Disney Dining Plan - Table Service Question

amtag

Mouseketeer
Are there only certain items you can choose if you are on the Dining Plan at table service restaurants, or can you order anything on the menu?

You can pretty much order anything on the menu. I say pretty much because for example at Cali grill not all the sushi can be an appetizer. But you can only order in your category, so if you have the regular plan you can only order an entree & dessert and if you have the deluxe, you can order an app, entree & dessert - and a drink with both (soda/tea or coffee and sometimes shakes or specialty smoothies). But you can't swap an app for an entree.

The servers will ask you if you are on the DP or not and if yes they go onto explain a bit about the menu and what is included in the plan as well.

Thanks! I didn't realize an appetizer wasn't included, not that it is that big of a deal, I'm sure it's plenty of food, we just usually like a salad or something to start. Someone told me that the kids can order an app/entree and dessert, is that correct (for the regular dining plan)

Agree, pretty much anything on the menu. There are a few places where there are some restrictions though. I was on the regular dining plan and there was a fixed price meal at Marrakesh which included the appetizer. They charged me an extra $5.99 on top of my meal credit to cover it.

I have found, however, the wait staff is pretty good in letting you know of any exceptions prior to placing your order. Just be upfront with the fact that you are on the dining plan and don't want to order anything that might cost extra unless you know about it.

They are firm, though, on no substitutions of an appetizer for the dessert (darn!).

Thanks! I didn't realize an appetizer wasn't included, not that it is that big of a deal, I'm sure it's plenty of food, we just usually like a salad or something to start. Someone told me that the kids can order an app/entree and dessert, is that correct (for the regular dining plan)

They do get an appetizer but its not one from the regular menu, its from the kids menu and usually consists of a tiny side salad or soup or something like that, its not a true appetizer. And the entree & dessert for kids is on the childrens menu too.

To answer your question about the kids, yes they do get an appy with the DDP....but it isn't like what you think. It is usually carrots or fruit, something along those lines.
Personally I wouldn't view it as an appy, just a small side dish.

We have used the DDP twice and love it.
We didn't encounter any restrictions, however we didn't eat at any signature places either.

To answer your question about the kids, yes they do get an appy with the DDP....but it isn't like what you think. It is usually carrots or fruit, something along those lines.
Personally I wouldn't view it as an appy, just a small side dish.

We have used the DDP twice and love it.
We didn't encounter any restrictions, however we didn't eat at any signature places either.

Thanks! I haven't been to Disney in 12 years and am taking my 5 year old for her first visit and am trying to plan ahead, I am becoming somewhat addicted to these boards because everyone is so great in giving info! I really should get back to work, I don't leave for 99 days and if I keep this up, I won't have a job to pay for this trip...LOL!! Thanks again!

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is: within the entrees and desserts there are no restrictions.

The problem is many people on the DDP, whether they pay for it directly or paying a higher rate for their room and getting "free" dining, look to the highest price items on the menu. This is based either on the attitude of "I paid for it and can get whatever I want" or "as long as it's free, let's get the best items".

For example, at Le Cellier there is a $22.50 difference in price between the lowest price adult lunch entree and the highest price dinner entree. Each restaturant receives a fixed dollar amount credit for each meal sold under DDP. Each restaurant has to make a profit.

As food costs go up it takes more money to operate a restaurant.

So as things progress more and more of the higher end cost items will vanish.

The signature restaurants do not have so much of a problem as they get paid double the regular restaurants.

If they ever do away with the Basic DDP within about six months you will find a lot more high end selections at all the restaurants.

I understand what you are saying, i was asking because I looked at some menus on allears.net and I saw some very expensive items, and I assumed that they might not let those be ordered through the dining plan, or you would pay the difference in price. I can see some people would just order the most expensive item just to do it, but I'd rather order what I would enjoy the most :-) Can't wait to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter