Disney Hotel vs Radisson Port Canaveral

4u2dream

When you wish upon a star, Dreams come true...
We are staying in DD @BW- LBV for 3 days before our Wonder cruise May 16th, for $65/nght, thanks to DIS. We have not booked anything for the night before. We can stay at the Radisson for $109 standard guest room with parking for the duration of the cruise and compl shuttle to terminals and back to hotel upon arrival.
Do we want to leave Disney area and be closer to Ships? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Concerned travellers, Hoping to plan that perfect vacation...:confused:

If I was staying in Disney area prior to the day before -- I would just remain there until the day of. Less moving around makes for a more enjoyable vacation to me.
:)

I agree with wovenwonder. I definitely would stay at Disney and leave for Port Canaveral the morning of sailing. That's what we did 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for your comments Jody and Jiminyc. We were just concerned about being rushed
in the morning, to be at the Port for 11:30am. More Disney sounds good to us!:D

People don't usually stay at the Radisson the night before unless they're flying in the day before or arriving from a long-distance drive the day before. But WDW is only 65 miles from the port... and the last 45 of those miles are on a high-speed expressway with little traffic.

I agree. If you are already settled in somewhere, I would just stay. It is not that far to the port -- just a little more than an hour from WDW. You can have a leisurely breakfast, head for the port and make it in plenty of time. Have a great trip!:)

We are doing the same thing, but staying at the Radisson. We are staying 4 days before cruise at the BWV and then the day before cruise staying at the Radisson. We have never been to the Port and driving there the day before allows for problems. We did not want to rush out the morning of the cruise in a rental car to a destination we have never been. Peace of mind, for us, means going the night before and spend the night close by. We were worried about missing the cruise with a broken down car, getting lost, etc. Plus, going the night before we can go to Ron Jon's and relax by the pool.

We spent 5 days in Disney prior to our cruise and then we stayed at the Cocoa Beach Hilton the night before the cruise (we had a terrible experience there I would NOT recomend it ) We made the decision to stay in Cocoa Beach the night before so we would not be rushed in the morning.We checked out of our hotel (Yand B) at 11 and they held our luggage for us. We went to EPCOT and went back to the hotel when the park closed, picked up our luggage and headed off to Cocoa Beach. The kids slept the whole way there . I think it was the right choice for us. We got up, had a nice breakfast and then headed to the port. We were there early and the kids enjoyed walking around the port looking at all the wonderful Disney things (the map of the floor, the replica of the boat etc. ) The lines were short, our luggage was taken very quickly and the characters were there and there were not a lot of people. We also were lucky enough to be there (Cocoa Beach ) for the shuttle launch. The shuttle was launched very very early in the morning (4:00 if I remember correctly) I have heard if the shuttle launch is in the morning there may be some traffic trouble. For our next cruise we will again stay in Cocoa Beach (not at the Hilton) we enjoyed not rushing.

I agree that packing and moving too many times can be a real drag on a vacation.

HOWEVER, peace of mind is one of the main reasons we're staying at the Radisson the night before our cruise. I don't want to have to worry about being caught in traffic or have the car breakdown on the way to the cruise. :( It's nice to wake up in the morning and look out your bedroom window to see the Magic!

The cost of parking is another consideration. With the Radisson, our reservations include free parking (during our 7 day cruise) and a free shuttle to and from the port.

Just something else to consider.

Thanks for all the Opinions!
It's great to know you can rely on others for a helping hand, to make vacationing so much easier!
It's appreciated..

Stay at the radison!!! We were surprised at how very nice it was. Granted ti is not a "Disney Resort" But our room was very nice and our dd hd a great time in the pool. We were 5th in line to board the ship and easily booked palos and spa treatments. The free parking was a nice extra Too. When we sail again we will definitely go back to the radison the night before!!

Stay at Disney World! There is so much more to do there than Cocoa Beach.

Does anyone know if the Radisson has a room large enough to accommodate 6 people or do I need to book 2 rooms?

Thanks!

Stupid question - Radisson has A/C right? They mention ceiling fans but no A/C. I'm sure there is but just checking!!

Maybe another stupid question - but - how safe is your car at the Radisson?? My DH was worried that it might not be as safe as parking at the port - but - one place may not be any different than the other.

Any opinions??

Thanks,
nursegardener

Originally posted by nursegardener

how safe is your car at the Radisson?? My DH was worried that it might not be as safe as parking at the port - but - one place may not be any different than the other.

The Radisson's parking lot has controlled access, but the lot is not secured. The port's parking lot is completely fenced in and all the gates are closed when the ships are not arriving/departing.

Thanks, Dave!! That pretty much helps us make our decision. We had almost decided to stay somewhere oceanfront anyway. Like your web site states, the Radisson is a little overpriced for not being oceanfront!!!

Thanks again!!

we're staying in the GF so we'll do the character breakfast that morning.....then hop in the car and head over....
fortunately it rarely rains in the morning.....otherwise i'd be worried....last year we were supposed to drive to kennedy for the august launch but couldn't drive two inches in the wall of water....
fortunately, the shuttle couldn't either and it went the next day instead....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter