Disney Magic January 14, 2020

Kimberly Lewis

Earning My Ears
Just booked my first ever Disney cruise! So excited. I want to learn from all the experiences other Disney Cruisers have had. Would love tips, fish extender information, pixie dust information basically tell me all the things

Last edited:
Just booked my first ever Disney cruise! So excited. I want to learn from all the experiences other Disney Cruisers have had. I created a Facebook group for this cruise date since I could not find one already created. Would love tips, fish extender information, pixie dust information basically tell me all the things.
Facebook group- Disney Magic Cruise January 14, 2020

Information about other social media sites - and directing people there - is not allowed.

Just booked my first ever Disney cruise! So excited. I want to learn from all the experiences other Disney Cruisers have had. I created a Facebook group for this cruise date since I could not find one already created. Would love tips, fish extender information, pixie dust information basically tell me all the things.
Facebook group- Disney Magic Cruise January 14, 2020

Congratulations! Don't forget to book your Princess Gathering and Frozen Meet and Greet in advance. The Magic has two of my favorite shows: Tangled and Twice Charmed. Enjoy!

OP, :welcome:.

Since you are new, you may not have read all of the rules. As mentioned previously, directing disboarders to other sites and social media, is against the Dis rules. You should edit your original post and remove the improper information.

Since you are new, you may not have read all of the rules. As mentioned previously, directing disboarders to other sites and social media, is against the Dis rules. You should edit your original post and remove the improper information.
Thanks I corrected it and removed the content.

Information about other social media sites - and directing people there - is not allowed.
Thanks I have corrected that!

My first time cruise rules
1) You Can't Eat It All - but now is the time to try something new ... because if you don't like what you ordered, your servers will be glad to bring you something else
2) You Can't Do It All - but sleep is for AFTER the cruise. The hardest part of a DCL cruise is deciding what NOT to do. Too many activities that overlap.
3) Assuming you are going to the Bahamas / Caribbean: Sunscreen Early and Often - the :sunny: SUN IS DIFFERENT that where you are from (usually) and sunburns are never any fun and especially not good while on holiday!!
4) Budget for Gratuities: tips are usually not included in your cruise fare (but you can prepay them as part of your payment to DCL). Don't stiff your waitstaff (3) and room steward (1)!!

Now for some (unpopular :confused3) advice ...
  • Skip the fish extenders if this is your first cruise ... you will be busy exploring the ship, doing things that you won't have time for this. And if you're flying in ... do you really want to lug all of that extra stuff TO the ship and then what you receive back home?
  • You really don't need 4 or more pairs of shoes ... Dress Shoes for dinner, tennis shoes for daytime, flip flops for the pool
  • Pirates Night / Star Wars / Marvel theme days: again do you want to take up valuable room in your luggage for "one time use" clothes? I would skip playing dress up unless you're really into that
  • Don't worry about the dinning rotation: you will get to visit all of the Main Dinning Rooms and have a table waiting for you at your assigned time. This is NOT like WDW where you have to plan where you will be and what you want to eat months in advance to even have a shot at getting a table a the restaurant of your choice

Other Advice (that's not so harsh)
  • Have Fun, Go With The Flow!! Life Happens, and not even a DCL cruise will be "perfect" but the crew will work to make it an excellent vacation for you and your family
  • Magic Happens. But Not Everything Happens To Everyone.
  • Take the stairs whenever possible ... the elevators are small and crowded. AND there's great Disney Art in the stairways. AND the more stairs you take, the more deserts you get to eat!!
  • Take time to walk on deck four ... great views of the ocean and a light workout (again, more desserts!!)
  • If you have kids, let them stay up later ... let them have fun in the kids clubs ... you can get them back on schedule when you get back home :rolleyes:
  • Thank the people that are working to make your vacation great, from the officers to the "Scrape, Varnish & Paint" crew.
  • Be Silly, Enjoy the moment!

Have a Great Trip!!

Seconding jrabbit's advice - don't stress yourself out with fish extenders and costumes unless that is REALLY important to you. Cruises require MUCH LESS planning than a trip to WDW. Other than deciding on excursions and maybe some of the kiddie activities, you really don't have to do anything beforehand.

Pack half of what you think you need. You didn't mention length of cruise. Assuming 7-night cruise pack 2 pair long pants (for dinners), 2 sundress or skirt outfits (for dinners and maybe excursions) and 2 pair shorts or capris (for hanging out and excursions). Throw in 5 or 6 tops and a couple of sweaters/ light jackets that match all the above. One pair nicer shoes, one pair sneakers, one pair flip-flops. 2 swimsuits and a cover-up. That's it. You can wear clothes twice - mix and match - no one will notice. And in a disaster, the laundry is convenient. Hubby should pack 2 pair long pants, 2-3 pair shorts, 3-4 t-shirts, 3-4 collared shirts, swimsuits, 1 pair nicer shoes, 1 pair sneakers and 1 pair flip-flops.

If your kids are old enough for the kids clubs, make sure they go the first night - that's when they do ice breakers and friendships start forming. If young enough for nursery, you may have to schedule that (mine never were). Let kids weigh in on excursions and do not do long driving excursions (like on a bus or trolley) with young children. They will be miserable as will everyone else on the excursion. The kids may need extra "downtime" to counter all the visual and sound input they will be bombarded with. You really can't do it all but enjoy what you do.

You don't HAVE to spend extra once on the cruise other than as mentioned, be prepared to provide AT LEAST the minimum suggested tips. These folks work SO HARD, they deserve it. DH and I often don't spend anything on shopping, photographs, alcoholic drinks, BINGO, Spa, etc. I occasionally have a glass of wine, we may do Palo once, and we do the Disney excursions (I have a phobia about non-Disney and missing the ship). But, that's about it for extra spending.

Congratulation! Is your cruise a 7 night or 4/5? Our first was a 7 night and that allowed enough time to experience a lot of what the ship has to offer, but you definitely can not do it all.

I scoured these boards before our first cruise and got tons of useful information.
I don’t cruise as often as a lot of folks on these boards but my family will be taking its 7th DCL in January.

Here are a few pointers.

1. Make sure you have all proof of residency to cruise, passport, or birth certificate and photo ID.
2. Fly in the day before the cruise
3. Pack a bag that you carry onboard. Bathing suit, sunscreen, hat, medications and anything you may need till your luggage arrives. Sometimes it’s not there till 5pm.
4. Learn the layout of the ship before you cruise.
5. Don’t fret your appointed boarding time. You will be on time for lunch.
6. Go to Cabana’s for lunch. Even if they directed you to a dining room.
7. Cabana is stations not a buffet line. So many people get in line, load up on too much food and then try to find a table. Get table first, get your drinks, check out what each station has to offer. Get some food, just a taste, you can go back for more. Enjoy!
8. Unpack when you get to your room.
9. Read Navigator, highlight or pick out on the APP things of interest. You can’t do all.
10. Dinner, you can try more than more appetizer or entree. DH and I like to share 3 of each. Portions are not huge. Same for desserts.
11.Definitely get to Buena Vista Theatre for a movie or two. Check APP to know inadvnce what is playing when.
12. Do get off the ship at the different ports. If $$ allows so some DCL excursions. DCL excursions will not leave the port without you!
13. Get to Adult only areas, pool, bars, spa, and Palo.
14. Palo Brunch...
15.Last chill, rest, sun and enjoy being out to sea. The view of the open sea is gorgeous.
Oh and there are great show, Pirate Night, games, trivia etc.....

Have a great cruise⚓

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter