Disney as gifts

lovedisney123

DIS Veteran
Not sure how to word this. My young adult kids seem to buy whatever they need when they want it. I hate buying gifts because they seem to just get put away or really are a waste of money. What I WANT to do is give them memories. I would rather contribute to future trips to Disney. They both love Disney and as adults now they are paying their own way. I thought about opening up the Disney Savings accounts but I see they no longer have those. I tried gift cards but then I found them laying around. They don't take care of them.

What I would really love to do is add money to their magic bands for future trips. But I don't think I can do that can I?

Any ideas. I am getting into the whole minimalism idea and material stuff does not appeal to me any more.

Is it possible to add money to the magic bands from time to time? Then they won't misplace a gift card.

I really am not sure, all I know if this week one daughter moved out and I am finding all kinds of 'gifts' that I gave her that were never used. Two trips to Goodwill so far and I don't want to continue down this path just so they have stuff to unwrap at Christmas. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

so we are kinda the same, I have 2 -24 year olds and a 22 year old, 9 and 12 year olds We all vacation together in the spring so everything has to be done in one Disney account for fast passes and such.
in mydisney giftcard account it lets you have 5 cards linked, we named each card the kids names. We add the money from there giftcards to there name for them. I still give them the card and tell them its in there digital account. if the card is lost I can replace it easy
Or you could make them there own and keep the password so you can add
We actually have two disneygiftcard accounts one for the kids cards and one for our savings, Along with the giftcards I have given them shirts and things we need for our trips as well as food gifts and consumables (shampoo body wash etc)

https://www.disneygiftcard.com

Last edited:
A magic band is simply an electronic way to charge when at Disney using the credit card you put on file to your account. A magic band is not a credit card.

Not sure I follow the rest of your question. You gave them gifts they apparently never used and don't like gift cards. So not exactly sure what you are asking us.

I totally understand your dilemma. Our kids are in their thirties with their own families. This past Christmas I gave water park tickets for one family and park tickets to DS and DDIL, granddaughter doesn't need a ticket yet. They were thrilled and told us that they prefer receiving that type of gift. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.

I totally understand your dilemma. Our kids are in their thirties with their own families. This past Christmas I gave water park tickets for one family and park tickets to DS and DDIL, granddaughter doesn't need a ticket yet. They were thrilled and told us that they prefer receiving that type of gift. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.

my dd is 25 and hard to buy for so i started buying her a year long pass to our local second run movie theater. she was going there what seemed like every week during summers and multiple times a month the rest of the year so i figured it was something that she would put to use. she loves it-free admission year round, i love it b/c it gets used.

on a place that entails travel/vacation time to access i probably would just give her a note in a card that said 'you have x number of dollars towards your next disney/wherever vacation-payable upon request'. that way i wouldn't lock her into a specific place OR have her choose to go somewhere just b/c she had funds earmarked from me (it's the same issue with any kind of gift cards w/ me-unless i absolutely know the person frequents a place or will be going there within a reasonable amount of time i don't want them to feel obligated to by virtue of my gift to them).

Skip trying to make it a Disney thing. Yeah, I know DIS earthquake over here. They are absolutely capable at that age of being responsible to watch out for a gift card like it’s cash and the fact that they didn’t tells you something. I would straight up ask them what they want and if they say they don’t really want anything just give them cash. Or donate to a cause in their name if you think that’s more their thing.

Thanks everyone. I decided to buy a park ticket. I like the idea of the movie passes. Ours has something like that here but I haven't looked into it, sounds like I should.

With my DD and her little family... they love gift cards and cash.... with that said they do like to have something to open at Christmas and birthdays... so here's what I found that works for my family...

For birthdays - They get a card, with either cash or a gift card inside or a mixture of both... then a small gift to unwrap or a basket or a gift bag.... I tend to go for practical things that I know that they will use right away... as well as keeping in the 30 to 40 dollar range for the small gift... They normally have a theme's to them. Lets see okay... for DD in the last 2 years -I did a hair care basket - shampoo, conditioner, new brushes, hair de-tangler spray, hair bands, and clips, and mouse-ears... the year before I went with body basket her favorite body wash's, and new scruby, face wash, mask, lotions, razor's, and shaving cream, some small purse size items, hand cream, foot lotions and these spa socks... DSIL - he is very hard to buy for so his always takes some planning... He take his lunch, snacks, and drinks everyday to work... as he has to eat in between stops... So he had mentioned needing some plastic container's to DD... so I hit the dollar store up for a bunch of different size of containers, got him a thermos for hot food, and a giant insulated cup from WaWa's so he can get refill's for cheap and a 10 gift card tucked inside, some Star Wars ziploc's, some gel ice packs, and I made him a small Star Wars tote bag for him to put his chips or fruit in...

Christmas - Everyone (all the adults) - gets a box, a bag and stocking... and a something for them together as a family... So this past year the family gift for DD's family was new towels, hand towels, kitchen towels and pot holders which they totally needed... they both were excited to see them....
Then there is a mix of items that goes into each things for them personally... I try to look at the year ahead, to see what is happening, trips, vacations, and such... So I know that what I get for them - they will use them.. I already know that they need a new comforter, and lightweight blanket for their bed, so I will be on the look out for this.... Movie gift card, grocery store gift card, gas gift cards etc... lots of basic stuff - socks, t-shirts, lounge/sleep pants/pj's, slippers, things that I know that they really need, and the right brand or style that they like... While not the most exciting gifts, I know what I give them... they use it right away, and are appreciated... my SIL love's the undershirts that I buy for him...DD say's I buy the good ones that he likes...

Now the grandkids... they get lots of stuff... as they should...

I have already started my Christmas list for my family, when they mention things all along... as well I start buying for the holidays next month... this helps me spread out our budget for Christmas shopping, as well I can look for sale's all along, getting the right sizes and colors...things that I know that they want and will use...

On a side note.... I would sit down and ask each kid what do you want? gift cards.. okay... where to? Cash? donations? what about something for your house, room, car? As well I would have a talk with them about taking care of stuff... and not miss placing money... gift cards are money...

I totally get where you are coming from. I embraced a more minimalist life a few years ago and would much prefer experiences over stuff.
I would note that finding a gift card laying around doesn't necessarily mean they mismanaged it. When my kids get gift cards for just about anything, Amazon to Starbucks, they add the card $$ to their online account. The card you find laying around may very well be empty because they've transferred the money off of it.

Honestly if my adult kids didn't appreciate gift cards or other gifts given to them I would just stop buying for them. Maybe give a donation in their name.
It's awesome that they already make enough that they can buy all that they need! At that age I was just starting out in my own place with 2nd hand furniture and saving for a house.

Since they're adults, why not just ask them what they want? If they truly want for nothing, make a donation to a cause that's important to them. Or give them money towards an experience--whether it's a Disney trip or skydiving lessons. If you want something to wrap, perhaps you can find a tie-in--with some charities, you can get a t-shirt, Christmas ornament, or other memento associated with a donation.

My oldest loves travel, so she typically asks for things associated with her trips. For her birthday, she requested $100 for a multi-course meal in Mexico. I sent it to her, with a note saying to spend on the meal, or whatever. I also bought her kitchen items (spoon rest, soap dish) with llamas on them (llamas are her favorite). For Christmas, I bought her a special leather passport holder. She also set up a donation thing on Facebook, for a cause that's near and dear to her heart. I didn't donate to it--I'm giving her other things in addition to the money and kitchen stuff--but my sister donated $75--much to DD's surprise! (I'm not so surprised, my sister has a generous heart, and cares for the charity, too.)

Honestly if my adult kids didn't appreciate gift cards or other gifts given to them I would just stop buying for them. Maybe give a donation in their name.
It's awesome that they already make enough that they can buy all that they need! At that age I was just starting out in my own place with 2nd hand furniture and saving for a house.

Well we have been trying to 'push' that whole minimalism thing, so I am sure there are things they want that they can not afford, but they can afford all the need. And I don't like to add 'stuff' to your lives. I prefer consumable goods or experiences. So I didn't mean to make it sound like they have a lot of money. It is just they have their needs covered and I hate 'stuff'. So I don't like to but them 'stuff'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter