Disney 2018 Full Year and Q4 Earnings Report

Parks and Resorts outperformed expectations

Iger noted no studio has ever performed as well as Disney did in 2018

Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 9% to $5.1 billion

Iger notes the change in ticketing strategy at Walt Disney World should spread out demand and increase yield

Iger confirms that National Geographic will be on the Disney streaming service

The Disney streaming service will feature a docu-series on Walt Disney Imagineering. Part of their efforts to appeal to hard core Disney fans

Disney is not looking to make more movies post acquisition than Fox and Disney have done previously

Disney spent more than $800 million more on domestic park capital projects than they did the previous year

Iger said that they would be interested in buying Comcast or AT&T's stake in Hulu

The Disney Streaming Service will be called Disney+

A live-action Rogue One prequel series starring Diego Luna will be on Disney+

More details on Disney+ will be revealed at an investor conference in April

and Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 9% to $5.1 billion, and segment operating income increased 11% to $829 million.

Operating income growth for the quarter was due to an increase at our domestic operations. Domestic results reflected the comparison to the adverse impact of Hurricane Irma, which occurred in the prior-year quarter.

Higher operating income at our domestic operations was primarily due to increased guest spending and attendance ... Guest spending growth was due to increases in average ticket prices for theme park admissions and cruise line sailings, food, beverage and merchandise spending and average daily hotel room rates.

... so in other words - we keep increasing prices and people keep paying them

Parks and Resorts outperformed expectations

Iger noted no studio has ever performed as well as Disney did in 2018

Iger notes the change in ticketing strategy at Walt Disney World should spread out demand and increase yield

Iger confirms that National Geographic will be on the Disney streaming service

The Disney streaming service will feature a docu-series on Walt Disney Imagineering. Part of their efforts to appeal to hard core Disney fans

Disney is not looking to make more movies post acquisition than Fox and Disney have done previously

Disney spent more than $800 million more on domestic park capital projects than they did the previous year

Iger said that they would be interested in buying Comcast or AT&T's stake in Hulu

More details on Disney+ will be revealed at an investor conference in April

I hate the name and logo for the streaming service but I’m super excited for the Imagineering series.

That sounds good - really glad they are having things like this and the previously reported series on the Ink and Paint girls.

So a prequel to a prequel to part IV or a series ... got it

Disney Vault was right there and a known name with a concept that just won't continue in a digital world effectively. And they just ignored it.

Iger sees opportunities to increase the pricing of Hulu.

Part of the reason Hulu has struggled compared to Netflix is the cost being greater for a similar experience. I mean I like Hulu way more but I also pay over twice as much for it.

Disney Vault was right there and a known name with a concept that just won't continue in a digital world effectively. And they just ignored it.

Part of the reason Hulu has struggled compared to Netflix is the cost being greater for a similar experience. I mean I like Hulu way more but I also pay over twice as much for it.

But at least for me “Disney Vault” would be just old stuff and wouldn’t connote all the new material

But at least for me “Disney Vault” would be just old stuff and wouldn’t connote all the new material
I personally like the name Disney+, and the fact the + sign curves well with the Pixie Dust trail that arches over the logo, as per the Castle. However, it'll be interesting to see what the app icon would look like, though I'd imagine it to be just the Disney D and the + sign.

I personally like the name Disney+, and the fact the + sign curves well with the Pixie Dust trail that arches over the logo, as per the Castle. However, it'll be interesting to see what the app icon would look like, though I'd imagine it to be just the Disney D and the + sign.
Problem I have with it is that it isn't unique. It doesn't stand out as something special. We already have dozens of pluses, goes, and nows. It doesn't suggest that the service will be any different than all the other options.

National Geographic on streaming? That's too bad. I have exactly one show I watch on it so I won't follow it but I will miss it.

Problem I have with it is that it isn't unique. It doesn't stand out as something special. We already have dozens of pluses, goes, and nows. It doesn't suggest that the service will be any different than all the other options.
It does, however, fit within the existing + brands Disney already uses in the Parks such as FastPass+ and PhotoPass+, so the precedent of using the + again was already there.
National Geographic on streaming? That's too bad. I have exactly one show I watch on it so I won't follow it but I will miss it.
I was honestly surprised that it was going to be part of Disney+, given that they also have Hulu as an avenue for releases that wouldn't fit within the Disney Trinity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!