Disable Iphone for non use during Cruise

huffjoann

DIS Veteran
I am pretty new to Iphone world so I want to make sure I know what to do with my phone when we cruise in a few weeks so I don't get hit with international roaming.
Basically once we leave Port Caneveral I want all my data and calls to be turned off until we get back. I would like to use the camera on it a bit though. Thru settings I see I can turn off what looks like data/email? but what about phone? I don't really want any calls coming in either. :surfweb:

All you need to do is go I to settings and turn on airplane mode. That stops all data/phone functionality. You can still however use the camera and iPod.

Settings > Airplane Mode > On
Settings > WiFi > Off (should happen automatically when you do the first.)

You will not be able to go online, get or send texts, get or send email, or make or receive phone calls.

You will still be able to use your camera and other apps, but nothing that connects online.

- Dreams

To turn off 3G, cellular data, and data roaming: go to settings>General>network

from there, you can turn off your data roaming (it says to turn off when traveling to avoid extra charges), and turning off cellular data restricts all email and web to wi-fi.

I hope this helps :)

perfect! thanks!
I am afraid when I switch it back after 4 days it will be beeping forever with all the stored stuff, LOL

perfect! thanks!
I am afraid when I switch it back after 4 days it will be beeping forever with all the stored stuff, LOL

I was worried about the same but amazingly people didn't text or call much while I was away! I used airplane mode and used my iphone 4x exclusively, it was so nice! I was lucky and traveling with someone who didn't mine carrying her dSLR around so she got deemed official photographer.

By the way if your cruise sails to the US Virgin Islands (I.E St. Thomas & St. Maarten) and you have AT&T their are no international charges on your Iphone while in port- it's just like using your phone while at home here in the States.

Might be a good time to upload some of those pictures and send some emails. :)

By the way if your cruise sails to the US Virgin Islands (I.E St. Thomas & St. Maarten) and you have AT&T their are no international charges on your Iphone while in port- it's just like using your phone while at home here in the States.

Really? We're on eastern Caribbean going to both St Thomas and Maarten and have AT&T iPhones. Think we can use them safely?

I have an iPhone 4S and simply turned my phone to airplane mode and that worked just fine during our last 2 cruises (Mexican Riviera and Western Caribbean). No extra charges either time.

St Maarten is NOT a USVI!! It is Dutch and French. Do NOT use your cell phone there without international roaming.

Really? We're on eastern Caribbean going to both St Thomas and Maarten and have AT&T iPhones. Think we can use them safely?

In St Thomas yes. It is a US territory and your US plan will cover you there.

St Maarten is NOT a USVI!! It is Dutch and French. Do NOT use your cell phone there without international roaming.

In St Thomas yes. It is a US territory and your US plan will cover you there.

Exactly. I was JUST going to post this.

Settings > Airplane Mode > On
Settings > WiFi > Off (should happen automatically when you do the first.)

You will not be able to go online, get or send texts, get or send email, or make or receive phone calls.

You will still be able to use your camera and other apps, but nothing that connects online.

- Dreams

To turn off 3G, cellular data, and data roaming: go to settings>General>network

from there, you can turn off your data roaming (it says to turn off when traveling to avoid extra charges), and turning off cellular data restricts all email and web to wi-fi.

I hope this helps :)
There is some contradiction in the advice! I will be in Europe and don't want to use the phone or data, but my DH says I will want to use wi-fi, when available. So, which is right - leave wi-fi on or turn it off?

There is some contradiction in the advice! I will be in Europe and don't want to use the phone or data, but my DH says I will want to use wi-fi, when available. So, which is right - leave wi-fi on or turn it off?

You can leave wi-fi on. What you need to turn off is data. There are no charges for wi-fi from your carrier. So if you find a place with free wi-fi you can turn it on and hook up to their wi-fi for free.

Now, I would leave the wi-fi turned off when you are not using the phone to save the battery. If you have it wi-fi turned on the phone will pretty much always be searching for a signal and that will drain the battery faster.

And you can use wi-fi in airplane mode.

You can leave wi-fi on. What you need to turn off is data. There are no charges for wi-fi from your carrier. So if you find a place with free wi-fi you can turn it on and hook up to their wi-fi for free.

Now, I would leave the wi-fi turned off when you are not using the phone to save the battery. If you have it wi-fi turned on the phone will pretty much always be searching for a signal and that will drain the battery faster.

And you can use wi-fi in airplane mode.

Thank you! Will leaving the phone turned off, except when I want to use wi-fi, have the same battery-saving effect as having wi-fi turned off?

Thank you! Will leaving the phone turned off, except when I want to use wi-fi, have the same battery-saving effect as having wi-fi turned off?

With my phone turning data, GPS or wi-fi on and off is the touch of one button so I just turn those on and off as needed. Leaving your phone off would conserve energy but it may be time consuming. If takes a few minutes for my phone to be functional when I turn it on. I have a Samsung droid, your phone may be faster. I would hate to see a place that had wi-fi, try to pop in to use it and it takes several minutes for my phone to come up.

With my phone turning data, GPS or wi-fi on and off is the touch of one button so I just turn those on and off as needed. Leaving your phone off would conserve energy but it may be time consuming. If takes a few minutes for my phone to be functional when I turn it on. I have a Samsung droid, your phone may be faster. I would hate to see a place that had wi-fi, try to pop in to use it and it takes several minutes for my phone to come up.

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!