Disney dining dilemma, help!!

wifey

DIS Veteran
We are hoping you guys and girls can help us out, we will be in WDW on the regular dining plan in August with our DS who is 13. Now DS is a very picky eater ( we do try to broaden his horizons food wise) and we were wondering if he would be able to sub things like mashed potatoes as he doesn't eat anything mashed, smashed, squishy or mushy for something like fingerling potatoes, fries or roast potatoes or rice ? Or can he sub for things off the kids menu if allowed (depending on location). We only ask as last time we stayed DS was a "kid" on the dining plan and he could eat whatever they had available in the kids menus.

we've had this come up more than once because DH is allergic to all cultured milk products :eek:and so many of the restaurants put cheese, sour cream, yogurt, etc. in the mashed potatoes! He's always been able to substitute roasted potatoes or fries.

My DD doesn't care for raw carrots or celery, we were able to sub those out for extra fruit. Never hurts to ask!

We don't have a problem subbing at most places. If it is listed as a menu item most of the time you can sub.

If ordering from the special menus where you get appetizer, entree and dessert for the one dining credit (like at LeCellier or Chefs de France or Kona Cafe) then there are no substitutions at all, but otherwise you can generally substitute one side for another as long as they're the same prices when ordered as sides.

Thank you everyone for your info I will make sure to have it noted on any ADRs that DS has texture issues , may as well add on my low fat low carbs eating plan too while I make them. I'm trying to lose some weight before we get there but it doesn't hurt to avoid temptation whilst we are there too. We have looked into the menus and we can eat in lots of restaurants and knowing we can sub for other items will help DS expand his pallet which is good, we tried him with Moroccan food last week he didn't like the hummus but was ok with couscous go figure!! None of us enjoyed falafel at all so not gonna try that again. We like our meat enough said. We have another month easily to make our ADRs so lots of time yet, BOG and FF look good to us at the moment.

As with everything in life, we find that kindness and care goes a long way when making special requests! Although he's an adventurous eater now, we also sometimes asked for substitutions or special accommodations at WDW restaurants for our son, and found that wait staff and kitchen staff always did as much as they reasonably could.

We'd say it something like, "we're really sorry to bother you, and of course we don't know if this is even possible, but would it be at all possible for our son to have (plain noodles on the side instead of potatoes/fries instead of mashed, etc.?)?" We learned that at many TS restaurants, there are huge shared kitchens in the back -- so even though something might not be on the menu where you are eating, it is entirely possible that it shares a kitchen with a nearby restaurant that might have the item.

I think there was only one time when we requested something that just wasn't possible (maybe tried to get something with a sauce but found that it was all set up in back with the sauce already).

Good luck, and have a great trip!

Thanks everyone for your help and yes we will be polite and understanding to the cast members, we always are when we visit WDW. A little friendliness and good manners can make a heck of a difference to someone else's day and good manners cost nothing. We are still looking at our options at the moment and the Pirates and Pals Cruise is looking very good after reading reports and watching videos of this we think DS will get a kick out of this one and it will be a different way to view Wishes so it's something new to do. We like the snacks idea and its a good way to meet Hook and Smee , Peter Pan and Tinkerbell too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!