Disney Cruise Booking Question

dreamfan2011

Earning My Ears
Hi, first time to the boards here. I am curious - I went on the dream in 2011 and didnt take advantage of the on board booking deal that I could have gotten. I knew we would sail again but didnt know exactly when. Well we have narrowed it to 2014 - I am curious why you book on board and not thru a travel agent where the pricing is cheaper than booking thru Disney direct. What am I missing? Someone please explain. I am waiting for 2014 dates to be released but not sure do I call DCL direct or my friendly travel agent lady? Someone please tell me what I am missing......

Thanks for reading and helping.

:welcome: to the boards!!!

I'm going to move this over to the Cruise Line forum. There are many people there who have experience with rebooking.

Hi, first time to the boards here. I am curious - I went on the dream in 2011 and didnt take advantage of the on board booking deal that I could have gotten. I knew we would sail again but didnt know exactly when. Well we have narrowed it to 2014 - I am curious why you book on board and not thru a travel agent where the pricing is cheaper than booking thru Disney direct. What am I missing? Someone please explain. I am waiting for 2014 dates to be released but not sure do I call DCL direct or my friendly travel agent lady? Someone please tell me what I am missing......

Thanks for reading and helping.

I have never heard of a TA's quotes being lower than Disney. They are the same, but the TA may offer On Board Credit (OBC) for booking through them.

If you book while on board, you get the 10% discount, 1/2 of the deposit and OBC from Disney. If you name your TA at the time of booking, you will also get whatever OBC your TA offers. And then, your reservation is booked with your TA, so they would make any changes for you.

If you have a TA that you want to use, I would contact them with your request and they will let you know if they can keep an eye out for the 2014 dates or if you need to contact them once they are released by Disney.

We were on the Magic in 2005 and booked on board to get the discount. We booked a 2006 date knowing full well that we wanted to go in 2007. When the 2007 dates were released, we called and changed our reservation but still got the same pricing.

My 2011 cruise was cheaper than what was thru the disney cruise line. I paid 1679.00 (total with all taxes) for party of 5 for a 3 day bahamas cruise. DCL offered the same exact cruise for $2030.00 - No OBC nothing at the time and I had booked 19 months in advance....I price cruises today and online TA are cheaper than DCL...maybe I am still missing something but I dont think so.

Not sure what TAs you are pricing through, but DCL stopped allowing any TA to discount their cruises a while ago. You have to look at apples to apples. Make sure that transfers are the same, along with insurance. The only difference is if the TA offers their own OBC. That doesn't lower the price of the cruise though. It is put on your account onboard to be used for tips, excursions or souveniers.

If you book onboard you get a 10% discount off of the cruise fare. You also get an OBC, that use to depend on your CC level [was up to $350 on a 7-night cruise for platinum members]. It is now $200 for all levels. You can name a TA onboard or transfer after you get home for additional OBC from the TA.

My 2011 cruise was cheaper than what was thru the disney cruise line. I paid 1679.00 (total with all taxes) for party of 5 for a 3 day bahamas cruise. DCL offered the same exact cruise for $2030.00 - No OBC nothing at the time and I had booked 19 months in advance....I price cruises today and online TA are cheaper than DCL...maybe I am still missing something but I dont think so.

As lbgraves noted, be sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Is the DCL site showing you pricing with transfers and insurance? Is the TA NOT including these items?

If your TA offers OBC, then that is the route to go. If she does not, I would find a TA that DOES offer the OBC.

The TA I help on occasion, gives her clients an on board credit and sends a gift to their stateroom.

This was all very informative - I wish I would have known I could have booked on board and moved the date - that wasn't shared with me - well now I know so when I do go on my caribbean cruise in 2014 I will be sure to do the dummy date for my next cruise and book on board to take advantage of great deals- my cruise was over a year ago and booked 2 yrs ago so things have changed it seems.

Thanks again for all the replies - info is much appreciated!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter