Disney Magic Overhaul

boac

Earning My Ears
Any one know when the Magic will go back in for updates and overhaul. What is planned for these updates?

It just came back from a major overhaul last month. It shouldn't go into dry dock again for another couple of years.

It just came back from a major overhaul last month. It shouldn't go into dry dock again for another couple of years.

Do you know what were the updates on the Magic's recent overhaul.. beside painting and cleaning...? Any structural changes.. anything added????

This last drydock was mainly spent fixing the hull after the CC accident. There is word that one of the magics officers said that they are planning on sending her on an even more exstensive overhaul in about three years. That dry dock is supposed to keep her up to snuff for five years. pirate:

This last drydock was mainly spent fixing the hull after the CC accident. There is word that one of the magics officers said that they are planning on sending her on an even more exstensive overhaul in about three years. That dry dock is supposed to keep her up to snuff for five years. pirate:

What was the CC incident? and thanks for your report...

The Magic was caught in a storm while docked at CC. The wind and waves pushed her into the dock and caused some damage to her hull. It also caused her to be late getting back to PC.

Yes, I remember.. and no one could get off the ship during the storm.. ouch....

She was in Drydock from Oct 2nd thru 13th in Freeport. She got updated carpet in deck 6 rooms, her deck 9 soda fountain was moved to increase the guest flow, and she got 2 new props, to replace the damaged ones from when she hit something in CC in Feb of this year. She also got upgraded behind the scenes laundry. Shell go back into drydock, in 2012. By maritime law, every ship has to be drydocked 2x in a 5 year period, for mandatory inspections of equipment that cant be inspected while the ship is in service, such as the sea intakes,fuel bunkers, water tanks etc.
The Wonder will do her next drydock next year on the west coast.The Dream most likely will start hers in 2012, and the Fantasy 2013. Where is anyones guess since frim ships officers accounts, they are not to happy with Freeports efforts on the Magics last drydock.

Most dry docks include a lot of cosmetic changes. Paint, adding the big screen TV, carpet. I think the Magic's last dry dock was mostly mechanical upgrades and repairs.
Most passengers getting on probably thought they didn't do much, but I bet cost wise, this had to be the most expensive and extensive dry dock either ship has had.

She was in Drydock from Oct 2nd thru 13th in Freeport. She got updated carpet in deck 6 rooms, her deck 9 soda fountain was moved to increase the guest flow, and she got 2 new props, to replace the damaged ones from when she hit something in CC in Feb of this year. She also got upgraded behind the scenes laundry. Shell go back into drydock, in 2012. By maritime law, every ship has to be drydocked 2x in a 5 year period, for mandatory inspections of equipment that cant be inspected while the ship is in service, such as the sea intakes,fuel bunkers, water tanks etc.
The Wonder will do her next drydock next year on the west coast.The Dream most likely will start hers in 2012, and the Fantasy 2013. Where is anyones guess since frim ships officers accounts, they are not to happy with Freeports efforts on the Magics last drydock.

Hope this means they will come back to Norfolk. It was great seeing them in dry dock.

Most dry docks include a lot of cosmetic changes. Paint, adding the big screen TV, carpet. I think the Magic's last dry dock was mostly mechanical upgrades and repairs.
Most passengers getting on probably thought they didn't do much, but I bet cost wise, this had to be the most expensive and extensive dry dock either ship has had.

Laundry is what I do for a living. You are very correct in that equipment being expensive and looking at it from a bean counter perspective only, they probably saved a huge amount bringing that gear onboard there instead of here. Now did that savings outweigh what others are reporting? That I couldn't tell you.

That's what I heard last year from an officer on the Wonder. That when the new ships are out both the Magic and the Wonder will under go $$$ million upgrades and will be in dry dock longer then the normal 2 weeks maybe months.

I really hope this is true. Both ships need to be upgraded just to compete with the Dream and Fantasy. Plus all the new technology that their pitting in the new ships needs to be on the other two. Look forward to the refurbished Magic and Wonder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter