Disney is PURPOSEFULLY building lines at The Great Movie Ride

They're purposefully building lines everywhere, so that people will buy into the "need" for FP+. Creating artificial demand for an unnecessary product is a time-honored tradition.

Is the fire ever used anymore?

Yep! Just this past weekend - I took pics. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~

FWIW, the posted wait time last weekend (Sunday, late morning) was 10 minutes; we waited all of 5, tops. Yes, we did walk through the side entrance, through the props area, and down several lengths of corral in the movie room, but we kept moving until the doors closed. At that point, we stood still for a minute or two, then moved through the doors when they opened and boarded. Two two-car vehicles in use, nearly all seats filled. Definitely no stacking of the line.

Do they even show the Cowboy scene anymore? I coudlnt tell you the last time i saw it.

I just got to see it for the very first time ever last Friday, and let me tell you I was pumped! I asked once to wait for it, I think on our '08 trip , and was told then that they don't run it at slow times of year so I haven't asked since. This trip, I just lucked into it. :thumbsup2

Is the fire ever used anymore?

Yes, we had the cowboy scene with fire during our visit the first week of December!

They're purposefully building lines everywhere, so that people will buy into the "need" for FP+. Creating artificial demand for an unnecessary product is a time-honored tradition.

I don't buy it.

I get that not everyone likes FP+, but I think this is taking things to a completely unnecessary level of paranoia and conspiracy-theorizing.

We were just at Disney, for our seventh trip and our fourth early-December trip. The lines were exactly what I expected them to be, no longer or shorter than would be predicted for a crowd level between 4 (on weekdays) and 6 (on weekends). I rode the Great Movie Ride three times over the course of my trip, and every single time I walked right onto the ride.

It's all about timing!

I will be there the 2nd week of Feb. Hopefully it is running at that time. If they are running that scene is it usually like 3 cars than 1 for the western scene?

Could they have been setting up for the private events? I know when we were there the first week of December (right after Thanksgiving) there were signs up about special blogger events, etc. regarding the new movie (Saving Mr. Banks) and that things were to be held in TGMR.... And I know TiW has had events in there before...

I will be there the 2nd week of Feb. Hopefully it is running at that time. If they are running that scene is it usually like 3 cars than 1 for the western scene?

It should be running. Most likely there will only be 1-2 vehicles though

Could they have been setting up for the private events? I know when we were there the first week of December (right after Thanksgiving) there were signs up about special blogger events, etc. regarding the new movie (Saving Mr. Banks) and that things were to be held in TGMR.... And I know TiW has had events in there before...

Anything held at GMR afterhours won't start getting set up until the ride is cleared

Each full vehicle is comprised of four cars with two guides. The back two cars stop in the gangster scene while the front two continue on into the western scene.

The two halves usually catch up to each other just after the Alien scene and continue on together for the rest of the ride.

Do they even show the Cowboy scene anymore? I coudlnt tell you the last time i saw it.

Yep. Saw it on December 8th. Incidentally, we went Standby for that ride whenever we were in the Studios because the posted wait was *never* more than five minutes.

We were at the Parks Blog meet up and there were photos and red carpet at the GMR but it was very late 10:30pm when the park closed at 8.

I just flew in from 7 days in the parks. I am utterly disappointed with Disney in regards to what they have done with The Great Movie Ride. Every time I observed the ride I witnessed no one entering the Fast Pass line and the posted standby line wait at 20 minutes! If you have been to this ride at low attendance times during the first couple of hours after park opening, then you know this is a "walk on" ride. By the time you weave through the big room just before loading onto the ride cars, it is never long before boarding. Well, Disney has instituted some changes that purposefully cause the standby line to build. I can only assume it is to encourage Fast Pass Plus use for a ride that DID NOT NEED IT.... :furious:

Here are four changes I noted that caused the wait for the ride to be longer:

1. You are forced to weave through roped off lines outside the theater before weaving through the lines you have always had to navigate within the building. There is no reason to add this outside queueing. The inside was never even 1/5 full.

2. The doors from the waiting theater into the vehicle-loading room closed and those waiting were forced to spend much more time than previous to FP+ implementation watching the movie clips being shown....again adding to the time spent waiting.

3. I rode this on three different occasions. Each ride vehicle is actually two cars hooked together. Each of those three times that I rode the vehicle in front of me and the vehicle behind me only had guests seated in one car, so the second car was empty. This left guests waiting in that theater watching the extended movie clips who could have filled those seats!

4. Here is the one that just got me fuming at the blatant way Disney is building the wait for standby riders on purpose and completely unnecessarily. Are you familiar with the last room that the ride vehicles pull into to watch the film clips? In the past, three separate ride vehicles consisting of two cars each would pull into the room before the doors close and the clips started playing. Well, now, a single vehicle pulls in to watch. Why, I ask you? This absolutely slows down the time it takes to experience the attraction. What possible reason could Disney have for taking fewer guests through the ride and at a slower pace?!!!

Has anyone else noticed these changes? The very idea that Disney would make changes to make a wait longer has me infuriated!!! Especially, because it appears to me that it is being done to "sell" the idea of getting a FP+ for this ride.

How's the blood pressure?

Each full vehicle is comprised of four cars with two guides. The back two cars stop in the gangster scene while the front two continue on into the western scene.

The two halves usually catch up to each other just after the Alien scene and continue on together for the rest of the ride.

Ok, we go to Wdw every year, and ride TGMR a couple of times at least, each visit. I don't recall any western scene? I remember the gangster scene and when they end by the big red jewel, but don't know what the heck a 'western scene' is! Can anyone describe this, trying to ring some kinda bell here, lol!

Yep. Saw it on December 8th. Incidentally, we went Standby for that ride whenever we were in the Studios because the posted wait was *never* more than five minutes.

And, we were there on Dec 8th and rode the TGMR and I don't remember any western scene! This is frustrating, lol!

Ok, we go to Wdw every year, and ride TGMR a couple of times at least, each visit. I don't recall any western scene? I remember the gangster scene and when they end by the big red jewel, but don't know what the heck a 'western scene' is! Can anyone describe this, trying to ring some kinda bell here, lol!

And, we were there on Dec 8th and rode the TGMR and I don't remember any western scene! This is frustrating, lol!

Immediately after the gangster scene, and immediately before the Alien scene. The first part of the western scene has Clint Eastwood in the doorway of a saloon on the right and John Wayne on a horse on the left. It kinda has a western theme to it, too. ;)

Ok, now, I do remember the parts with Clint Eastwood and John Wayne, thx for the reminder, lol! Now is there more of a show there? I'm having such a mind blank, lol, but I do remember then mentioning Eastwood and Wayne, I don't remember anything else! Who knew I was missing something?!

Ok, now, I do remember the parts with Clint Eastwood and John Wayne, thx for the reminder, lol! Now is there more of a show there? I'm having such a mind blank, lol, but I do remember then mentioning Eastwood and Wayne, I don't remember anything else! Who knew I was missing something?!

If you typically experience the shootout in the gangster scene (where the gangster "takes over" the ride vehicle), then you just drive quickly through the western scene immediately after.

However, at the same time the gangster shootout is going on, there is a parallel one happening in the western scene (instead with a bandit taking over the ride vehicle). Guests in the first train of two cars see the western shootout (complete with fire effects), while guests in the second train see the gangster shootout.

You are quick, mesaboy2! Thank you! Well, I must have seen the bandit scene at some time during all the times we've been there, your description sounds a bit familiar for sure, but it's definitely been a long time. Thanks! Now I'm hoping next visit we get the western scene! I've gotta ask my daughter, too, maybe she remembers it better than I do.

You are quick, mesaboy2! Thank you! Well, I must have seen the bandit scene at some time during all the times we've been there, your description sounds a bit familiar for sure, but it's definitely been a long time. Thanks! Now I'm hoping next visit we get the western scene! I've gotta ask my daughter, too, maybe she remembers it better than I do.

If it's running, you can certainly ask for it. You'll want to board the front train, on the right as you enter the boarding area.

Oh, ok, cool! I gotta put this in my bits of notes/info I gather over the year, lol, so I remember! Interesting, too, I don't recall going up to the front car at all - as far as I can remember, I get in the first car of the second set of cars, never up close to that colorful marquis. So, got a mission next vacay, thanks for the tips! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter