Disney Cruise Lanyards

Jessica0706

Earning My Ears
Hi All!

First time cruiser question.. I know that as a first time cruiser we will not get lanyard upon boarding, so I wanted to purchase them before our trip. Obviously my husband and I will need them, but was wondering, is it necessary for my boys (ages 8 & 10) to have their own lanyards as well?

Seems to me that most people use their lanyards primarily for holding their room key. Assuming your kids are always with you, it doesn't seem like they would need a lanyard. Also, wearing a lanyard is a "personal choice". I know some people have to wear them at work and won't wear one on vacation. My last cruise I kept my room key in my phone wallet. As I said personal preference.

But, have an amazing cruise!

My kids picked out really cute ones beforehand and loved putting pins on them. Easier than making sure their shorts have pockets imo.

I have never used a lanyard on a cruise, and don’t plan on using one. I put my card in my pocket, or in my pool bag if going to the pool. I suppose some people may find the lanyard useful when purchasing alcoholic beverages (because it can hold their ID too), but I don’t drink so that doesn’t matter to me.

As a previous poster said, if your child(den) is always with you, he probably won’t need a lanyard. When our son is old enough to check himself in/out of the kids clubs, we’ll have him start wearing a lanyard. Otherwise, we usually just keep his card in the room.

Party City sells all sorts of lanyards, including Disney ones. They are usually about $1-$2 each.

I have never used a lanyard on a cruise, and don’t plan on using one. I put my card in my pocket, or in my pool bag if going to the pool. I suppose some people may find the lanyard useful when purchasing alcoholic beverages (because it can hold their ID too), but I don’t drink so that doesn’t matter to me.

It's possible things have changed or my experience wasn't typical, but I was never carded on my Disney cruise. They take a photo of you before you board, so when you make a room charge it pulls your image up in the system and basically works as a built-in photo ID. I left my wallet, ID and all, in the safe apart from when I was in port.

Re: lanyards, I'd go ahead and bring one for everyone in the party unless your kids are going to be either with you or checked into the kids' clubs for literally the entire trip. I only used my lanyard when I didn't have pockets, so pretty much Castaway Cay and some of my time on the pool deck. All you need to carry is your room key, but it's nice to have the lanyard as an option depending on what you're wearing.

Our son, 8yo, now has check-out privileges at the kids club. The lanyard helps to make sure he has his key card with him for coming back to the room. He always wears it around the ship, since we do not want to have to deal with making sure he has it depending if he’s with us or not.

I would get everyone a lanyard that has a clear plastic pocket to hold their KKTW card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter