Disney Magic rescues 18 lost at sea!

Silly question: Does rescueing all of these people slow your cruise down? Are you able to still go to all of your destinations and stay for the set amount of time or does it cut into your cruisetime.

For the most part no.Unless they spend an lot of time searching for someone, then you for the most part only have an interesting story to tell.If for some reason that the person they bring on board has to be medevaced off the ship, depending on where the ship is,it may impact the cruise as to coming into ports late, or even canceling a stop.It all depends on the location. In the Bahamas/Carribean,you probably wont notice it at all, since the stops are so close, snd the US is close enough that the CG can reach fairly quick.

No it doesn't make a difference on your cruise. My old boss was on a Disney cruise when the ship had to actually turn around during the night after leaving Port Canaveral because someone had died. They made it to the port the next day a little late, but not late enough to miss any shore excursions, but then to make it best for everyone they stayed in port a couple hours longer that day. They turned around because it was quicker then to wait for the Coast Guard to come out and remove the person, they probably pulled into Key West to do this and then immediately left.

you know the news only likes to report bad news not good news

We do not. But as of 11:30 am when I left work today this had not crossed the wires, or come in from our network..ABC (owned by Disney).

Just did a Google search, other than here, it is nowhere on the internet.

well done to all crew onboard the magic!!

I sent the tip to CNN; we'll see if they pick it up. They'd of course need to validate it, perhaps with DCL first.

I sent the tip to CNN; we'll see if they pick it up. They'd of course need to validate it, perhaps with DCL or the Coast Guard, first.

I also told my local news station. I hope Disney decides to release info about this. I think it will be great publicity for them. pirate:

The news has been slowly spreading. It has been on a few websites but no national news sites. pirate:

This is what Disney has released While sailing from Gibraltar to Barcelona, the Disney Magic rescued 18 people who were aboard a small boat that had lost power. The boat was located by the Disney Magic crew members around 3:45 a.m. today, and the people were brought aboard the ship and provided with food and staterooms.

We are proud of the Disney Magic crew members, who skillfully demonstrated their training and commitment to maritime protocols around saving lives at sea. We have notified authorities in Barcelona of this rescue, and they are coordinating the debarkation of the group and other details.

The news has been slowly spreading. It has been on a few websites but no national news sites. pirate:

This is what Disney has released While sailing from Gibraltar to Barcelona, the Disney Magic rescued 18 people who were aboard a small boat that had lost power. The boat was located by the Disney Magic crew members around 3:45 a.m. today, and the people were brought aboard the ship and provided with food and staterooms.

We are proud of the Disney Magic crew members, who skillfully demonstrated their training and commitment to maritime protocols around saving lives at sea. We have notified authorities in Barcelona of this rescue, and they are coordinating the debarkation of the group and other details.

I contacted DCL Media Relations and got the same statement.

I think it would be really interesting to watch the CMs in action! How do you "tie up" a small boat to a huge ship?? And what do you do with the small boat after it's empty? If you bring it onboard....how?

Wow, quite a story!!! Way to go Disney Magic! I'm so glad those 18 are safe!

I hadn't seen anything on the news or online so thank you for posting this information. It's nice to know that Disney took the time to find these people and assist them.

I'm just glad that they all were safe. No one has asked this question though, What happened that these 18 people ended up in the water?

Most likely Algerian migrants, they have the same problems in the med that we have in Straits of Florida, too many desperate people in boats that are overcrowded, not very seaworthy hoping to make it to a better place.....

I think it would be really interesting to watch the CMs in action! How do you "tie up" a small boat to a huge ship?? And what do you do with the small boat after it's empty? If you bring it onboard....how?

Very slowly, approach from downwind as not to blow down on the smaller boat, through a line and pull them over. Most often then not the boat/raft/tube/ 59 Buick!! is not brought aboard, its is either destroyed (diesel and flares, rammed, shot) or its position is marked and reported.

But.....in this case, I am sure Tink flew over a rope and whole gang tugged it in close. Way to go MAGIC:thumbsup2

Most likely Algerian migrants, they have the same problems in the med that we have in Straits of Florida, too many desperate people in boats that are overcrowded, not very seaworthy hoping to make it to a better place.....

Very slowly, approach from downwind as not to blow down on the smaller boat, through a line and pull them over. Most often then not the boat/raft/tube/ 59 Buick!! is not brought aboard, its is either destroyed (diesel and flares, rammed, shot) or its position is marked and reported.

But.....in this case, I am sure Tink flew over a rope and whole gang tugged it in close. Way to go MAGIC:thumbsup2

I really like the image of Tink helping out!!

I checked out the "59 Buick" and was amazed!!! I had no idea that things like that existed!! That's amazing that they can make cars water tight enough to get across the water!!! Thanks for the link!

No it doesn't make a difference on your cruise. My old boss was on a Disney cruise when the ship had to actually turn around during the night after leaving Port Canaveral because someone had died. They made it to the port the next day a little late, but not late enough to miss any shore excursions, but then to make it best for everyone they stayed in port a couple hours longer that day. They turned around because it was quicker then to wait for the Coast Guard to come out and remove the person, they probably pulled into Key West to do this and then immediately left.

On our Dec, 2001 Eastern Cruise on the Magic, someone had a heart attack during the night after we left Port Canaveral and the medical staff saved the guy's life. We stopped by a small island (could have been San Salvador Island) the next day to drop him off to be transported back to the States. The only thing we noticed was that the ship was stopped for a while during the time they ferried him to the island. We didn't find out the whole story until a sea day when the topic came up during a Q&A with the captain and he explained it.

Last June we made a stop on our Eastern Carib cruise at Puerto Rico late at night to drop off someone who needed medical help. I can't remember if we were even late arriving the next day. DCL is so efficient & the ambulance was ready. They loaded the person up & helped his companion off and then we were back on our way.

DSs loved seeing Puerto Rico at night. One area reminded us of Port Royal from POTC.

DCL CMs are WONDERFUL!

Silly question: Does rescueing all of these people slow your cruise down? Are you able to still go to all of your destinations and stay for the set amount of time or does it cut into your cruisetime.

We had no issues making it to our next destination (which was Barcelona) on time. Some of those rescued were put in the 2 rooms next to ours as the people who were in them got off in Gibraltar.

They posted someone outside their room at all times and we never saw them leave. One of them did require a wheelchair. There were numerous visits to the cabin by doctors etc. They were debarked early this morning and we weren't up yet.

They were also brought room service regularly, but I am sure the doctors were monitoring their diet. :)

Hiya Suzi!

Both the Magic and Wonder have their own built in retractable dock to bring a smaller ship alongside, it's how they work ports where they have to tender in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter