Disabled Adult eat kids menu oop?

Raven01

Proud Momma to DD
I did a quick search but did not see this answer.

Grandpa was in an accident and simply can’t eat a full adult portion. He is wheelchair bound and partially paralyzed, and a picky eater to boot.

We will not have the dining plan and will pay out of pocket. In a place like California Grill, will they let him order off the kids menu?

Would they let him share a plate with Grandma?

What about a buffet, like Liberty Tree Tavern? I‘m assuming no adjustments but wanted to check.

I am also assuming also that he can order a kids meal at any QS and it will not matter - the issue is only table service restaurants.

He won’t spend the money if he can’t handle the adult portion. He would just be stubborn and not eat, and I have to have a plan. I don’t want to be stuck with Quick Service for every meal for the rest of my life!

So...the good news is that he will be able to order off the kids menu pretty much anywhere with no issues at all :) . I have had trips where I exclusively order off the kids menu at TS just because the potions are so big anyway at WDW, and it has never, ever been an issue as long as we are paying out of pocket. There is a small chance that some restaurants that are not Disney-owned (for example, Via Napoli, Disney Springs locations, etc.) will not allow it, but I have never had an issue with it at these places either. Sharing is equally not a problem and is often encouraged due to the portion size. I will add additional gratuity in these cases so as to not penalize the server for my ordering choices, but that’s a personal decision.

Buffets that are character meals will charge the full adult price no matter what. You are mostly paying for entertainment there.

He can order off the a la carte menu at LTT and does not have to get the buffet as it is not a character meal.

...He can order off the a la carte menu at LTT and does not have to get the buffet as it is not a character meal.
But only for the lunch meal, not the dinner meal. Dinner is AYCTE for everyone.

In the places that won't let him order off the kids menu, he should be able to just order an appetizer or 2.

I have never been told I couldn’t order off of a kids menu. We do it a lot. Buffets are different. But all the other places. Never an issue.

The only places you will run into an issue in my experience are all you care to eat type places, you are going to have to pay an adult price for him just for being there. Dinner shows also fall into this category. Regular restaurant, do what you like.

Sharing meals is never an issue either. When my kids were young, we would order them an adult meal to split. The servers were always nice and even had them already on separate plates when they brought them out.

This is great! I thought it might be an issue in a place like California Grill. He likes kid food better (tacos are classified as adventurous for him), but since he can’t eat a ton anyway there is no way he will pay for an adult meal.

What about Be Our Guest at dinner. Can I share an adult meal with my 11 year old daughter?

We haven't been there since the change over to signature dining.

Yes, he can share almost everywhere.
No at any (not just character) buffet, family style, all you care to eat, dinner shows, and (if on a Dining Plan) Via Napoli.

Most likely yes regarding kid meals, but over the years I've seen a couple of places refuse. Couldn't tell you where, though.

What experience am I paying for? There are no characters at this meal and it's not all you can eat? Just curious. Thanks.
be Out Guest changed their dinner to a prix fix e meal, everyone pays. Your 11 year old daughter is a "Disney adult". You will pay an adult price for her. You get to meet the Beast in his library after your dinner.

If you would like Be Our Guest is currently a quick service meal at breakfast and lunvh. You would be able to share food then. No Beast or other characters. You will need a reservatipn, even though it is quick service.

What about Be Our Guest at dinner. Can I share an adult meal with my 11 year old daughter?

We haven't been there since the change over to signature dining.

What experience am I paying for? There are no characters at this meal and it's not all you can eat? Just curious. Thanks.

Based on the overwhelming popularity of BOG, the restaurant, itself, became the experience. Be Our Guest dinner became a prix fixe meal after years of many guests making dinner ADRs and only ordering desserts to get inside to see the restaurant and meet the Beast. WDW got wise to this and turned it into a prix fixe meal where all guests are now paying a set price for a 3 course meal. As PP mentioned, the Beast makes an appearance at the meal and you can do a meet and greet and get your photo with him, so, that adds to the experience as well. As with other WDW prix-fixe, buffet, family-style and AYCTE restaurants, you will be charged the full price for every guest at BOG dinner. If you'd like to go to BOG, but not pay the big dinner price tag, you could try lunch or breakfast instead and share as much or as little as you'd like. The Beast will not be there during those meals, however.

Thanks for all the responses for BOG. We have eaten dinner there many times prior to the change but not any more - I guess.

I will cancel our Thanksgiving dinner.

He can order off the a la carte menu at LTT and does not have to get the buffet as it is not a character meal.

It's not a buffet. It's a sit-down meal served family style. A la carte is also only available at lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter