**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

We were there May 2nd as well and I agree. Most areas of the park were entirely empty. We didn't wait to ride anything. We even left a bit early as we'd done everything we wanted to do.

I'm not as thrilled with the AK and HS after hours though- just not enough to do unless you're into riding something over and over again. For us, 2-3 times is as much as I care to do.

I'll be anxious to find out if tonight is as dead as 5/2 was or if it seems busier. We're a week away from our MK after hours!

We are headed there this evening. I will definitely report back with an update after the event.

We stopped in to Ticket Services at Disney Springs earlier this afternoon to exchange our paper tickets for hard tickets and the CM that assisted us said that tonight wasnt yet sold out (yay!) and no one was expecting it to. His exact words were "it's that awkward time between the end of spring break and Easter but before school is out, so sales are slow". I'd be totally okay with that.

We are headed there this evening. I will definitely report back with an update after the event.

We stopped in to Ticket Services at Disney Springs earlier this afternoon to exchange our paper tickets for hard tickets and the CM that assisted us said that tonight wasnt yet sold out (yay!) and no one was expecting it to. His exact words were "it's that awkward time between the end of spring break and Easter but before school is out, so sales are slow". I'd be totally okay with that.
Love it!

Just got in my room after an awesome night. Got to park about 8:15 and went to get SotMK cards. Looking for # 10 and 14. Didn’t get them but someone heard me say 10 and gave it to me. Then went to Emporium to buy the new patriotic ears. Then went to Casey’s Garden for fireworks. Let the crowds die down ran to restroom then watched OUAT. Then it was 10 and off I went:

jungle Cruise
magic Carpets
PotC
Ice cream bar and water
Splash
BTMRR x2
Popcorn and water
Haunted Mansion
Ice cream sandwich which was not frozen so after a few bites it went to trash
Tangled lantern photo
PPF
IASW
7DMT
Pooh
Teacups
Buzz
Olaf bar and water
Dumbo
Met Ariel as the ride wasn’t open and it was 12:58
Walked thru castle, took pictures with PPP
Watched Kiss goodnight
Photo at bench with Minnie
Exited and walked back to Contemporary

Everything was walk on. Even 7DMT was only 4 mins to get in car once got thru the queue. Totally awesome evening!!

Just got in my room after an awesome night. Got to park about 8:15 and went to get SotMK cards. Looking for # 10 and 14. Didn’t get them but someone heard me say 10 and gave it to me. Then went to Emporium to buy the new patriotic ears. Then went to Casey’s Garden for fireworks. Let the crowds die down ran to restroom then watched OUAT. Then it was 10 and off I went:

jungle Cruise
magic Carpets
PotC
Ice cream bar and water
Splash
BTMRR x2
Popcorn and water
Haunted Mansion
Ice cream sandwich which was not frozen so after a few bites it went to trash
Tangled lantern photo
PPF
IASW
7DMT
Pooh
Teacups
Buzz
Olaf bar and water
Dumbo
Met Ariel as the ride wasn’t open and it was 12:58
Walked thru castle, took pictures with PPP
Watched Kiss goodnight
Photo at bench with Minnie
Exited and walked back to Contemporary

Everything was walk on. Even 7DMT was only 4 mins to get in car once got thru the queue. Totally awesome evening!!

Looks like you had a lovely evening.

I can't wait to read / watch the first reports of the Villain's after hours. First one is less than a month away now.

I was at the Magic Kingdom DAH event tonight (May 9).

It was definitely not crowded! After a late wake-up and a relaxing day at the hotel (Carribean Beach Resort), I felt in good shape for the night. Thanks to my annual pass, I entered the park at 5pm. I did the Hall of Presidents, then I went to the Liberty Square ticket office, next to the Hall exit, to get my DAH band. I then rode the Jungle Cruise (FP+). In the same spirit, I had a dinner (with an advanced dining reservation) at the Skipper Canteen. I went to the hub immediately after, to get a spot for Happily Ever After.

Following the fireworks, and before 10pm, I rode the tea cups and the Barnstormer (2x). Then, beginning at 10pm, I rode:

- Dumbo (2x) -- We could stay on board.
* I went to Space Mountain, at 10:20pm, but it was down.
- Astro Orbiter
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority -- with lights on in Space Mountain, which was down at the moment.
- Pirates of the Carribean
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (3x) -- we could stay on board when no people waiting for our row.
- Haunted Mansion (2x) -- no direct walking through the stretching room; it was regular operation.
- Peter Pan
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

All aforementioned attractions were walk-on, except Astro Orbiter where I waited about 5-6 minutes.

The carts for beverages, pop corn and ice cream were numerous, and basically with no wait. I took 2 ice cream products, and a total of 6 bottles (5 of which were brought back to my resort room -- it is a way to maximize the benefit for the event price). I waited about 2 minutes at one of these carts; otherwise, I didn't wait at all.

I also took several pictures. I left the park at 1:30am. We were about 6 passengers in the returning bus dedicated to CBR.

Aside the closure of Space Mountain -- I don't know whether it reopens during the evening - I was very satisfied of this event.

I will attend DAH at Disney's Hollywood Studios tomorrow. I am looking forward to compare.

So, I guess what we’ve learned here is that early May is a pretty good time to hit DAH. You get the benefit of the later 10-1am time and arguably that tiny window of slightly lower crowds between spring/summer.

This was my first time visiting in early May, but it won’t be my last. We usually go in the summer, but have been in Sept, Oct, Dec and January. I haven’t seen this low a crowd level in many years. Dah’s were great, but regular park hours were pretty amazing too compared to any other trip we’ve made in recent years.

The only down sides were the weather. (way too much rain) and the love bugs that apparently moved in the day we arrived.

We were also at DAH last night. VERY pleased with the event, and we would totally do it again. Our last 2 rides on BTMRR there were a grand total of 7 people, including us, on the train. Hubby had his own boat on Splash. We waited maybe 5 minutes for 7DMT. So. Much. Fun.

This is the way we want to "do Disney".

Last edited:
We were also at DAH last night. VERY pleased with the event, and we would totally do it again. Our last 2 rides on BTMRR there were a grand total of 7 people, including us, on the train. Hibby had his own boat on Splash. We waited maybeb5 minutes for 7DMT. So. Much. Fun.

This is the way we want to "do Disney".

I was on a BTMRR car with just me in the very back and another girl in the very front. It was great. :)

This was my first time visiting in early May, but it won’t be my last. We usually go in the summer, but have been in Sept, Oct, Dec and January. I haven’t seen this low a crowd level in many years. Dah’s were great, but regular park hours were pretty amazing too compared to any other trip we’ve made in recent years.

The only down sides were the weather. (way too much rain) and the love bugs that apparently moved in the day we arrived.
I heard this from those who visited last year too. Early May is super low crowds, but it's a no-go for us because our schools end before Memorial Day. Which means early May is too close to the end of the year, with school projects due soon, final exams, recital practices, etc. Wish we could visit during this time!

I heard this from those who visited last year too. Early May is super low crowds, but it's a no-go for us because our schools end before Memorial Day. Which means early May is too close to the end of the year, with school projects due soon, final exams, recital practices, etc. Wish we could visit during this time!

Same! I'd love to go first week of May, but that is testing week for our schools. :(

My daughters and son in law are teachers so they can’t go. My grandson is home schooled though, so I can take him any time of year. I love our trips together!

When did you arrive, cakebaker? We got here last Saturday (May 4th) and have only had two afternoon thunderstorms......a shorter one on our arrival day and a longer one on Sunday, May 5th. Otherwise it's been nothing but sun.

We have been visiting Orlando the 1st week of May since 2015, and the love bugs this year are definitely the worst we have seen. We generally visit each May (low crowds, and to celebrate our anniversary) and October (for the Halloween events) but as much fun as the Halloween festivities are, you cant beat early May for crowds!

When did you arrive, cakebaker? We got here last Saturday (May 4th) and have only had two afternoon thunderstorms......a shorter one on our arrival day and a longer one on Sunday, May 5th. Otherwise it's been nothing but sun.

We have been visiting Orlando the 1st week of May since 2015, and the love bugs this year are definitely the worst we have seen. We generally visit each May (low crowds, and to celebrate our anniversary) and October (for the Halloween events) but as much fun as the Halloween festivities are, you cant beat early May for crowds!

We were there 2-7. Saturday evening at HS was a mess- had the dessert pkg for Fantasmic that was cancelled, the storm started just as we sat down. They wouldn’t let us stay in the stadium under cover, I assume for good reason but we got drenched getting out. We ended up opting to skip DAH. Had to wait on the boat for 45 minutes before the lightening let up enough to get back to the resort. Sunday was our planned afternoon at the resort to swim and it rained hard all afternoon. Our FEA dessert party was moved inside due to the rain that night. I heard some people say parts of the MK were temporarily roped off due to flooding, but I wasn’t there so just a rumor.

So while it didn’t rain every day, the times it did always cost us dearly. It’s just luck of the draw, wouldn’t let it stop me from going this time of year again, but It was frustrating nonetheless. yes, the weather turned beautiful on a Monday, our last full day.

Last edited:
Hi, we're planning on attending next week's event. Is parking at Disney Springs available during this? We're staying off property but will likely be having an early supper at Disney Springs or a Magic Kingdom resort before and were trying to plan ahead. Will busses to DS still be running after MK after hours?

Hi, we're planning on attending next week's event. Is parking at Disney Springs available during this? We're staying off property but will likely be having an early supper at Disney Springs or a Magic Kingdom resort before and were trying to plan ahead. Will busses to DS still be running after MK after hours?
If you go the DS route, I think your best bet would be to walk to the contemporary and take a lyft

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter