Discover the Wild (and Healthy) Side!! – WISH May Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

Flossbolna

Sea days are just so relaxing!
Welcome to the WISH Board healthy living and weight loss challenge for May!

We are going to go on a tour through Disney's Animal Kingdom this month!

DSC06177-1.jpg

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.

— Michael D. Eisner, April 22, 1998

We will travel through all the existing lands of the park and then later this month we will get to experience the newest land that will open at the end of May! During our tour we will find lots of topics to inspire us on our own journey towards a healthier self!

Everyone is welcome to join, whether this the first time you stumble across this thread or whether you have been here before, we are happy to have you. Don't feel shy, say hello and join in!

How does it work?

You set yourself a goal of what you want to achieve during May. Whether it is a weight loss goal, an exercise goal, getting more sleep, drinking more water, that's up to you. You are responsible for tracking your progress and post it once a week (between Friday and Monday) and I will then collect all the progress reports on Mondays to see how everyone is doing.

I will be your safari guide for the month and take you on our tour with daily questions to spark some discussion. But feel free to talk about any topic that you want to address.

So, come and grab a seat and we will start the safari tomorrow!!

Last edited:

Thank you for hosting @Flossbolna! I really don't know much about the parks so I'm looking forward to this.

I'm Ivy, married with one 13 yo daughter. I'm not in great shape but consider myself a work-in-progress. My goal for this month is 60 running miles and 40 biking miles.

I have many happy memories at the Animal Kingdom! It was our Favorited park first trip

I am 38, mother of one, wife, working in large multinational company. My role recently changed and now I have a lot more work to do, and all of it is new for me. I am also slightly out of my comfort zone as I was expert and my previous role and I am not n this one.

I lost 13 kg year ago. The good news I kept 9 off. The bad I regained 4 and I this is above my threshold of tolerance and I want to lose the weight before in the next two months.

This month my commitments to my health and fitness are

I won't go over my daily calories. Not even one day
I will walk at least 15000 steps each day
I will do my minimalistic training weights (15 minutes daily)
3500 calories deficit weekly goal

I feel good about it!

I'm here! Thanks for saving me a seat! How appropriate to have an Animal Kingdom theme, as Pandora is opening later this month and I'm sure there will be a LOT of focus on DAK!

I'm in the last few minutes of an online shift right now, then I must dash around and get myself dressed and out the door for work. Not sure what/where they have me scheduled, as the office staff member who was supposed to be off all week changed her plans. Kind of sad I miss out on subbing in my favorite spot (the office), but glad to have the work, regardless.

I'm PROMISING to come back tonight to get my month off on the right foot here! Have a great May Day!.........P

May 1

Let the Adventure Begin!!

DSC06095.jpg

We are starting our adventure with Minnie and Mickey as they get ready for their own adventure. They are good at making sure that they have everything they need as you could see in the old opening show:

So, what do we need for our Adventure? Any good adventure should of course have a goal and a plan to reach this goal! So, what are yours? Tell us a little about yourself, what you want achieve and how you plan to get there.

I'm in for May, wait it's May already? My goals for the month are going to be simple:

1. Lose 8 pounds
2. Get my step counts back up to an average of 10,000 per day

All in all it was a nice weekend. I got a lot out of the Heart of Health class I took Saturday. She did several breathing exercises, including one where you clear your stuffy nose... I can only remember half of it though, so I need to shoot her off an email to get the entire thing. I really liked the doctor who co-led the class, so will be setting up an appointment with her soon. Saturday afternoon I was finally able to get the grass in the front yard mowed and it looks so much better. Sunday was my Sister's birthday, so I took her to dinner and to go see Beauty and the Beast, which we really enjoyed. I'm totally going to make myself some pantaloons, like Belle was wearing.

I booked my airfare to the crafting retreat, now I'm working on the November trip to WDW. I'll be sharing a room for five days, which really helps on the cost, then will add a few days on to the end, so it is going to be a longer trip which will be nice and relaxing.

Nice theme @Flossbolna - looking forward to the tour!

edited to add: Airfare and hotel is booked for November!

Last edited:
I'm in again as well. I've got to get my head back in the game! My name is Becky and long term I'm still trying to get into a healthy lifestyle and lost some of the weight I need to lose to get there. Last year, I lost 30 pounds and then let me mind start playing tricks on myself, and I gained about half of it back. This month is a new beginning!! I've got 2.5 months until our summer family vacation and I'm ready to be below what I was last year when we left for our summer vacation!

My goal this month is to lose 8 pounds. That's just 2 pounds a week.

I'm planning on tracking everything in My Fitness Pal because I know that works for me. I also need to start making better plans for my lunches. I'd think my worst problem would be with family dinners, but I'm pretty good at serving a decent main course along with salad and other veggies. My main problem is with my lunches. I work close to home, so I go home for lunch and if I don't have a plan, I just graze and don't really eat anything healthy and often I don't even eat anything that is like a meal. It's really awful! I need to pull up what I ate last year when I was doing well. I think I'll do that today before my lunch! Get some ideas back and start that way.

I also plan to start getting more intentional walking in. I need to make a plan to walk sometime after work. Not sure if I'll aim for before or after supper each night, but I'm going to get it started!

Thanks for letting me join in again!

Hi all! I'm in for May as well. Stepping up my working out game this month. I want to do a minimum of 12 classes this month. I am hoping beyond hope that this brings the scale down to about 5 lbs, but I'm trying not to focus on that since I am building muscles I've never had before Haha!

I am Melanie, SAHM with 5 kids. I am a runner and have lost about 40lbs since I have taken it up. For May I'm not going to have a big goal, I just want to maintain. I have a half this Sunday and I am going for a PR. Afterwards I will be taking a 2 week rest. I will be on a cruise for some of those days, so I don't want to set unreal expectations for myself.

oh I can't resist sharing few pictures form our first WDW trip in 2013!

My son was 6 and we were celebrating 10th year anniversary! DS was soooo cute with his Mickey hat, and while taking pictures with goofy and pluto the cast member asked us if we would like to participate in the parade! I have hidden my husbands face as he doesn't want to share his pics. That's us on the float! It was cool, we went backstage and we met all the characters. I wouldn't do it again (the parade is not on anymore anyway, but I found it very... awkward to wave and smile to people. However it was magical day and memory I treasure.

jakey_zpsqbwuhutz.png

1a830697-3d1b-4bc0-853d-d7ef2af55468_zpsaex7wyqv.png

ecc2752f-64ec-4eb0-aab6-3240c4e4ac81_zpskenntbrb.jpg

May 1

Let the Adventure Begin!!

We are starting our adventure with Minnie and Mickey as they get ready for their own adventure. They are good at making sure that they have everything they need as you could see in the old opening show:

So, what do we need for our Adventure? Any good adventure should of course have a goal and a plan to reach this goal! So, what are yours? Tell us a little about yourself, what you want achieve and how you plan to get there.

Well.... my goal for May is to get one pound under goal by May 17, my 25th wedding anniversary. Getting there will mean some real dedication to watching every SmartPoint AND being super careful about my carbs.

Longer distance goals.... get back below goal and STAY there..... and my exercise/activity level needs to increase to make that happen..... I know that.

Phew..... I promised to make it back her and I did! Time to get back to WW prep time! And my dinner was delicious, but I am really hungry again! Guess it wasn't enough, so I need to double check my available SmartPoints and choose a hefty snack!..........P

May 2

The Oasis

Top5DAK-08.jpg

Once we have entered the park, we first get into the Oasis. The Oasis offers us our first escape from the reality of the world outside the park boundaries. It puts us in touch with nature and sets the scene for the rest of the day. The Oasis is designed as a contrast between the manmade environment outside the park and designed to appear as natural as possible. The paths are winding, the architecture is formed by the foliage, the handrails are made from natural materials and there are plenty of animals to discover around every corner.

What new discoveries do you want to make this month? Is there any path that looks inviting and you would like to try? What do you want to leave behind?

Hi. I'm in. Thanks for organizing this.

I'm in the midst of trying to lose weight and train for a 5k at the end of June. I'm very overweight now. I do track my food on my fitness pal and have done so off and on for years.

My goal for May is to get back to some of my healthier habits:
  • Get 10,000 steps per day
  • Complete my runs 3 times per week
My next Disney trip is in early September, but I have a cruise coming up in mid -July

What new discoveries do you want to make this month? Is there any path that looks inviting and you would like to try? What do you want to leave behind?

What I want to leave behind - worrying and excessive internet use. It's not directly related to health but I tend to start researching things to avoid feelings and end up skipping gym. Example - out of comfort zone for the new job in work. Instead of confessing I am feeling anxious about it, I over research hotels for upcoming trip and skipping walking or gym.

What I want to find ... simplicity. It doesn't sound like a weight and fitness goal but I over complicate workouts and plans and while I have nailed the food portion I need to find simple sustainable and flexible working out routine.

Excellent, thought provoking questions

I did awesome yesterday, happy about how it went

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter