic while the Cubans were left to be picked up by the Coast Guard? Surely there must be the equivalent of a Spanish Coast Guard in the Mediterranean.

I was under the impression maritime law dictated that assistance be given to any ship or vessel in distress at sea, regardless of location or nationality of passengers aboard said vessel. I guess my question is this. Why were the Algerians picked up and brought aboard the Magic while the Cubans were left to be picked up by the Coast Guard? Surely there must be the equivalent of a Spanish Coast Guard in the Mediterranean.

Although it is a requirement of signatory countries to render aid to those in peril at sea, it is not a requirement to embark them. As the PP stated, the Cuban refugees were kept alongside until the USCG showed up and embarked them, therefore I would speculate that the weather conditions, amount of daylight remaining and estimated time of arrival by USCG units dictated that the risk was acceptable to leave the Cubans in the boat. Also as the PP stated, the cubans tried to swim away from the USCG, could you imagine if they were on DCL and saw the CG, they may have "ran" and that would have been quite the scene!

Its not an issue MAGIC making the decision alone, I am sure they were advised by the USCG to "stand by" the cuban boat until the USCG asset arrived.

As for the Algerians, I cannot speculate as much here but I would guess that the Spanish CG does not have the same capabilities both in terms of communications, assets nor the experience the USCG has in dealing with migrants.

Cubans are very rarely are happy to see the USCG unless things are going wrong and their lives are in imminent danger, as they know they will most likely be going back to cuba if the USCG gets them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter