**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

....They wanted to ride Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan and Tomorrowland Speedway but they all had 20 minute waits and looking at the queues those wait times looked accurate. .....
To address this comment specifically. OP probably realizes it as they've done other events but others may not put the 2 and 2 together but queues are not going to give a great representation of wait times. Not if you are looking at the line and thinking "that line would take X amount of time" if you are comparing it to the same line in the daytime. Remember, there are no FP returnees during the event so lines move MUCH faster.

To address this comment specifically. OP probably realizes it as they've done other events but others may not put the 2 and 2 together but queues are not going to give a great representation of wait times. Not if you are looking at the line and thinking "that line would take X amount of time" if you are comparing it to the same line in the daytime. Remember, there are no FP returnees during the event so lines move MUCH faster.

I think that is a point worth repeating. Not sure I would have considered that.

Wow, not disputing either post by any means but there's hardly any way one can read these and come to the conclusion that these 2 reports are from the same exact night. They are polar opposites, not even close to the same experiences.

Personally, we've done all parties, other types of ticketed events like SW Celebration at HS or Harambe Nights at AK, plus DAH multiple times. Including every iteration offered at MK, initial roll out to last month. We are going to the VAH event next Thursday night. So I have a lot to compare it to.
Maybe they are reporting on different aspects. @skullsplitter seemed to have focused on the rides for younger kids (Dumbo, Barnstormer, Pooh being walk-ons). They both indicate that Space is about 20-25 minutes. We've been hearing that Space, 7DMT have had longer lines. It does make sense that the rides for younger children will be uncrowded since it is pretty late in the evening.

I think that is a point worth repeating. Not sure I would have considered that.
It's hard to adjust your thinking. You always look at lines and naturally compare to what you are used to, which is having a FP line too.

Maybe they are reporting on different aspects. @skullsplitter seemed to have focused on the rides for younger kids (Dumbo, Barnstormer, Pooh being walk-ons). They both indicate that Space is about 20-25 minutes. We've been hearing that Space, 7DMT have had longer lines. It does make sense that the rides for younger children will be uncrowded since it is pretty late in the evening.
For rides maybe but there were polar opposite reports about crowds on the pathways too.

It's hard to adjust your thinking. You always look at lines and naturally compare to what you are used to, which is having a FP line too.
Very true. It’s an adjustment from with or without FP. It is shorter without FP- the lines are constantly moving.

That said, 7DMT and Space were both consistently about 25 minutes. In fact 7DMT was over 45 at the start, and still at 40 after the first run of Malefecent. The CMs said “they had not cleared all the day guests yet”. To me, that’s not acceptable for what we paid for the event. There should be an early closure of headliners to allow for that to happen at this price.

I will say that we were at MK for EMH the night before and it was so insane that we left right around 10. (Right as the skies decided to open up and flood us out anyway!) point being, comparing the 2 nights it’s easy to see that the addition of so many paid events combined with the reduction in free EMH and regular park operating hours is making EMH a must-do and driving demand for DAH.

We have never done any type of paid before or after hours, and I’ll admit this was more crowded that we expected. If I had not been reading this thread I would have been plenty angry. As it was, we had a plan and were able to accomplish quite a bit. We did Splash during HEA as a walk-on, the got to Thunder at 9:45 to a 25 minute wait. From there we did POC, PP, 7DMT, Space and Buzz. We also got several snacks and a few magic shots before leaving at 1. We also saw the Villains at the train station on the way out and had no issue with the bus back to SSR.

Overall it was a decent night but we did not feel like we “had the park to ourselves “...

That said, 7DMT and Space were both consistently about 25 minutes. In fact 7DMT was over 45 at the start, and still at 40 after the first run of Malefecent. The CMs said “they had not cleared all the day guests yet”. To me, that’s not acceptable for what we paid for the event. There should be an early closure of headliners to allow for that to happen at this price.
7DMT is the one ride that I've never seen with a really short line except for during EMH event. It had a long line at every DAH we've done. We don't often ride Space, takes over a year for our old bodies to recover, LOL so not as familiar with the usual wait times on it.

It would be nice if they'd cut the lines off earlier on ticketed nights but that would tick off a larger number of guests so I don't guess we'll ever see that happen.

7DMT is the one ride that I've never seen with a really short line except for during EMH event. It had a long line at every DAH we've done. We don't often ride Space, takes over a year for our old bodies to recover, LOL so not as familiar with the usual wait times on it.

It would be nice if they'd cut the lines off earlier on ticketed nights but that would tick off a larger number of guests so I don't guess we'll ever see that happen.

I agree. But to clear a 75 minute line cuts into quite a bit of the event! On the positive side, they has CMs in part of the queue of 7DMT handing out drinks and ice cream so we appreciated that!

Like I said, we did OK, but only because we had a plan and had an idea of what to expect. We have been coming to WDW for a long time and understand the lines, how FP impacts them, etc. But we also remember when we could accomplish the same things we did last night for free. We’re adjusting to the “new normal” but it’s been a challenge!

we went to 2 DAH last August and never waited more than 20 minutes for 7DMT. The first night PP had a longer line but the following week we walked right one. Space was walk on for us both times. The first night DS and I rode Buzz back to back about 3 times. It does sound like it has been a lot more crowded. I've still been debating on 8/8 but not sure we will spend the money

Ok, I have been indecisive about what to do my first afternoon next Thursday before the event, but I think I am going to grab some FP+ for the afternoon and just grab my wristband for VAH from one of the spots inside. That way I am there.

This is true, but comparing it to our experience in October- there were virtually no lines. I didn't have to guess as to how long that line would take to get through the ride because there weren't any. The only thing that had anything close to a line was SDMT, everything else was a walk on.

I find quite often though that we get very conflicting reports on actual conditions- some of it's timing, some is expectations and some of it is people who are first timers who haven't been before. I've read very few negatives about regular DAH MK events- but I'm reading a lot about the villains. Something has changed.

We’ve done a lot of up charge events. Emm,Hea,WAT and tours. This was our third this trip and have two more scheduled. This was our most disappointing ever. First ride was jungle cruise. We got in line at 10pm. Asked to use the fast pass line with our bands but was not allowed. Legitimate 20 minute wait. Next pirates it was 26 minutes from walking in to boarding a boat. We went to Splash next. No wait. Just the time to walk through. BTMR twice...about 5 minutes each time. HM next. With preshow and ride about 10 minutes. We headed to SDMT. Wait time posted at 30 minutes but the line was out to the walkway. Skipped it. Headed to SM. Wait listed as 25 minutes. The line was very long outside the ride. Rode Buzz. No wait. Checked SM again. The line was longer. SDMT still posted as 30 minutes. Rode Pooh, no line, just walk through. Got in line for PP. got out of line after 10 minutes. It was almost time for the 1am Show

Seriously disappointed at Jungke 20, PC 25+, SDMT 30 and SM 25.

I just don’t think this is acceptable for an AH.

We’ve done a lot of up charge events. Emm,Hea,WAT and tours. This was our third this trip and have two more scheduled. This was our most disappointing ever. First ride was jungle cruise. We got in line at 10pm. Asked to use the fast pass line with our bands but was not allowed. Legitimate 20 minute wait. Next pirates it was 26 minutes from walking in to boarding a boat. We went to Splash next. No wait. Just the time to walk through. BTMR twice...about 5 minutes each time. HM next. With preshow and ride about 10 minutes. We headed to SDMT. Wait time posted at 30 minutes but the line was out to the walkway. Skipped it. Headed to SM. Wait listed as 25 minutes. The line was very long outside the ride. Rode Buzz. No wait. Checked SM again. The line was longer. SDMT still posted as 30 minutes. Rode Pooh, no line, just walk through. Got in line for PP. got out of line after 10 minutes. It was almost time for the 1am Show

Having been in both Space and 7DMT lines last night, those times were about accurate. And agreed the length of the lines was not acceptable.

we went to 2 DAH last August and never waited more than 20 minutes for 7DMT. The first night PP had a longer line but the following week we walked right one. Space was walk on for us both times. The first night DS and I rode Buzz back to back about 3 times. It does sound like it has been a lot more crowded. I've still been debating on 8/8 but not sure we will spend the money
That's pretty much in line with a consistent 25 min wait reported by people who went on the 11th. A 5 min longer wait, while no, not great, isn't really "a lot more crowded"

Going on rides in that first hour is annoying. Too much cross over with day guests still in line. We've managed by hitting the less popular ones to start and moving to those later.

That's pretty much in line with a consistent 25 min wait reported by people who went on the 11th. A 5 min longer wait, while no, not great, isn't really "a lot more crowded"

Going on rides in that first hour is annoying. Too much cross over with day guests still in line. We've managed by hitting the less popular ones to start and moving to those later.

I agree, A 5 min difference on one ride isn’t a big difference. But for our comparison, we did not wait in ANY lines on our previous DAH, either at the beginning or end (we didn’t do or check the line for SDMT either time, assuming it was long enough so we did it during other times). In fact the first time we stayed on multiple rides, some as many as 5x in a row, without getting off because no one was in line. For the villains after hours we had over 20 min for 3 rides, and I have ready plenty of reports where people waited for rides that weren’t the ones we had to wait in (space, Astro orbiter, and speedway). We never had any chance to simply stay on a ride, for the ones they might let you there were always people waiting. The waits were in the first hour, and I never rechecked those rides to see if the waits died down. However, we also started both times in Tomorrowland, so the times within the event (ie first hour) we rode would be similar and no lines with regular DAH and lines with VDAH. I admit I have no insider knowledge, but I’m convinced more people are going to these. I’m taking a leap and assuming they are selling more tickets, and not that simply more people are buying them.

I'm not sure what the closing hours are currently, but during our trip at the beginning of August, the only weekday MK is open until 10 instead of 9 is the VAH night. I'm wondering if that will also create heavier attendance/higher wait times for the first hour at our 8/8 night. :guilty:

I know that it isn't an exact science but when they say that Winnie the Pooh has a 30 minute wait and the queue is spilling out into fantasy land I tend to believe it...especially since I waited in several of the lines and a few were longer than advertised. I didn't just skip everything because the lines looked long. I waited in several 20 minute + lines which was unacceptable. At Animal Kingdom I waited in 1 line...for 20 minutes and that was Flight of Passage.

My personal opinion, having done 2 regular MK AH and 2 Villains AH, regular AH events are better for filling your ride quota. Villains is better for atmosphere and theming. It all depends where your interests lie.

We approached Villains After Hours from the perspective of wanting to experience the villains theming: magic shots, music, food, decor and spectacles. We wanted to ride rides also, but we stuck to the 3 (honorable mention for TTA People Mover) rides that were unique to the party. We figured we could ride everything else any regular ol' MK day. We loved the atmosphere, so we didn't leave disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter