Disney Blasphemy! The good, the great, and the not so great on our recent Fantasy Cruise.

goofy4prez

A guy can love Disney and still keep his man card!
I know this is going to be a long post and report and that I'm about to commit the sacred unforgivable sin here on the DIS and among Disney fans (which I am) Here it is. Our recent 7-night cruise on the Disney Fantasy was not an escape into a place of utopia where all was perfect from the crew, to the meals, to the customer service. To be honest, I will return time and time again to WDW, but while I'm sure I'll give DCL another try, it won't be anytime soon. My intent here is not to blast DCL, question those who love it or start a debate about DCL. It's just my own opinion based off of my experience.

Let me start with what I loved with our first time sailing with DCL.

1. The Disney Fantasy was an impressive ship. From the moment we walked onto the ship until we turned around and saw her disappear from our view heading back to MCO, it was impressive. The ship was easy to navigate around without too many problems. The elevators, while I've heard some complain are slow, was not a problem we encountered very often. The attention to detail was what you would expect with Disney... Impressive! The impeccable cleanliness of the ship was top notch. I don't even recall seeing a smudge on the mirrors in the restrooms.

2. Our stateroom was everything we could have hoped it would be. We stayed in a deluxe family veranda stateroom (8610) and had plenty of room for my DW (always 39), my DD (21) and myself (55). Absolutely loved the layout of the bathroom with a separate area and sink from the shower. There was plenty of storage and we never felt cramped at all.

3. Our cabin steward was simply outstanding. His level of commitment to service and hospitality is everything that Disney once stood for (yes, I'll say it, it's starting to slip). His help in assisting me to get my suit and shirt pressed for the al night was outstanding. In fact, didn't have to ask, he asked me. He always greeted us with a smile and an offer to assist in any way. He was truly a highlight to our cruise and even though we prepaid our gratuities he was rewarded for his efforts and I also let guest services know and wrote a letter to DCL about him. He was awesome.

4. Palo and Remy were outstanding. The food was spot on fantastic and the service was second to none. We did Remy on the second night (formal night) and all three of us ended up ordering from the American menu of Scott Hunnel along with the wine pairing. I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant. Our server was spot on the entire time, the sommelier did not miss the mark at all, and the food looked fantastic and tasted even better. We ended up doing a second night at Remy (That story is coming up as to why) on our last night on board and we ended up doing the French menu of Arnaud Lallement without doing the wine pairing this time, instead opting for just a glass of wine with dinner. The French menu was also excellent, but the offerings of Chef Scott Hunnel received our nod over Chef Arnaud Lallement. This was an expensive place no doubt, but it was worth every penny we paid for both nights. It helps that we received $800 OBC from our TA to help pay for this.

Now on to Palo. This restaurant is impeccable and incredibly fantastic. How's that for describing the place? We did the brunch on our second day, which was also our first sea day, and was also the same day we did Remy that evening. Was it a lot of food? It sure was. But it was spread out over the day with brunch being at 11:00 and Remy at 8:00 if I remember correctly. Let me just say this; If you are on the fence about trying Palo for brunch, jump off that fence and just do it. Palo was fantastic. We were greeted promptly at the same desk as we were later greeted for Remy that evening. We were given a tour of the restaurant, where everything was located, we were seated and had a fantastic server who also was spot on. We enjoyed a nice glass of Mimoso, hit the buffet, enjoyed our entree we ordered and then indulged ourselves into a dessert coma with all the enticing sweets one could ever imagine at the dessert station. Our server jokingly asked if we would need someone to get a wheelchair for us and take us back to our cabin. We passed on it, but it was tempting. We also had a reservation a couple of nights later for Palo for dinner. We requested our same server for dinner as well and she was once again just as fantastic. Our meals were out of this world, the service was even better than the food if that was even possible, and let's not forget the dessert. I was indecisive between two and eventually decided on one. Our server ended up bringing both of the desserts out. But she didn't stop there. She informed me that nobody leaves Palo without trying their signature dessert, the Chocolate Souffle', she brought this out just prior to bringing out the check. I was stuffed, I just stood up, let the evenings' dinner drop down a little bit, and then found the room to eat it. It was truly to die for.

5. Cabana's was surprisingly decent. I am not a buffet fan, if you search through some of my posts you will see that other than Boma or Tusker House, my opinion of buffets are pretty low. I'm just not into mass-produced food sitting on serving stations waiting to be hoarded upon. But Cabana's was to my surprise average, and in some areas very good. We did breakfast every day here because it was quick and convenient. I was impressed they even had some things such as turkey bacon and sausage along with poached eggs. We also did Cabana's once for lunch and found it to be average, which for me is pretty good for a buffet. I've heard complaints about how hard it is to find a table or that it's jam-packed at the stations, but we didn't find that to be true for us.

6. The live shows, for the most part, were top notch. Disney's Aladdin was a top-notch production with excellent acting that was highly entertaining. I was impressed with how much I actually enjoyed it. A Fantasy Come True was the only weak link in my opinion. It was more like an info commercial set to a stage production. This was the first thing we saw and left me hoping the future productions would be better... And yes, they were. Disney Wishes was a bit on the cheesy side, but I will admit, I was very entertained by it, so that makes it a success. Disney's believe was a lot of fun as well. We also had the opportunity to watch the movie Aladdin in the main theatre. I'll admit, I was not expecting much of it nor did I go into it thinking Wil Smith could nail it as the Genie, but he did, and we loved the movie.

Ok, here is where we didn't care for DCL or our experience on the Fantasy.

1. I know this is not the fault of Disney, and I know because it's Disney there will be kids everywhere. But there were kids running up and down the stairs, sliding down the rails, playing with the elevators, running into people, grabbing food at the buffet station with their hands, and etc. I guess what I am trying to say is this, Parents still need to parent. I know that might be a touchy subject, and I'm not trying to sound like an old grumpy fuddy dud, I get it, kids are going to run around. I was a kid and I raised a kid. And in the future, I'm sure my kid will have a kid, and that will make me a grandpa. But for myself, I would never let my 8-10 year old child run around on a ship in the middle of the ocean, with over 4,000 strangers by themselves or with a pack of other kids. I never thought of myself as overprotective, but just too much could happen. But to DCL credit, the adults' area on the ship was impressive and they did a fantastic job of holding to 18 and older. They even refused to give in to a woman screaming, hollering and cussing out a crew member for holding his ground and letting her know that the two kids with her could not enter that area of the ship.

2. The photo opportunities, in my opinion, were just too short. between shows or just before each dinner session they would have character photo opportunities. But with dozens of people in the lines,it was not possible to get a photoshoot with all the characters. 45 minutes was just not enough time. Again, this is just my opinion and I'm sure there will be those who had no problem or may even disagree with me. That's ok. It's just my own opinion.

And the last two are biggies for me and the reason why they really had a lasting effect on how soon I will do another Disney Cruise. I'll admit, this was my first cruise in years and my first with DCL, and perhaps my expectations were just too high. That wouldn't be the first time. I had high expectations for Le Cellier (LOL) and the DVC (just wasn't for me). Nevertheless, they were real problems and it just lingers with me. I should say that on this cruise on our second night I booked a 7 night Mediterranean cruise and canceled it on our 6th night. They did ask me at the desk why and I did politely tell her. Too DCL credit I did receive a phone call from them several days later and a very nice woman in customer relations talked with me for over 10 minutes and did tell me that if I decided to sail with Disney again and book a future trip with them in the next year they would give me the same incentives I received when I booked online. I was impressed with the genuine concern.

1st biggie. Our service from our servers was just downright awful in the main dining rooms. I know I know, I read and hear about how great everyone's servers were and how spot on Disney service is in the MDR's, but I"m sorry, that was not the case for us. Our first night it was a difficult thing to experience. As I share this I will do my best not to sound like a spoiled and entitled person. I know these problems are first world and there are people with worse problems in this world than I experienced here. But with that said, I did pay a whole lot of money on DCL and there were certainly other options I could have spent my disposable vacation income on. We ordered soft drinks when we were seated, so far all is fine. Our orders were taken. All is fine. Our appetizers were delivered all is fine. We all asked for a refill on our soft drinks. Our dinners were delivered, we asked again for refills, and waited. Once we were done with dinner our server said, let me get you a refill and brought them out with our dessert. We waited almost 45 minutes between refills and had our entire meal. I don't think I was unreasonable. As for the food, I will admit that I am somewhat of a food snob so my opinion may be a bit harsh, but I thought the food was just average and very cafeteria-like. I know, they are feeding a massive amount of people in a short period of time, but I guess I just fell for the so many rave reviews of DCL food and service. The last time I was this disappointed in Disney food was when we dined at Le Cellier for the first and last time several years ago. I should add that the dining room that evening was Animators' Palate. While it was rather loud (as expected), it was a lot of fun and the decor and theming were what you would expect from Disney, second to none.

Our second night was at Remy, on the third night we had dinner in the Royal Court. Things started off ok. The food this evening was decent, it was not great, but decent and we had no complaints. Where things started going downhill was when we ordered adult beverages this time instead of soft drinks. Our server asked for my KTTW card. No big deal. I understand so that the charges could be added to my account. I'm good with that. Later in the meal, I asked my server if she still had my KTTW card, her response was I'll get it for you shortly. Ok, still no problem. Then after the meal I asked my server about the card and still, she said I'll bring it to you. Our desserts were served and after dessert, I asked our server for my KTTW card she once again said I'll get that for you. From there she continued to serve other tables, bring out meals and etc. After ten minutes I finally went to the head server and spoke with him, after about another 5 minutes or so our server brought my card out and just dropped it on the table in front of me and walked over to another table. I will say this, at no point that evening or any other evening did I act short-tempered or annoyed which is what shocked me a bit in the service I experienced to this point.

The 4th night was Animators Palate once again. This evening the planets aligned and all was good in the "World." Yes, the pun was intended. Refills were perhaps a bit slow but no big deal. there were a lot of people and a lot going on. The server and her assistant were very friendly, the head server came over and talked with us for a while and was very cordial. The food once again was what I would call average. The animation coming to life on the walls was a lot of fun. And of course, seeing Crush from Finding Nemo cruising the walls and hamming it up was a lot of fun. Overall the best night in the MDR for us.

5th night was the Enchanted Garden. This evening was the last straw for us. The dinners were not correct with my wife and my daughter when they were brought out and our server took to an attitude and mumbled something in her language as she walked away. The head server saw this from a distance and came over to our table. I remained calm, but I did tell him that I'm at the end of my rope with this. If it's us or she is having a problem away from the ship please just let me know. He assured me that all would be fine. We ordered our dessert and when it was brought out not one of them was correct. In fact, we all ordered separate items and when they were brought out they were all the same. I mentioned this to our server and she tried to tell us this is what you ordered. I just told her it's not but forget about it, this will do just fine. She was good with that and didn't even offer to get us the correct desserts. We got up and left and on the way out I did let the head server know this would be the last time we ate in the MDR. He did apologize.

6th night was in Palo which we had a reservation for in advance. Loved everything about it and had the same server as we had for the Palo Brunch. Perfect evening and a perfect dinner. After dinner, we went to the front desk to see if we could get another reservation for dinner the next and last night of the cruise. They were apologetic to say there was no availability. I understood after all the place is awesome and very popular. I enquired about the availability for Remy tomorrow night and while it was more than I wanted to pay, I was determined I was not going to eat in the main dining room again and booked it. Loved it and as I mentioned above, we tried the French side of the menu this time.

On our final morning before disembarkment, we caught breakfast in the Royal Court and saw our servers. Both our main server and the assistant were very friendly, very prompt and the service was good. The menu was very limited, but I get it, it's the last few hours on the ship. I did pass out the envelope to her, the assistant server and the head server with the card letting them know I prepaid the gratuity for them. I'll admit the thought of going to guest services and removing the prepaid tips for them was a temptation but it just wouldn't be the right thing to do. I will say that the servers in Remy and Palo along with the sommeliers and our stateroom host were rewarded for being fantastic and going well beyond anything anyone could have expected. They were awesome.

2nd not so good. On our second day, I had a question about some credits and charges showing up on my account and went to guest services to enquire about them. The line was a little long with this being the second day and first at sea. No big deal. Once I got up to the desk I was greeted, not rudely, but not what I would call friendly either by a crew member with guest relations. She printed out a sheet for me handed it to me and didn't say anything. I stood there for a few seconds and looked at it and when I looked up to ask her a question she was turned around and walking away from the desk. I stood there for a moment and then realized she was gone. I ended up getting back in that long line, waited for another 15 minutes and then was greeted by a very nice gentleman whom I mentioned what happened. He assisted me with my question and thanked him and went on my way. I thought this was done and forgotten. I didn't make a stink about things. I didn't ask for anything in return. But later that afternoon I had a voice message from the manager of guest relations offering an apology. Later that evening I found a card and a bottle of wine in our room. The next day was another note from guest relations with an 8x10 picture frame for us as a gift. Yes, the person in guest relations fell way short in her position in guest relations, but I will admit, DCL went all out to correct a situation they realized should have never happened to begin with.

3rd not so good. The crew member ( Do they call them Cast Members on DCL?) at the future cruise bookings was not as accommodating and eager to assist as one might expect. She seemed to be a bit annoyed when asking questions about a certain ship, itineraries, cabins and etc. I would think they would want to do all they could to build the enthusiasm to book onboard. She just didn't seem like she wanted to be there. This was my first impression when we spent several minutes with her the first time and still seemed to be the case when we made an appointment to see her again and actually book our next trip to the Mediterranean.

To wrap it up. I know there are some who get upset when you say that not everything was perfect with Disney. They feel that Disney can do no wrong, or that one's expectations are just too high. I'll admit, sometimes a persons expectations are too high. But let's also be honest as Disney fans and admit that Disney is a master at marketing their product as a world of magic and perfection. I know they cannot achieve perfection, but there were some area's where Disney missed the mark on this cruise in my opinion. I expected more for a premium price I paid for this cruise. I am a fan of many of the restaurants in WDW, and am happy as a whole with the food in WDW, but I was very disappointed with the service and the food outside of Remy and Palo. The experience I had with the service in the MDR along with the person in guest relations and the booking desk with Disney was very disappointing. For me food is a very very very big part of my vacation, and even more so on a cruise ship. There were a lot of great things about this trip with DCL. Remy & Palo, a fantastic stateroom host, Disney trying to right a wrong, an incredible ship, excellent accommodations and some entertaining shows. But the dining experiences I had just are a big obstacle for me to overcome.

I know it's Disney and DIS board blasphemy, but not all that Disney does is perfect with rainbows and pixie dust. I did cancel my cruise next year with Disney and have booked an Alaskan cruise with Silversea on the Silver Muse. I know it's a completely different experience with a smaller ship, less people, kids, and etc. But with that said, I'm sure in the next few years I'll do another Disney Cruise and give them another chance. Other than LeCellier (LOL) when it comes to Disney, this Disney fan is willing to try something Disney related a second time and I'm sure I will with DCL.

I know this is going to be a long post and report and that I'm about to commit the sacred unforgivable sin here on the DIS and among Disney fans (which I am) Here it is. Our recent 7-night cruise on the Disney Fantasy was not an escape into a place of utopia where all was perfect from the crew, to the meals, to the customer service. To be honest, I will return time and time again to WDW, but while I'm sure I'll give DCL another try, it won't be anytime soon. My intent here is not to blast DCL, question those who love it or start a debate about DCL. It's just my own opinion based off of my experience.

