Disney Cruise Line v. Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas comparison

...If you buy the internet package you can just text each other as if you were in land....

I think you have to be a little careful with this. If you buy the internet package, you can text using internet based texting (things like Facebook messenger, Xfinity connect, Skype, iMessage (if you're messaging iPhones), Kik, etc.), but many of the carrier based texting apps (like 'Messages' on Android or iPhone to a non-iPhone) use carrier data that is not included in the internet package.

This question may seem extremely dumb but I've no clue. Can you receive texts with each other on the ship? I don't expect to see much of my son but want to stay in contact.

If you don’t want to/ need to buy an internet package, you could all download ‘google Allo’ beforehand, it works with being connected to the WiFi but without having to log in/buy a package.
Same works with iMessage but that’s only helpful if everyone has a iPhone.
Both work for people on and off the ship so helpful if you just want to send a message or two home too...

I think you have to be a little careful with this. If you buy the internet package, you can text using internet based texting (things like Facebook messenger, Xfinity connect, Skype, iMessage (if you're messaging iPhones), Kik, etc.), but many of the carrier based texting apps (like 'Messages' on Android or iPhone to a non-iPhone) use carrier data that is not included in the internet package.
Not sure
We used it no problem and didn’t get charged for anything extra from our carrier.
I should add it was iPhone to iPhone.
But I texted family on land too... mostly to other iPhones I think...
Also this only works on the ship and not while in port..

Last edited:
We will be sailing on Independence. Not for a long time. I was going to book on DCL and know that the earlier the better when booking but after looking into RCI and due to taking two 17 year olds we decided it would be best to go with RCI. I went ahead and booked even though we have a year to go. Husband chose the itinerary, not my first choice but I have to let him make the decisions once in awhile.

Plus going with RCI were sailing an extra day and have two rooms instead of one and paying $1,800.00 less. It's a crazy price difference. One day I will sail on Disney though.

Independence looks like a great Royal ship. Not too big and not too small with many features great for teens. DH and I are actually giong in Dec on Independence (short 4 day). We also just got off Mariner with our kids. It also has the new SkyPad, waterslides, laser tag...so much fun!

Also booking early is a long wait, but it's good. Up until your final payment, you can watch for price drops and just call in if its less than your booking (include OBC and promotions when considering). We booked our Symphony cruise 2 years in advance so 1 year isn't so crazy...lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter