Discover the Wild (and Healthy) Side!! – WISH May Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

progress end of week 4

I won't go over my daily calories. Not even one day I went over 3 days, all Fridays. Not by much but I did
I will walk at least 15000 steps each day My average is about 19000 so well exceeding goals
I will do my minimalistic training weights (15 minutes daily, 5 times a week) Nailed this one, in fact it's not up to 30 minutes per workout
3500 calories deficit weekly goal - current deficit about 13435, vs target 14000. According to this I am about 565 calories behind but if there was any miscalculations, which I have a sneaky suspicion there were few times it will be more. There are 3 more days until the end of the month, I won't be trying to make up for it!

I am giving myself about 80% so far.

Avatar question - not in terms of fitness and health. I figured, even if you get where you want to be with miracle help from avatar, you will still have to do the things that are needed to be done to stay at this level of health and fitness. At least if you do it yourself you have better odds of staying there.

May 29

Pandora - the World of Avatar

Today we are visiting the Sa'tuli Canteen:

full

This is the new counterservice restaurant at Pandora. And besides offering some interesting healthy food options (bows with lean protein, healthy grains and vegetables), it also is the first restaurant to offer mobile ordering. You can place your order on the My Disney Experience App and then just let the restaurant know via the app that you are there and they will prepare the food and send you an alert on your phone when the food can be picked up while you can sit comfortably at a table and don't have to hang out in any lines. The system is supposed to come to more WDW counter service restaurants in the near future, but currently it is a Pandora exclusive.

So, let's talk about how to get healthy food in a convenient way? Please share any tips that you have for those days when everyone needs to be fed in a healthy way, but time is rare and you need a quick fix.

I am once again behind with answering my own QOTDs. My answer to the weekend one would be that I would love to try out scuba diving, but I can't because I have asthma. So, I would love to be able to experience it via an avatar!

Today's QOTD: My quick to go to food is always pasta with vegetables. In a pinch a large portion of homemade tomato sauce (sautee some onions and garlic, throw in a can of tomatoes and some herbs, simmer while pasta cooks) will do. I often eat a small portion of pasta with a whole can of tomato for myself. More tomato soup with pasta... But delicious and not too bad. I sometimes would add parmesan cheese for at least some protein. I know that it is not perfectly healthy, but it is easy and quick and helps me avoid worse choices. I do find it difficult to get in easy and quick protein unless I go to eggs and I am not the biggest fan of eggs for a meal (love them for snacks though).

What a great question! This is one that I've been struggling with lately but that I need to get much better at. I'm about to start rehearsals for a show so I'll be eating dinner in my car for about 5 weeks and so far the only idea I have is a turkey wrap (which sounds good but not for 5 weeks straight...).

I've been working on making better choices at restaurants since I do love to eat out and I've found that Chick Fil A has some of the healthier options as far as fast food goes. Since I'm only a couple weeks into WW I'm still figuring everything out but I'm slowly learning!

question of the day - pre chop veggies! Makes everything so much easier. few cups of veggies, portion of protein, some chopped tomatoes, herbs & wholemeal pasta
few cups of veggies, egg whites, parmesian = fritatta
few cups of veggies, wholegrain or rice noodles, some portein, sirarcha, lime - stir fry
left over chicken, veggies, chicken stock, some noodles - soup
salad - veggies, tuna, cheese

love your veggies do some prep and it will be easy for you!

Any volunteers to take the last 10 days of June? If not I will put myself on the list to host September. I am sorry that I can't commit for full month

Thank you for your offer! I hope there is someone who is willing to take over the last third of June! It would be a great way to try out hosting for someone who hasn't done it before!

May 30

Pandora - still!
BansheeFEATUREFINAL.jpg

These lovely creatures are banshees. At Windtraders (the souvenir shop) in Pandora, they have a rookery where you can connect with a banshee and then adopt said banshee as a pet for your home. A rather unusual pet!

Do you have any pet or do you wish you had a pet? What about a banshee? Do you think you will be tempted to pay the 50 $ adoption fee when you visit Pandora?

I don't have a pet, but I would like to have a dog. It is just not practical with me working long hours, I don't want the puppy to be at home long times during the day on its own. I think a dog would be great to make sure that I get out and get exercise. But then I know that the dogs we had when I was a kid would not have been great to take along for a run. They were far to easily interested in all kind of things and would make sudden stops...

I think the banshees look cool, but I have no inerest in getting one. Yes, they would be a very low maintenance pet. But ultimately most of my souvenirs now need to have a purpose. I don't like having too much clutter. And I am afraid that a banshee would just be that.

Hello all,

Only days away from official Winter here and I have had the last 2 days off work with a virus/flu :sad1: - planning on getting back to work tomorrow but not all better yet :sad2:

So, let's talk about how to get healthy food in a convenient way? Please share any tips that you have for those days when everyone needs to be fed in a healthy way, but time is rare and you need a quick fix.

Ugh - this is completely my downfall - the quick and convenient way we deal with it now is NOT healthy e.g. takeout o_O and to make matters worse I know that it is not affordable either and when I do get organised and cut back on the takeout it saves $$$.

Tonight I made some tomato and roast capsicum soup (yummy) and have put 3 containers in the freezer - so this is good for me - but my kids don't like soup! @HappyGrape how many days to you store your pre-cut veggies in the fridge for? What containers do you use to ensure they stay nice and fresh? I really think I need to consider this as - veggie prep is time consuming each night.

Do you have any pet or do you wish you had a pet? What about a banshee? Do you think you will be tempted to pay the 50 $ adoption fee when you visit Pandora?

We have a Budgie - called 'Shadow' he is not a nice budgie - we can't get him out of the cage he just tries to bite and has always been this way right from young when we got him. We also have a Fighting Fish called Myles - he is cool and quite interactive for a fish lol. We really wish we could have a dog - we don't for a couple of reason's same as you @Flossbolna - we are out for big parts of the day but also because we are renting, with the unpredictability of renting it is harder in the Australian market to rent when you have pets - most landlords say no to pets. My poor kids have dog envy of our neighbours dogs and live vicariously through them at the moment. I would like to say I wouldn't be tempted to adopt a Banshee - but then again if one of the kids wanted it bad enough I could be known to be talked into it whilst on holiday .... It's a good thing I won't be visiting Pandora any time soon :rotfl:

Any volunteers to take the last 10 days of June? If not I will put myself on the list to host September. I am sorry that I can't commit for full month

I won't say yes just yet at I will have 2 OT students to supervise at work during part of that time and being end of school term it will be pretty hectic. I agree with @Flossbolna 10 days would be a great way for a newbie host to have a go :thumbsup2

We have a one year old puppy, Waffles
IMG_2442.JPG

And my two year old princess kitty, Cupcake
IMG_1933.jpg

They're our children right now and I love them!
As for a Banshee, I think they're cute but I agree with @Flossbolna in that I prefer my souvenirs to be more practical so I probably won't be getting one myself.

I do buy fruits and veggies pre-cut, although I was chuckling about it this morning while I was cutting my pre-cut fruit in to smaller pieces. I also buy lettuce in the bag

I have two cats and love 'em to death despite the yacking up of the hairballs (I stepped in one this weekend - yuck!) and the pooping in the bathtub. I'd love to have a dog someday, but as others have mentioned just don't have the time at home to dedicate to it. There might possibly be some sheep in my future, although that would also involve a significant lifestyle change. I have no interest in "adopting" a banshee. Avatar was on TV this weekend and I did try to watch it, I really did. But I get so annoyed with story-lines where the male characters are all macho-shoot-first "bravado" aka stupid. After about 5 minutes I changed the channel.

It was a 100% lazy holiday weekend, with just little bits of things accomplished here and there. This week is going to be crazy busy though as I'm actually only going to be in the office 2 1/2 days and will have to scramble to get things done and set up for someone else to fill in while I'm out. In addition I have some sort of pre-vacation appointment each day, so it'll be busy, busy, busy.

I ate better over the weekend, the biggest accomplishment was reducing my dairy intake. This morning I finally brought my breakfast with me to work, and walked past Starbucks's - yah me because my morning Chai is where I get the most dairy. I've been coughing quite a bit and want to get that cleared up before the retreat, so I'm not annoying the heck out of my cabin mates. It usually only takes 3 or 4 good clean eating days and already this morning the coughing was better, so I'm right on track.

I drove out to my favorite yarn store Saturday, a lovely 45 minute drive in to the country that was smooth sailing and relatively traffic free. I got the yarn for the shawl class, a couple more colors for the color class, some notions and a project bag plus a pattern and yarn for a sock pattern I wanted to try. It was quite a treasure trove of goodies.

Well, better get to work! Happy Tuesday everyone.

Last edited:
Back from our trip and happy to see that I didn't do too bad. The scale was only up one pound, and I had 3 meals "out" that weren't particularly healthy, but not completely bad either. Otherwise, we ate breakfast in our room or did a sort of fend for yourself with wraps and sliced veggies.

Hearkening back to the previous QOTD, even at home, I love having the sliced veggies ready to go at a moments notice for a snack or meal. It really does help.

Pandora was insane the first day, but we were early risers and were some of the first ones in avoiding the madness. Since we had done the preview, our only focus was riding Flight of Passage again, and then just meander and take in the atmosphere and excitement. I was not even tempted by the Banshee.... cute but not practical and I don't have any super attachment to the film so there's that too.

Besides, my fur babies at home are much more my speed. Two kitties who I absolutely adore! Like some of you have mentioned, I would like a dog too but they are a lot of work, and I like that my cats can take care of themselves.

So sorry about this and the lack of support you seem to Ben getting from the school on this!

Also sorry to hear about your school being weak - that would feel so frustrating. Do you know any other families on the bus? Does your son have some friends on there who could tell you what they saw/heard? I am sure being a school bus driver is not easy - my kids tell me some of the things that go on - on their bus - sometimes the driver will yell at the naughty ones but has never not let them off. If things get too bad they report it too the school. Also - even if you son did call him an idiot I don't see how that justifies keeping him on the bus. I mean if I call someone an idiot and they beat me up - I kind of instigated it but pretty sure they can still be charged with assault. Hope you get to a resolution you are satisfied with.

We are still working with the board office and should hear back from them today. We let it go over the weekend and didn't talk about it just so we could have fun. I have been telling my self "Dude he is 11 and called you an idiot and how old are you acting" and the other "Really Nick you only had 1 day after this to be on the bus with him couldn't we just not said anything". My could could have done something much worse. Still not saying he was right but this was way over the line for this.

My son is still sticking to his guns that the bus was stopped for him to get off when he called the driver an idiot and then was told to go sit down. He did tell everything he said. He told the bus driver as he went to get off "At least i am not an idiot like you" The driver asked if he called him an idiot and my son said yes. Hopefully after today this will be all over.

This is my problem. I do not do well if I am rushed. This is something that I need to work on.

I will take a shot at this. I have been wanting to but I am so nervous about it.

We do not have nay animals. We have a small house and 2 kids to clean up after. A pet might just put me over the edge.

After the crazy end to the week the weekend went pretty good. Saturday my daughter had her pageant and dance recital. She did not will at the pageant. It is a reverse raffle so nothing big. She rocked it at the dance recital though. After the recital we went out to dinner again for like the 3rd day in a row. Then on Sunday we were home all day and then went to dinner with my family for my nephews birthday and graduation. So day 4 eating out. Monday we were off of work for the holiday. We packed the kids up for the week and drove to my in-laws. They are keeping the kids for the week. They live about an hour or so from us. On the way home my husband and I were trying to figure out dinner. Neither one of wanted to eat out. We were so over eating out. We ended up having turkey burgers for dinner. It was our first night without the kids and we catch up our shows on the DVR and go to be by 9:30. I am getting so old. Tonight we will go for a walk though. This a great time for us to get our workouts in.

@piglet1979 and @HappyGrape thank you very much to the two of you for volunteering to host June!

Yes, thank you both! and also thank you, Flossbolna for hosting May!!!

Well, I am ending May overweight, just as I'd hoped! Yay!

No real progress from my last check-in, still hovering around the same 2-lb range... but it's below the "obese" line, so I'll take it! YAY!!!

Considering that on Saturday we traded DD9 in for a new 10-year-old, I'm happy to have not gained. While I did not cut myself a slice of her cheesecake, I *MIGHT* have finished off her slice and some that was stuck to the cake board. And while I ordered well at her birthday, there *MIGHT* have been some things that leapt from her plate into my mouth before I could defend myself... they were following the bread that had forced itself upon me. Then, with our trip less than a month away and school letting out next week, I am scrambling to get things done, and have not been getting "intentional" exercise in. (I'm doing SOME walking, just with all the running around, but not like I need to...)

I *DID* send the leftovers home with my sister, though. I'm proud of that. The official story was the last piece of cake was for my nephew, who couldn't join us, and the dinner leftovers were for my niece, who likes them... but really, it was about keeping the temptation out of the house!

Final report from me

Average calories per day 2169

Average daily deficit 406

Weekly workouts – 5

Daily steps 18500 average

Could I have done better and still be happy?

Exercise, no! This is my maximum and honestly I wish that I got some more downtime. The weather was good and we were very active as family too. My workouts in the gym are working well

Food…probably. In reality I won’t be walking like this every month, and definitely not in the winter. Meaning my daily burn won’t be as high. I would like to see my average around the 2000 mark, enough to fuel my workouts but not too much to rely on high step count.

I give myself 80% on food, 100 on exercises (actually I really exceeded it!) and overall 90% of my goals achieved

Thanks to @flossybolna for hosting this months challenge

May check-in... it was a bust. I'll give myself 10% for effort and call it a month.

Gee it's Woohoo Wednesday already, isn't it? Let's see, yesterday I got a lot of work done, so I'm feeling pretty good about getting things properly wrapped up before I head out. Today's appointments are for hair color (taking a long lunch break as my salon is here downtown), and then tonight I have my pedicure, and it will be nice to sit and relax and get pampered. Not a lot to do to get ready for the beach, just general housekeeping stuff. Tomorrow's appointments are for my Juvederm touch up (no more crabby face) and then to see my new doctor, which I'm actually really looking forward to. I'm not driving to the beach, my sister is, so I'll have plenty of time to knit on the socks I want to take to the retreat... I just need to sneak over and hide her Harry Chapin CD before we leave because my ears hurt just thinking about going thru that torture again. :scared:

Happy Wednesday everyone... make it a woohoo-able one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!