1. The Disney Fantasy was an impressive ship. From the moment we walked onto the ship until we turned around and saw her disappear from our view heading back to MCO, it was impressive. The ship was easy to navigate around without too many problems. The elevators, while I've heard some complain are slow, was not a problem we encountered very often. The attention to detail was what you would expect with Disney... Impressive! The impeccable cleanliness of the ship was top notch. I don't even recall seeing a smudge on the mirrors in the restrooms.

2. Our stateroom was everything we could have hoped it would be. We stayed in a deluxe family veranda stateroom (8610) and had plenty of room for my DW (always 39), my DD (21) and myself (55). Absolutely loved the layout of the bathroom with a separate area and sink from the shower. There was plenty of storage and we never felt cramped at all.

3. Our cabin steward was simply outstanding. His level of commitment to service and hospitality is everything that Disney once stood for (yes, I'll say it, it's starting to slip). His help in assisting me to get my suit and shirt pressed for the al night was outstanding. In fact, didn't have to ask, he asked me. He always greeted us with a smile and an offer to assist in any way. He was truly a highlight to our cruise and even though we prepaid our gratuities he was rewarded for his efforts and I also let guest services know and wrote a letter to DCL about him. He was awesome.

4. Palo and Remy were outstanding. The food was spot on fantastic and the service was second to none. We did Remy on the second night (formal night) and all three of us ended up ordering from the American menu of Scott Hunnel along with the wine pairing. I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant. Our server was spot on the entire time, the sommelier did not miss the mark at all, and the food looked fantastic and tasted even better. We ended up doing a second night at Remy (That story is coming up as to why) on our last night on board and we ended up doing the French menu of Arnaud Lallement without doing the wine pairing this time, instead opting for just a glass of wine with dinner. The French menu was also excellent, but the offerings of Chef Scott Hunnel received our nod over Chef Arnaud Lallement. This was an expensive place no doubt, but it was worth every penny we paid for both nights. It helps that we received $800 OBC from our TA to help pay for this.

Now on to Palo. This restaurant is impeccable and incredibly fantastic. How's that for describing the place? We did the brunch on our second day, which was also our first sea day, and was also the same day we did Remy that evening. Was it a lot of food? It sure was. But it was spread out over the day with brunch being at 11:00 and Remy at 8:00 if I remember correctly. Let me just say this; If you are on the fence about trying Palo for brunch, jump off that fence and just do it. Palo was fantastic. We were greeted promptly at the same desk as we were later greeted for Remy that evening. We were given a tour of the restaurant, where everything was located, we were seated and had a fantastic server who also was spot on. We enjoyed a nice glass of Mimoso, hit the buffet, enjoyed our entree we ordered and then indulged ourselves into a dessert coma with all the enticing sweets one could ever imagine at the dessert station. Our server jokingly asked if we would need someone to get a wheelchair for us and take us back to our cabin. We passed on it, but it was tempting. We also had a reservation a couple of nights later for Palo for dinner. We requested our same server for dinner as well and she was once again just as fantastic. Our meals were out of this world, the service was even better than the food if that was even possible, and let's not forget the dessert. I was indecisive between two and eventually decided on one. Our server ended up bringing both of the desserts out. But she didn't stop there. She informed me that nobody leaves Palo without trying their signature dessert, the Chocolate Souffle', she brought this out just prior to bringing out the check. I was stuffed, I just stood up, let the evenings' dinner drop down a little bit, and then found the room to eat it. It was truly to die for.

5. Cabana's was surprisingly decent. I am not a buffet fan, if you search through some of my posts you will see that other than Boma or Tusker House, my opinion of buffets are pretty low. I'm just not into mass-produced food sitting on serving stations waiting to be hoarded upon. But Cabana's was to my surprise average, and in some areas very good. We did breakfast every day here because it was quick and convenient. I was impressed they even had some things such as turkey bacon and sausage along with poached eggs. We also did Cabana's once for lunch and found it to be average, which for me is pretty good for a buffet. I've heard complaints about how hard it is to find a table or that it's jam-packed at the stations, but we didn't find that to be true for us.

6. The live shows, for the most part, were top notch. Disney's Aladdin was a top-notch production with excellent acting that was highly entertaining. I was impressed with how much I actually enjoyed it. A Fantasy Come True was the only weak link in my opinion. It was more like an info commercial set to a stage production. This was the first thing we saw and left me hoping the future productions would be better... And yes, they were. Disney Wishes was a bit on the cheesy side, but I will admit, I was very entertained by it, so that makes it a success. Disney's believe was a lot of fun as well. We also had the opportunity to watch the movie Aladdin in the main theatre. I'll admit, I was not expecting much of it nor did I go into it thinking Wil Smith could nail it as the Genie, but he did, and we loved the movie.

1. I know this is not the fault of Disney, and I know because it's Disney there will be kids everywhere. But there were kids running up and down the stairs, sliding down the rails, playing with the elevators, running into people, grabbing food at the buffet station with their hands, and etc. I guess what I am trying to say is this, Parents still need to parent. I know that might be a touchy subject, and I'm not trying to sound like an old grumpy fuddy dud, I get it, kids are going to run around. I was a kid and I raised a kid. And in the future, I'm sure my kid will have a kid, and that will make me a grandpa. But for myself, I would never let my 8-10 year old child run around on a ship in the middle of the ocean, with over 4,000 strangers by themselves or with a pack of other kids. I never thought of myself as overprotective, but just too much could happen. But to DCL credit, the adults' area on the ship was impressive and they did a fantastic job of holding to 18 and older. They even refused to give in to a woman screaming, hollering and cussing out a crew member for holding his ground and letting her know that the two kids with her could not enter that area of the ship.

2. The photo opportunities, in my opinion, were just too short. between shows or just before each dinner session they would have character photo opportunities. But with dozens of people in the lines,it was not possible to get a photoshoot with all the characters. 45 minutes was just not enough time. Again, this is just my opinion and I'm sure there will be those who had no problem or may even disagree with me. That's ok. It's just my own opinion.

And the last two are biggies for me and the reason why they really had a lasting effect on how soon I will do another Disney Cruise. I'll admit, this was my first cruise in years and my first with DCL, and perhaps my expectations were just too high. That wouldn't be the first time. I had high expectations for Le Cellier (LOL) and the DVC (just wasn't for me). Nevertheless, they were real problems and it just lingers with me. I should say that on this cruise on our second night I booked a 7 night Mediterranean cruise and canceled it on our 6th night. They did ask me at the desk why and I did politely tell her. Too DCL credit I did receive a phone call from them several days later and a very nice woman in customer relations talked with me for over 10 minutes and did tell me that if I decided to sail with Disney again and book a future trip with them in the next year they would give me the same incentives I received when I booked online. I was impressed with the genuine concern.

1st biggie. Our service from our servers was just downright awful in the main dining rooms. I know I know, I read and hear about how great everyone's servers were and how spot on Disney service is in the MDR's, but I"m sorry, that was not the case for us. Our first night it was a difficult thing to experience. As I share this I will do my best not to sound like a spoiled and entitled person. I know these problems are first world and there are people with worse problems in this world than I experienced here. But with that said, I did pay a whole lot of money on DCL and there were certainly other options I could have spent my disposable vacation income on. We ordered soft drinks when we were seated, so far all is fine. Our orders were taken. All is fine. Our appetizers were delivered all is fine. We all asked for a refill on our soft drinks. Our dinners were delivered, we asked again for refills, and waited. Once we were done with dinner our server said, let me get you a refill and brought them out with our dessert. We waited almost 45 minutes between refills and had our entire meal. I don't think I was unreasonable. As for the food, I will admit that I am somewhat of a food snob so my opinion may be a bit harsh, but I thought the food was just average and very cafeteria-like. I know, they are feeding a massive amount of people in a short period of time, but I guess I just fell for the so many rave reviews of DCL food and service. The last time I was this disappointed in Disney food was when we dined at Le Cellier for the first and last time several years ago. I should add that the dining room that evening was Animators' Palate. While it was rather loud (as expected), it was a lot of fun and the decor and theming were what you would expect from Disney, second to none.

Our second night was at Remy, on the third night we had dinner in the Royal Court. Things started off ok. The food this evening was decent, it was not great, but decent and we had no complaints. Where things started going downhill was when we ordered adult beverages this time instead of soft drinks. Our server asked for my KTTW card. No big deal. I understand so that the charges could be added to my account. I'm good with that. Later in the meal, I asked my server if she still had my KTTW card, her response was I'll get it for you shortly. Ok, still no problem. Then after the meal I asked my server about the card and still, she said I'll bring it to you. Our desserts were served and after dessert, I asked our server for my KTTW card she once again said I'll get that for you. From there she continued to serve other tables, bring out meals and etc. After ten minutes I finally went to the head server and spoke with him, after about another 5 minutes or so our server brought my card out and just dropped it on the table in front of me and walked over to another table. I will say this, at no point that evening or any other evening did I act short-tempered or annoyed which is what shocked me a bit in the service I experienced to this point.

The 4th night was Animators Palate once again. This evening the planets aligned and all was good in the "World." Yes, the pun was intended. Refills were perhaps a bit slow but no big deal. there were a lot of people and a lot going on. The server and her assistant were very friendly, the head server came over and talked with us for a while and was very cordial. The food once again was what I would call average. The animation coming to life on the walls was a lot of fun. And of course, seeing Crush from Finding Nemo cruising the walls and hamming it up was a lot of fun. Overall the best night in the MDR for us.

5th night was the Enchanted Garden. This evening was the last straw for us. The dinners were not correct with my wife and my daughter when they were brought out and our server took to an attitude and mumbled something in her language as she walked away. The head server saw this from a distance and came over to our table. I remained calm, but I did tell him that I'm at the end of my rope with this. If it's us or she is having a problem away from the ship please just let me know. He assured me that all would be fine. We ordered our dessert and when it was brought out not one of them was correct. In fact, we all ordered separate items and when they were brought out they were all the same. I mentioned this to our server and she tried to tell us this is what you ordered. I just told her it's not but forget about it, this will do just fine. She was good with that and didn't even offer to get us the correct desserts. We got up and left and on the way out I did let the head server know this would be the last time we ate in the MDR. He did apologize.

6th night was in Palo which we had a reservation for in advance. Loved everything about it and had the same server as we had for the Palo Brunch. Perfect evening and a perfect dinner. After dinner, we went to the front desk to see if we could get another reservation for dinner the next and last night of the cruise. They were apologetic to say there was no availability. I understood after all the place is awesome and very popular. I enquired about the availability for Remy tomorrow night and while it was more than I wanted to pay, I was determined I was not going to eat in the main dining room again and booked it. Loved it and as I mentioned above, we tried the French side of the menu this time.

On our final morning before disembarkment, we caught breakfast in the Royal Court and saw our servers. Both our main server and the assistant were very friendly, very prompt and the service was good. The menu was very limited, but I get it, it's the last few hours on the ship. I did pass out the envelope to her, the assistant server and the head server with the card letting them know I prepaid the gratuity for them. I'll admit the thought of going to guest services and removing the prepaid tips for them was a temptation but it just wouldn't be the right thing to do. I will say that the servers in Remy and Palo along with the sommeliers and our stateroom host were rewarded for being fantastic and going well beyond anything anyone could have expected. They were awesome.

2nd not so good. On our second day, I had a question about some credits and charges showing up on my account and went to guest services to enquire about them. The line was a little long with this being the second day and first at sea. No big deal. Once I got up to the desk I was greeted, not rudely, but not what I would call friendly either by a crew member with guest relations. She printed out a sheet for me handed it to me and didn't say anything. I stood there for a few seconds and looked at it and when I looked up to ask her a question she was turned around and walking away from the desk. I stood there for a moment and then realized she was gone. I ended up getting back in that long line, waited for another 15 minutes and then was greeted by a very nice gentleman whom I mentioned what happened. He assisted me with my question and thanked him and went on my way. I thought this was done and forgotten. I didn't make a stink about things. I didn't ask for anything in return. But later that afternoon I had a voice message from the manager of guest relations offering an apology. Later that evening I found a card and a bottle of wine in our room. The next day was another note from guest relations with an 8x10 picture frame for us as a gift. Yes, the person in guest relations fell way short in her position in guest relations, but I will admit, DCL went all out to correct a situation they realized should have never happened to begin with.

3rd not so good. The crew member ( Do they call them Cast Members on DCL?) at the future cruise bookings was not as accommodating and eager to assist as one might expect. She seemed to be a bit annoyed when asking questions about a certain ship, itineraries, cabins and etc. I would think they would want to do all they could to build the enthusiasm to book onboard. She just didn't seem like she wanted to be there. This was my first impression when we spent several minutes with her the first time and still seemed to be the case when we made an appointment to see her again and actually book our next trip to the Mediterranean.

To wrap it up. I know there are some who get upset when you say that not everything was perfect with Disney. They feel that Disney can do no wrong, or that one's expectations are just too high. I'll admit, sometimes a persons expectations are too high. But let's also be honest as Disney fans and admit that Disney is a master at marketing their product as a world of magic and perfection. I know they cannot achieve perfection, but there were some area's where Disney missed the mark on this cruise in my opinion. I expected more for a premium price I paid for this cruise. I am a fan of many of the restaurants in WDW, and am happy as a whole with the food in WDW, but I was very disappointed with the service and the food outside of Remy and Palo. The experience I had with the service in the MDR along with the person in guest relations and the booking desk with Disney was very disappointing. For me food is a very very very big part of my vacation, and even more so on a cruise ship. There were a lot of great things about this trip with DCL. Remy & Palo, a fantastic stateroom host, Disney trying to right a wrong, an incredible ship, excellent accommodations and some entertaining shows. But the dining experiences I had just are a big obstacle for me to overcome.

I know it's Disney and DIS board blasphemy, but not all that Disney does is perfect with rainbows and pixie dust. I did cancel my cruise next year with Disney and have booked an Alaskan cruise with Silversea on the Silver Muse. I know it's a completely different experience with a smaller ship, less people, kids, and etc. But with that said, I'm sure in the next few years I'll do another Disney Cruise and give them another chance. Other than LeCellier (LOL) when it comes to Disney, this Disney fan is willing to try something Disney related a second time and I'm sure I will with DCL.
Very nice review.

May I ask did you talk to the head server about the issues you were having with your server as soon as they happened?

Thanks for the review!

I am not one who thinks that DCL is perfect with rainbows and pixie dust, but I will also say that having read your review I'm surprised that you left with what seems to be a fairly unhappy or at least 'meh' feeling despite having many amazing things to say about it. But, I think your situation was compounded by the fact that food is a significant part of your experience on a trip (or in life) and I will say that I have never found a reason to rave about food in a dining room on ANY cruise. I've always enjoyed my meals on any cruise, sometimes items are a bit of a miss but otherwise the food is fine - but that's the thing, for me, the food in main dining rooms on a cruise is best described as banquet food. You know, the sort of meals you get when you attend a conference at a hotel downtown, or when you go to a big wedding. I've had some really delicious meals and some that are just okay. If I were a bit more of a foodie I could see being slightly more disappointed.

It does sound frustrating, the server issue. Drinks are typically handled by the assistant server, wondering if perhaps your server and assistant server didn't jive well.

I would also be annoyed about kids running through Cabana's grabbing food with their fingers, gross:crazy2:

The situation with your server was unfortunate, and it would upset me too. I have never ordered a drink from our dining team and have them keep my card that long, that's just bizarre. I know they are super busy running like lunatics, but the card should have been returned after the first request. Sounds like this person had some issues and he/she is not the norm for a DCL server, you really got zonked there.
I'm glad Disney tried to make it right with you and gave you a little pixie dust.
I hope you give DCL another try, I think you will have a better experience next time.
We are about to sail on our 19th Disney Cruise and have yet to try another cruise line, but we have never had issues like you described.

So I had them keep my card on more the one occasion. I asked our head server once early on, who had stopped at the table to introduce himself, if I could get my card back. He said he certainly could get it, but they usually keep it until near the end of dinner in case you would like a refill, or a dessert beverage rather than asking you to drag it out a 2nd time. I thought that was a good enough reason and left it alone.

However, I have had some instances since where it was returned either with my drink, or almost immediately after. So maybe it depends on the serving team?

Assuming you give DCL another chance, if you have any issues in the MDR's don't hesitate to mention them to your head server even if they seem somewhat minor. There is a Dining Room manager in each dining room and rotation, who you can also mention issues to if your Head Server isn't responsive, your Head Server may even ask you to share the issue with them.
On my 10 cruises, I've had 2 issues with food service (neither were during Dinner in the MDR's) and both times when mentioned to my Head Server they informed their supervisor and the issues were addressed effectively.

I’m sorry to hear about your trip, we had absolutely terrible servers on one of our cruises on the Wonder. The staff in the stores on that trip were downright rude too. Luckily, that wasn’t my first DCL cruise. Have fun on your Alaska cruise, it’s beautiful.

Very nice review. I for one like to hear both the good and the bad about DCL. I happen to find much more good than bad as my 43 DCL cruises attest to but I certainly think your serving team was not up to par. Your feelings about your other issues do seem warranted. All I can say is that you are right...not every experience on DCL (or WDW) is perfect. Your serving team definitely seemed off. We have had that happen a time or two.

Parents do need to parent even on vacation. One of my pet peeves is having kids run amok anywhere! Please give DCL another chance. Maybe inquire on this board about current popular serving teams when you go next to find a better team to request than what you had.

MJ

I feel kind of sick that you feel the need to be so apologetic about your experience and review. I read it as an overwhelmingly positive review and you got stuck with a couple of crappy servers and it really ruined the MDR experience and unlike at the parks if you have one bad meal you can get past it, you are stuck with these people all week. The dinner dining experience is an integral part of your cruise experience... Disney makes a big deal of it and for the most part servers go above and beyond so you were definitely missing out by having a subpar experience. I kind of wish for your sake that you had talked to your head server sooner but I'm like you and I tend to not complain until I reach a tipping point or I think about it later and get more and more upset about what happened... I probably would not have complained either.

I think the couple of guest services encounters you had would have been easier to shake off if you had not been having a miserable time in the dining room. I will say that even though you feel your review was negative, you got me excited for our SWDAS cruise with your positives, and if our servers are miserable I need to remind myself to speak up sooner rather than later about making a change.

I actually did not love the service we had at dinner on one of my prior cruises either. We kept getting the "excellent" speech wayyyyy more than was okay (like 3-4 times a night), while having to give constant reminders about drink orders. So I hear you. Our other cruise we had phenomenal service, so I sympathize you had a bad time while recognizing that it is not an endemic problem that everyone experiences at DCL.

And I hear you about unsupervised kids. That is a big pet peeve of mine. We let our kids play in the club where they are supervised, but when they are out of the club, we are with them: full stop. People who treat the ship as their babysitter so they can go have drinks at the adult pool are really dropping the ball in my view. It seems like usually the problem is they have absurdly rose-colored glasses about their kids and tweens: it's always the ones that parents think are so mature/responsible at home that cut loose on vacation crashing into people, stealing magnets off the doors, pushing all the buttons in the elevators, and yelling down the hall at 11pm.

I also will say, perhaps you have better luck than I do on vacation, but the "big" issues you describe are relatively mild and fairly common on any vacation (bad service at a couple of meals, needing to correct a wrong charge on a bill). We've had some real stinkers of vacations at 5 star resorts (sewer backup; theft from room safes; private transfers taking us to the wrong destination at a cost of several hours, food poisoning) that make me grateful whenever the worst that happens to me is that something is a little lackluster but otherwise we had amazing experiences. I recognize we all wish our vacations could be perfect, but I'd have a terrible time on vacation if I expected perfection when that is frankly just an impossible standard. Your vacation sounds pretty darn wonderful to me. It's not that I'm in love with Disney, it's that I think that sounds pretty amazing for any vacation, Disney or otherwise.

Sorry you had such a bad experience and that you felt weird about posting it.

Also I have yet to go to Le Cellier and now you are making me want to search our your review and maybe continue to NOT go there.

You had some really bad servers. I have had one bad server but he knew he was bad and he kept saying I’m sorry I’m sorry. He was so nice I lied and said they were great.
I had another server his mouth smelled like he ate a poop sandwich every time we seen him. He was a good server but I would rather have a bad server than a good server whose mouth smelled like poop.

We were on the Fantasy this spring. We had the "excellent" speech a lot too. Way too much actually. And some definite drink slowness. Though at least one night our assistant server was out sick. Agree with the MDR food being on the average side. I've had a few really outstanding things there, but many things are so-so. I found for the most part the vegetarian entrees were wonderful, while most of the fish entrees were overcooked and lacked flavor.

Our stateroom host never changed the room back to the couch, after he pulled the bed out from the ceiling the first night. He never even asked us what we preferred. It ended up being fine, as the kid in the top bunk sometimes just got up there in the middle of the day to play a video game, but I thought it was odd. Our first cruise the bed was put away every morning and taken back out each evening. Though I guess if we did it again, the bed out during the day made sense so they could have their own spaces to relax.

There was a lot of sickness going on for our cruise, and I know that took up a lot of extra time for the staff. So I felt a little sorry for them having to deal with all that. Also I understand they have shifted around the staff to get them used to a different ship, for when the new ones start coming out. Our serving team was from Magic and Wonder, so maybe some of the problems were from being a new team on a different ship.

The character lines were ridiculously and absurdly long. We met a couple.

Anyway. I agree there are some issues that could definitely be improved.

I have the tween-age kids that are starting to get permission to move around the ship on their own. The tween club doesn't have a parent check-out, so if you use that, it's kind of automatic. We also felt okay sending them up to deck 11 to get ice cream on their own (and then come straight back down to the room). Also they left the dining room early a few nights to return to the room. We felt pretty good about being able to give them slightly more autonomy this time.

You had some really bad servers. I have had one bad server but he knew he was bad and he kept saying I’m sorry I’m sorry. He was so nice I lied and said they were great.
I had another server his mouth smelled like he ate a poop sandwich every time we seen him. He was a good server but I would rather have a bad server than a good server whose mouth smelled like poop.

Eeewww! How were you so close to smell your server's mouth?!?!

Thanks for sharing. Your review hits home. Never had a big problem with service but was seriously not impressed. Took way too long for everything and didn’t get the pixie dust or anything really people mention. I don’t like not tipping or complaining but I hope others always have a better experience. However I hear similar horror stories about the fantasy all the time and I’m hoping for the best for our next sailing on the fantasy for October. Again. Thanks for sharing. Always important to share the whole experience.

I will say that even though you feel your review was negative, you got me excited for our SWDAS cruise with your positives, and if our servers are miserable I need to remind myself to speak up sooner rather than later about making a change.

Out of 11 DCL cruises, we encountered an equally bad team as what OP described only once, on Wonder. Unfortunately, we only spoke up at the end of the cruise to the head server, in full view of our service team that was sweating bullets because they knew all along there was something wrong. One table just stopped showing up. We usually would just leave the second dessert was done with, without waiting for the end-of-meal info (being the last section still there and other tables being ready for second seating....). Our other teams ranged from very good to extraordinary.

Often, posters correlate the bad service they get to the ship they are on, but that is not logic. You interact with, maybe, 2-5% of the staff during your cruise. All are individuals with different experience, personal lives and all are at different points in their contract. CM’s also move from ship to ship sometimes. While you get a bad team, the table next to you might have the best team in the fleet, but you’ll never know it.

Knowing what I know now, I would now go immediately to our head server and ask a service team change. One bad meal is enough, and, having been in all dining rooms on all the ships, I know they can’t blame the kitchen, the configuration or anything else but themselves.

Last edited:
Out of 11 DCL cruises, we encountered an equally bad team as what OP described only once, on Wonder. Unfortunately, we only spoke up at the end of the cruise to the head server, in full view of our service team that was sweating bullets because they knew all along there was something wrong. One table just stopped showing up. We usually would just leave the second dessert was done with, without waiting for the end-of-meal info (being the last section still there and other tables being ready for second seating....). Our others teams ranged from very good to extraordinary.

Often, posters correlate the bad service they get to the ship they are on, but that is not logic. You interact with, maybe, 2-5% of the staff during your cruise. All are individuals with different experience, personal lives and all are at different points in their contract. CM’s also move from ship to ship sometimes. While you get a bad team, the table next to you might have the best team in the fleet, but you’ll never know it.

Knowing what I know now, I would now go immediately to our head server and ask a service team change. One bad meal is enough, and, having been in all dining rooms on all the ships, I know they can’t blame the kitchen, the configuration or anything else but themselves.
This will be my 7th DCL cruise but the first 5 were prior to 2005 so I am more like a newbie than not, but I do have enough experience with the service to have a pretty good idea of what it SHOULD be like. I am just usually disinclined to speak up but I will have to remember that I should on something where you're with the same team for a whole week.

You're right and I don't get correlating bad service with a place. It's not like ANY place, especially at Disney, has a culture of bad service. There are certain restaurants where the system makes it a challenge on servers (like Ohana, too many tables and too fast turnover) but I have still had some really spectacular servers there even so. Sometimes you just get a dud. It's less vacation ruining when it's one meal vs. someone you are stuck with for a whole week though. I will say that management does want you to be happy and will do what it takes to make that happen in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter