Dis Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale Germany Trip 9/20 - 9/28/2013

We are going to try and get flights on one of the new "Dreamliners..."

2012united787.jpg

United Airlines Announces First 787 International Routes

INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS WILL START IN JANUARY 2013 ON UNITED'S BOEING 787 DREAMLINER
CHICAGO, Aug. 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the first international routes for the airline's newest addition to its fleet, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. In addition to the previously-announced service from its Denver hub to Tokyo Narita, starting March 31, 2013, the airline will operate nonstop 787 service five days a week between its Houston hub and Lagos, Nigeria, beginning Jan. 7, 2013. United will also operate daily, nonstop 787 service between its Los Angeles hub and its Narita hub, beginning Jan. 3, 2013, and Los Angeles to Shanghai, beginning March 30, 2013.

United will also operate daily, nonstop 787 service from its Houston hub to Amsterdam and London Heathrow on a temporary basis. Houston to Amsterdam service begins Dec. 4, 2012, and Houston to London Heathrow service begins Feb. 4, 2013.

"The 787 is the right aircraft for these routes because of its many passenger-friendly amenities and superior operating economics," says United's Senior Vice President of Network, Greg Hart. "With 50 787s on order, we look forward to the many new route opportunities that will become available to United and our customers in the future."

The 787 aircraft will display for sale for these routes on united.com and other distribution channels beginning Aug. 25, while Denver to Narita service is available for sale now. In the near future, United will announce plans for initial domestic flying for the 787, which will precede the launch of international flights described above.

Configured with 36 seats in United BusinessFirst, 72 seats in United Economy Plus and 111 seats in United Economy, the Dreamliner will revolutionize the flying experience for United customers and crews while delivering unprecedented operating efficiency, comfort and lower emissions. Customers will experience greater comfort with improved lighting, bigger windows, larger overhead bins, lower cabin altitude and enhanced ventilation systems, among other passenger-friendly features.

Recent photos of United's first 787 aircraft are available for download in the media center on unitedcontinentalholdings.com under "First 787 Production Flight."

There is a season?
Hunting season for tubas? :confused3

Yes, Jeff, in my experience, trombones are used as ballistic missiles.

We are going to try and get flights on one of the new "Dreamliners..."

Mike continues to prove he is an uber geek (which needs no translation). ( I can say this because I am one.)

castle perched high above the Edersee
translated: the Teutonic Tower of Terror.

I was going to stay out of this thread but I just couldn't.

Hallo, ich kann nicht glauben, dass wir nach Deutschland gehen. No I haven't gotten the German down yet .. I did the cliff notes version and used a translator.. so in English its..
(Hello I can't believe that we are going to Germany) , John and I are so excited about this trip too but it's really our traveling family that we are so excited to see again.
Of all the places that we have traveled to and loved .... This one is mine!!:thumbsup2. While one half of me is Irish and I wouldn't give that up... the other wonderful half ( Can't tell you what John calls it:rolleyes1 ) is German and I AM SO EXCITED. My fathers family comes from Seligenstadt which is only 22 minutes from Frankfurt... however it's an hour from Heidelberg which is our first stop from the airport.. I'm gonna have to figure something out to get there. Well as Jim said ...at least I have 12 months to think about it. :hourglass.

Maybe between now and the trip I can get to Epcot and really stop at the Germany pavilion pixiedust:and not just pass it by. :rotfl:

:wave2:

Hi everyone!

While I won't come along on your trip, I decided to come here to offer any help, advice or info you might want. I am a DISer and podcast listener from Germany and was very excited to hear that the DIS is going to travel to Germany when the trip was first announced on the podcast. A little while ago, I contacted Kevin and he suggested that I should come here - so that's what I am doing now! :goodvibes

I live in Nuremberg in Bavaria (about 100 miles north of Munich), but I went to university in Munich and used to work in Frankfurt, so I am very familiar with a lot of the places you are going to visit during your travels - as well as with both airports in Munich and Frankfurt (they are the two big hubs for air travel in Germany).

If you have any questions about anything specific to Germany - be it travel, customs, food, drink, financial issues or whatever else - please ask, I will try my best to help! :thumbsup2

Magdalene

Hallo, ich kann nicht glauben, dass wir nach Deutschland gehen. No I haven't gotten the German down yet .. I did the cliff notes version and used a translator.. so in English its..
(Hello I can't believe that we are going to Germany) , John and I are so excited about this trip too but it's really our traveling family that we are so excited to see again.
Of all the places that we have traveled to and loved .... This one is mine!!:thumbsup2. While one half of me is Irish and I wouldn't give that up... the other wonderful half ( Can't tell you what John calls it:rolleyes1 ) is German and I AM SO EXCITED. My fathers family comes from Seligenstadt which is only 22 minutes from Frankfurt... however it's an hour from Heidelberg which is our first stop from the airport.. I'm gonna have to figure something out to get there. Well as Jim said ...at least I have 12 months to think about it. :hourglass.

Maybe between now and the trip I can get to Epcot and really stop at the Germany pavilion pixiedust:and not just pass it by. :rotfl:

:wave2:

:wave2: Hi Micki! So glad you and John will be on the adventure! My mom's family is from Eisenach, which is about 1.5 hours by train from Frankfurt. So I think we will probably go check it out. But, we have 12 months to figure it out!

Hi everyone!

While I won't come along on your trip, I decided to come here to offer any help, advice or info you might want. I am a DISer and podcast listener from Germany and was very excited to hear that the DIS is going to travel to Germany when the trip was first announced on the podcast. A little while ago, I contacted Kevin and he suggested that I should come here - so that's what I am doing now! :goodvibes

I live in Nuremberg in Bavaria (about 100 miles north of Munich), but I went to university in Munich and used to work in Frankfurt, so I am very familiar with a lot of the places you are going to visit during your travels - as well as with both airports in Munich and Frankfurt (they are the two big hubs for air travel in Germany).

If you have any questions about anything specific to Germany - be it travel, customs, food, drink, financial issues or whatever else - please ask, I will try my best to help! :thumbsup2

Magdalene

Thanks so much Magdalene! I will be sending you a PM soon. My mom's family is from Eisenach which isn't far from Nuremberg, and I need a little advice on a couple of things if you don't mind. :goodvibes

Hi everyone! Today at noon the 2012 Wies'n (the local name for the Oktoberfest - it means meadow as it takes place on an area that used to be a meadow outside the city and still is called Theresienwiese - Teresa's meadow - today) started.

Therefore the media here is full with reports about it and I thought since you will be in Munich for Oktoberfest 2013 you might be interested in some links.

The first is an article from the English language section of Germany's largest online news website "Spiegel online":

http://www.spiegel.de/international...re-beer-swilling-at-oktoberfest-a-857213.html

And the second one is a short video (I hope you can access it from the US) of the mayor of Munich tapping the first keg today at 12 noon which marks the official start. No beer is sold before that ritual. The current mayor has been in office for a number of years, so he is already very skilled in the art of keg tapping and he only needed two strikes which is considered an achievement! ;)

http://www.br.de/fernsehen/bayerisches-fernsehen/import/audiovideo/ozapftis-100.html

Oh - and he says "O'zapft is" which is Bavarian for "Angezapft ist es" and that translates into "It is tapped".

Hope you enjoy these!

Hi everyone! Today at noon the 2012 Wies'n (the local name for the Oktoberfest - it means meadow as it takes place on an area that used to be a meadow outside the city and still is called Theresienwiese - Teresa's meadow - today) started.

Therefore the media here is full with reports about it and I thought since you will be in Munich for Oktoberfest 2013 you might be interested in some links.

The first is an article from the English language section of Germany's largest online news website "Spiegel online":

http://www.spiegel.de/international...re-beer-swilling-at-oktoberfest-a-857213.html

And the second one is a short video (I hope you can access it from the US) of the mayor of Munich tapping the first keg today at 12 noon which marks the official start. No beer is sold before that ritual. The current mayor has been in office for a number of years, so he is already very skilled in the art of keg tapping and he only needed two strikes which is considered an achievement! ;)

http://www.br.de/fernsehen/bayerisches-fernsehen/import/audiovideo/ozapftis-100.html

Oh - and he says "O'zapft is" which is Bavarian for "Angezapft ist es" and that translates into "It is tapped".

Hope you enjoy these!

Thank you for posting the link to the article and video! Very interesting!

Jason

Starting to think about what to do after our Adventure and we think we might take the train from Munich to Salzberg, Austria.

It's about 90 minutes by train and the rates seem reasonable.

We want to climb every mountain......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter