Disney & Clive Barker Strike Deal

Sarangel

<font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<
Disney has bought the rights to a new series of Kid-friendly stories that Clive Barker is writing about a mythical land called Abarat. Here's a Link and a Link to an old interview about the project and Barker's views about working with Disney.

Sarangel

I'll watch this with interest. I think Barker is an absolutely increadable author, but I'm not surethat anything I've read of his would be suitable as a project for Disney. He is, IMHO, on a different level in terms of his imagination and ability to conjure up alternate worlds and reality, although they are all pretty dark places to visit :o

I'll admit right upfront that I haven't read the article yet, but the use of 'Disney' + 'Clive Barker' + 'Kid-Friendly' in the same sentance just made me cough up a mouthful of coffee!! :-)

This is the guy of whom Stephen King said:

I have seen the future of horror and its name is Clive Barker.

OK, I'll go and read the article now and try to maintain some semblance of an open mind...

One article I read about this project suggested that Barker's Abarat series is almost like an antidote for his horror work. The same article (unfortunately in hard copy and since recycled) said that the first book was already on the best seller list. I'm giving serious thought to tracking it down once I've caught up on my reading list. :smooth:

Sarangel

PS. Bstanley, sorry about the coffee - I was going for a reaction, but not that one. :)

Personally I've never found Clive Barker that scary. And I do recall some of his less scary stuff that showed potential as far as fantasy worlds go...

I'll have to check out the Abarat series....is this in children's books, or sort of crossover like Harry Potter? I bet my ds would like it!

So, the agreement was struck two years ago, and the first book in the series came out last fall a year ago. I'm curious about what is currently being done - does anyone know if they are working on this?

DR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter