Disney Cruise for Non-Disney lover?

Dailymeel

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I have gone on a cruise once with my cousins way back in 2013. I haven't gone on one since because my husband prefers doing non-Disney things but I LOVE Disney and am missing it tremendously. I want to plan a cruise for my family next year (my daughter will almost be 2 by then) and I just really want it to be a Disney Cruise. I think my husband will be open to it because it will be fun for our daughter but I'm wondering if a different cruise line will be more enjoyable for him. Has anyone here gone with a non-Disney lover, did they enjoy the cruise? Have they gone on other cruises and much preferred those?

And if anyone has experience with babies/toddlers and would like to link me to the best thread for that info I would very much appreciate it. Thank you ever so much!

My husband is not a Disney person, but he likes the Disney cruises. The kids and I LOVE Disney. The way it works for us is we have to be willing to split up sometimes. For example, I might take the kids to Disney trivia, princess tea, character meet and greet or a broadway Disney show, while he goes to the spa, the adult pool deck, the golf simulator or the bar area. The rest of the time, we spend together on non-Disney stuff: pools/aquaduck; bingo; mini golf; a marvel movie; family game shows; nice dinners in the MDRs, excursions or castaway cay day. We also like to do the rainforest room and Palo/Remy together as a couple while the kids are in the clubs (nursery for babies is closed at the moment, but hopefully will be open next year when you sail). We find it very easy for him to opt out of the Disney stuff and still spend lots of time together, especially because we are all just a two minute walk or elevator ride away from each other on the ship.

One thing I should note: we have only sailed on the Dream and Fantasy so far, where the only "required" Disney entertainment is the Finding Nemo "Crush" turtle show at dinner on the Dream, plus the Animator's Mickey show on the Fantasy, which DH doesn't love but it is not super intrusive as it is just on screens so not as "in your face" as most character meals where the characters come up to the table. On the Magic and Wonder, there is one dining room that has characters/disney shows with live characters built in (Rapunzel on the Magic and Tiana on the Wonder). The new ship, the Wish, will have a Frozen dinner, a Marvel dinner, and one "normal" dinner.

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience. I’m relieved to hear you’re all still able to enjoy the cruises. I think my husband will enjoy any activities including princess tea if it’s with our daughter (not by himself lol), but I was worried about the live shows/musicals and character meets as I don’t think he would be keen on those and I remember that’s all I wanted to do when I was on the cruise!
I don’t think he will mind the dinner entertainment as long as he gets his food. He loves food! :earboy2:

Thank you for your tip. I think we will be happy splitting our time sometimes and he can eat /enjoy the spa and go to the gym😜 at least that’s the plan.

do they only do Disney and marvel movies at the theatre? Husband is not a fan of Marvel either. Though he did watch Deadpool and he said it was “ok” :charac4:

I think a non-Disney person can enjoy Disney cruises for a lot of reasons: beautiful, well-maintained ships, ample adult-only areas including an adult-only private beach, spacious staterooms with two bathrooms, etc. If a person is anti-Disney, I wouldn't recommend it, but I don't think you have to be a Disney fan to enjoy a Disney cruise.

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience. I’m relieved to hear you’re all still able to enjoy the cruises. I think my husband will enjoy any activities including princess tea if it’s with our daughter (not by himself lol), but I was worried about the live shows/musicals and character meets as I don’t think he would be keen on those and I remember that’s all I wanted to do when I was on the cruise!
I don’t think he will mind the dinner entertainment as long as he gets his food. He loves food! :earboy2:

Thank you for your tip. I think we will be happy splitting our time sometimes and he can eat /enjoy the spa and go to the gym😜 at least that’s the plan.

do they only do Disney and marvel movies at the theatre? Husband is not a fan of Marvel either. Though he did watch Deadpool and he said it was “ok” :charac4:
Theater is just Disney/marvel/star wars stuff.

Thank you! It’s been a long time since I cruised, I forgot how much there is to enjoy!

I think a non-Disney person can enjoy Disney cruises for a lot of reasons: beautiful, well-maintained ships, ample adult-only areas including an adult-only private beach, spacious staterooms with two bathrooms, etc. If a person is anti-Disney, I wouldn't recommend it, but I don't think you have to be a Disney fan to enjoy a Disney cruise.

My DH doesn't particularly love Disney and has sailed on a few DCL cruises. He prefers Celebrity (which I wouldn't recommend with a toddler) as it feels more "adult". He liked the DCL cruises, but I don't think he particularly enjoyed being completely immersed in Disney 24 hours a day. If he really doesn't want to do DCL, you may want to consider Royal Caribbean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!