Dis Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale Germany Trip 9/20 - 9/28/2013

Starting to think about what to do after our Adventure and we think we might take the train from Munich to Salzberg, Austria.

It's about 90 minutes by train and the rates seem reasonable.

We want to climb every mountain......

I have a total visual of the Do-re-mi song with DISers instead of the Von Trapp family. Thanks for the Monday morning chuckle!:)

Laurie

Hi everyone! Today at noon the 2012 Wies'n (the local name for the Oktoberfest - it means meadow as it takes place on an area that used to be a meadow outside the city and still is called Theresienwiese - Teresa's meadow - today) started.

Therefore the media here is full with reports about it and I thought since you will be in Munich for Oktoberfest 2013 you might be interested in some links.

The first is an article from the English language section of Germany's largest online news website "Spiegel online":

http://www.spiegel.de/international...re-beer-swilling-at-oktoberfest-a-857213.html

And the second one is a short video (I hope you can access it from the US) of the mayor of Munich tapping the first keg today at 12 noon which marks the official start. No beer is sold before that ritual. The current mayor has been in office for a number of years, so he is already very skilled in the art of keg tapping and he only needed two strikes which is considered an achievement! ;)

http://www.br.de/fernsehen/bayerisches-fernsehen/import/audiovideo/ozapftis-100.html

Oh - and he says "O'zapft is" which is Bavarian for "Angezapft ist es" and that translates into "It is tapped".

Hope you enjoy these!

..Thanks for the video , but really !! no beer is sold before that ritual.. You mean for the hour before or for the day or for the week before ?/:rotfl2:

My dad used to sing a little drinking song .. I can't remember it now but if I heard it I would remember all of the words.. Of course it was in German .. maybe you know of a video of drinking songs .

I think your mayor is very skilled as I thought that he did the tapping in ONE !
I'm going to keep the Spiegel site handy .. Thank you for your posts.

Starting to think about what to do after our Adventure and we think we might take the train from Munich to Salzberg, Austria.

It's about 90 minutes by train and the rates seem reasonable.

We want to climb every mountain......

I thought Salzburg was beautiful. I was there for a work meeting. We did the Sound of Music tour as a group. It was a little cheesy but I loved it.

The hotel we stayed in had the Sound of Music on a loop and it was the only English channel on the TV. I admit I have not watched the movie since that trip in 2009.

Photos from this year's Octoberfest!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/22/europe/gallery/oktoberfest-beer-festival/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

This looks amazing:thumbsup2

There is even a tuba photo.

You're playing my song!!

120922045344-10-oktoberfest-0922-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

I liked the Oktoberfest Mickey Ears!

120924020243-04-oktoberfest-0924-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

It looks like Lufthansa's website will allow for booking of flights for our travel dates sometime this week!

Jason

This is where I'm learning the art of PATIENCE - which I have very little of. :bitelip:

Flights are now available to book through Lufthansa. As an example on pricing, non-stop from Newark-Frankfurt and Munich-Newark:

Approximately $1100 for economy, $4000 for business, $11,000 for first class. The price for economy is not bad (the majority of the ticket price comes from taxes), I think I might book sometime this weekend.

Jason

What are you saying?:rolleyes1

Because I know at least 2, if not 3, people were all ready thinking it. :rotfl2:

I am starting to get excited!! I had a dream about sitting in first class on Air France and playing in a Polka Band and having all the French snarl at me.

545425_3701100442231_1672005393_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter