**Disney After Hours - Animal Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

We didn't feel rushed at all and were able to soak up the atmosphere of the AK at night, which is really beautiful even without the Pandora area which is of course amazing at night. We were able to walk on all of the rides we were interested in multiple times. We also got plenty of snacks and one of the CM's actually gave us a hot chocolate at the bar outside EE even though that wasn't part of the night's offerings. They also gave my dad and sister (my mom and I didn't want anymore at that point) one each of all of the ice cream snacks at the end of the night. So like 4-5 ice creams for each of them which was so nice of them. It was cold enough at that point that we didn't have to worry about them melting and just brought them back to our room to put in the freezer section of our fridges (we had two rooms). We also really enjoyed taking photos of the park as we were leaving with no one else in them. We ended up with our own bus back to the AKL also and didn't have to wait for it - just walked right on and off we went.

At the MK DAH, which we did the following evening I think it was, we felt a lot more rushed and also 7DMT and Pooh were down for the first half of the night which affected our plan of going from ride to ride as we came to them. We ended up going over to Tomorrowland then rushing back to Fantasyland once I saw on the app that the rides had reopened. We ended up waiting about 10 minutes for 7DMT but I know people who got there after us reported waiting closer to 30 minutes. Just a more rushed and less relaxing feel to the evening. If they added another hour to it to account for the higher number or rides and possible break downs of rides we would feel that it was more worth the price.

The one thing that was better in the MK was that their popcorn was freshly made whereas the popcorn in AK was pre-boxed - could definitely tell the difference!

Stupid question but which ice cream snacks are available? Everyone online talks about the Mickey Bars and ice cream sandwiches but are the fruit bars also available? (They are my dad's favorite and he was wondering).

Stupid question but which ice cream snacks are available? Everyone online talks about the Mickey Bars and ice cream sandwiches but are the fruit bars also available? (They are my dad's favorite and he was wondering).
At ak we saw strawberry bars available before pandora

At mk they had the Olaf bars which are the best. Some of them also have chocolate covered bananas. I know they have them at mk but I’m unsure about the other two

I think it really depends on what interests a person in AK. We were there last week on a day that was supposed to be a "1" on the crowd calendar but it ended up being a 7. Our 3 FP's were FOP, EE and the safari. The only other attraction we did was Tough to be a Bug, because the crowd was (in our opinion) horrendous. I've always felt that AK is really only a half-day park at most if you're not into the walking trails and shows (which we're not). I'd happily trade a day-pass for an after-hour party, allowing us the opportunity to ride FOP and EE several times.
That makes sense for sure. If all you want to do is the rides in the park I suppose this would work. We like the trails and the shows as much as the rides. My husband considers AK a 2 day park (for me it's a full 1 day).

They haven't yet and I haven't heard any rumors of them doing so anytime soon.

thanks for the reply. an EMM event for DAK would be great in the Summer months since it is gets so warm by noon. For now, I can just hope my early May dates open up for after hours.

thanks for the reply. an EMM event for DAK would be great in the Summer months since it is gets so warm by noon. For now, I can just hope my early May dates open up for after hours.

Since EMM only lasts an hour, it would be really difficult to see how they could offer one at Pandora since FOP takes so long to experience. You'd get 2 rides at MOST. On top of that, there are only 2 rides in the area and nothing else close enough to add to it. The other EMM events have 3 or more rides available that are all on the shorter side. After hours events just seem to work a little better for this park and still some feel it isn't worth the money considering the time it takes to experience FOP as well as walking from one side of the park to the other.

I had really hoped we would get a new set of dates during the first week of February, but that ship has sailed now. I guess I'll just have to keep planning my trip with the flexibility to add these events later just in case.

Since EMM only lasts an hour, it would be really difficult to see how they could offer one at Pandora since FOP takes so long to experience. You'd get 2 rides at MOST. On top of that, there are only 2 rides in the area and nothing else close enough to add to it. The other EMM events have 3 or more rides available that are all on the shorter side. After hours events just seem to work a little better for this park and still some feel it isn't worth the money considering the time it takes to experience FOP as well as walking from one side of the park to the other.

I had really hoped we would get a new set of dates during the first week of February, but that ship has sailed now. I guess I'll just have to keep planning my trip with the flexibility to add these events later just in case.
An early morning safari would be neat or sunrise on Everest

I book EMM at HS for April and i sure hope it is not an hour when it says it ends at 10. EMM for Pandora only would be fine with me. As a new AP I am really hoping for early May dates.

I book EMM at HS for April and i sure hope it is not an hour when it says it ends at 10. EMM for Pandora only would be fine with me. As a new AP I am really hoping for early May dates.

It’s not just an hour. The official start is 7:30 but all reports are they let guests in the park around 6:45, then open TSL 7:10-7:20 and the website says it runs until 8:45. Regular park opening is 9 but they can let them in early. Breakfast is served until 10. The MK is pretty much the same thing. EMM’s are not just 1 hr. The extra magic hours for on site guests are an hour. Perhaps the two are getting confused.

Last edited:
The exclusive access to attractions ends at rope drop. The breakfast stays open until 10.

I'm still on the fence about doing this. I will be flying to Orlando on the 19th for some business at Cape Canaveral starting the following morning. I really like DAK and would enjoy walking around, riding FOP, Navi River, and EE, and would even enjoy sitting through Rivers of Light again. The weather forecast is also looking pretty ideal. However, if I stayed until 11:30pm I wouldn't get to my hotel at Cape Canaveral until around 1am, which is kind of late since I have to sit through meetings the following day.

I was pretty decided that I would do this event, but now I'm leaning toward just going to Disney Springs to enjoy some food and drink and shopping, getting to Cape Canaveral earlier, and maybe even going for a walk or jog on the beach. I'm also considering some resort hopping. Last year at this time I went to Disney Springs and explored Saratoga Springs resort, Old Key West, and Port Orleans. Last fall I explored the monorail resorts. This time I'm thinking either Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge.

I'm still on the fence about doing this. I will be flying to Orlando on the 19th for some business at Cape Canaveral starting the following morning. I really like DAK and would enjoy walking around, riding FOP, Navi River, and EE, and would even enjoy sitting through Rivers of Light again. The weather forecast is also looking pretty ideal. However, if I stayed until 11:30pm I wouldn't get to my hotel at Cape Canaveral until around 1am, which is kind of late since I have to sit through meetings the following day.

I was pretty decided that I would do this event, but now I'm leaning toward just going to Disney Springs to enjoy some food and drink and shopping, getting to Cape Canaveral earlier, and maybe even going for a walk or jog on the beach. I'm also considering some resort hopping. Last year at this time I went to Disney Springs and explored Saratoga Springs resort, Old Key West, and Port Orleans. Last fall I explored the monorail resorts. This time I'm thinking either Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge.
Honestly trying to fit ak dah into your plans sounds more stressful than anything. Your idea to go to the different resorts sounds fun!

I did this event on the 5th and the 6th of February. Both nights where very similar with the crowds at the start. Park does not tend to clear out till around 9:30 because of the Rivers of Light and everyone looking at the tree show. As well as those who were already in line for FOP making their way out. After that it's a very quiet park. Every ride was a walk on by this time. I was able to see and do everything I wanted both nights. The dance party is a little rough when there is almost no one there but they entertain themselves which is entertaining in its own way. I did not have to "watch" the pre-show for FOP, just had to wait the time for the previous ride to finish.

I did not have to "watch" the pre-show for FOP, just had to wait the time for the previous ride to finish.

Wow, really? We were also there Feb. 6 and rode FOP three times. They made us watch both pre-shows every time! They didn't even run the shorter first pre-show we'd experienced at rope-drop the previous day

Wow, really? We were also there Feb. 6 and rode FOP three times. They made us watch both pre-shows every time! They didn't even run the shorter first pre-show we'd experienced at rope-drop the previous day
When we were there on the 5th they made us go through both pre shows. Two of the three times through we got the short version of the first pre show, the last time we got the long version.

When we were there on the 5th they made us go through both pre shows. Two of the three times through we got the short version of the first pre show, the last time we got the long version.
I didn’t even know there was a short version of the first pre show. I think we’ve only seen the normal, long one

Whenever we've been on regular park days, the preshow seems to vary quite abit on whether we get a longer or shorter version. It doesn't really make sense, not sure who makes those decisions. Honestly, I'd be fine with the shorter version every time!

Whenever we've been on regular park days, the preshow seems to vary quite abit on whether we get a longer or shorter version. It doesn't really make sense, not sure who makes those decisions. Honestly, I'd be fine with the shorter version every time!

I've thought it might depend on whether someone was slow to clear the ride vehicle after the preceding show - needed to transfer from "banshee" to ECV, for instance - or if there was a protein spill or other issue that needed to be cleared up.

I've thought it might depend on whether someone was slow to clear the ride vehicle after the preceding show - needed to transfer from "banshee" to ECV, for instance - or if there was a protein spill or other issue that needed to be cleared up.
Exactly. The time spent in the preshow is based on how long they need till you can load. Not just forcing you to wait for no reason

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter