DIS DVC 1000 Point Club (post #1 updated 02/10/2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We purchased 50 direct VGF points about a month ago at $245. But 1 week later I cancelled and received my deposit back (although my C/C charged me $750. because in effect I bought and then sold U.S. dollars). But I'm still reluctant to buy resale even with the $70 or $80 or even $90 savings per point. Gotta get over this phobia.
I think that would be helpful. I will say this, I have never owned a direct point and have had wonderful interactions with DVC CMs when I call. And yes, they have many times gone out of their way to help me with point reconfiguration and a missed banking deadline here or there. It might help to remember that while the DVC higher ups might frown at us lowly resale buyers, the front line CMs you are dealing with are regular folks with the same (or even greater) financial constraints as the rest of us. They understand the value in saving money and I don't think they judge us for saving money by buying resale.

In the end, do what makes you happy and what you feel comfortable with. But I oftentimes find that some of the worst decisions I make are those made out of fear.

That is so funny - I think Add-on-itis is a real disease... Even so I bought a very large contract resale. I am constantly out on the sites looking for the next "deal" and would plan to use the new points to rent to fully cover all MC and over time payback my investment (would take about 23-30 years) - assuming I hold until expiration - I have not done the detailed math on it yet. I decided to wait:
#1 - See how easy it is for us to get other resorts at 7- months: If it is hard maybe get a resale at another favorite. but so far I have gotten what I wanted (GCV over Thanksgiving, Boardwalk for F&W).
#2 - Wait to see if the economy has a rough patch (hopefully not for a long time) and consider it. Of course if the economy goes bad - renting points becomes more difficult - so doubt that may be a "smart" plan, but there is a theory more folks would rent vs buy (similar to the housing market).
#3 - If I bought now, my wife (who introduced me to DW) - would probably divorce me

I don’t want to go off topic here

But I just heard about this tread on toady DVC show I we are on the edge of buying into DVC just waiting for my wife to go back off of maternity leave.

I was just thinking if you have this many point and are you annual fee like. When we buy in for us right now we are looking at around 250 point mark for that amount I know what the annual fee will be for those who have lets say 2000 point and your at AKL that is 6.7 per point so your annual fee is over $13,000 is that correct. Unless you are renting some out to cove that cost that seems like a lot to be paying for fee. I just know the more points you have the more you pay in fee.

But I just heard about this tread on toady DVC show I we are on the edge of buying into DVC just waiting for my wife to go back off of maternity leave.

I was just thinking if you have this many point and are you annual fee like. When we buy in for us right now we are looking at around 250 point mark for that amount I know what the annual fee will be for those who have lets say 2000 point and your at AKL that is 6.7 per point so your annual fee is over $13,000 is that correct. Unless you are renting some out to cove that cost that seems like a lot to be paying for fee. I just know the more points you have the more you pay in fee.

We use what we want and rent out the rest. It works for us.

It is a valid point as it is a lot of money for MF per year, after reading many posts as to why people buy - everyone has a different story for purchasing and how they plan to use and for the most part no one is wrong - it works for them and that is great it may not work for everyone - that is why DVC is powerful.

For us, we had been talking about a 2nd house, but then I started to do some math on it - and it would cost us at least 3-4 times what it cost to buy 1300 DVC Points to get a house my wife would like. Maintenance + Monthly Utilities on the 2nd house in Texas (high property taxes) - would be close to 20K per year (assuming no mortgage). I can get between 6-10 weeks in a single bedroom a year with DVC depending upon many factors (We love going to HH and the Beach - so looking forward to trying both DVC resorts) - for 8K in maintenance fees. And I will still have plenty to leverage AirBnB to visit other places that we want to stay or visit our kids. It will increase our flexibility in retirement and take maintaining a 2nd house headache away from us. We are 50 (purchased DVC at 48), we are 5-7 years away from retirement and 4 years from having both kids out of college, until then most years we will rent half the point to pay for the MF. I bet if you ask everyone on this list, each person will have a reason on why 1000+ works for them. But to be honest in my 20's or 30's this many points would have been too much - and not sure we could have afforded to do this. But thanks to some planning, saving, and 2 very good jobs, we are financially secure enough to pay cash to buy the points, and pay MF without it impacting us, but happy to rent when we want. I won't add points until after we retire and see how it all works out for us - but if we enjoy this freedom I could see us getting up to 2000-3000 points - especially as my extended family retires and may want to join us more so we might need 2/3 BR (We have 6 brothers and a sister - who live up north - so I have a feeling they will love to come to Florida in the winter).

Probably more information than is needed, but just wanted to provide my thoughts as to why large points could work for some in particular cases and the flexibility for DVC to be flexible to work for each as everyone will be different.

It is a valid point as it is a lot of money for MF per year, after reading many posts as to why people buy - everyone has a different story for purchasing and how they plan to use and for the most part no one is wrong - it works for them and that is great it may not work for everyone - that is why DVC is powerful.

For us, we had been talking about a 2nd house, but then I started to do some math on it - and it would cost us at least 3-4 times what it cost to buy 1300 DVC Points to get a house my wife would like. Maintenance + Monthly Utilities on the 2nd house in Texas (high property taxes) - would be close to 20K per year (assuming no mortgage). I can get between 6-10 weeks in a single bedroom a year with DVC depending upon many factors (We love going to HH and the Beach - so looking forward to trying both DVC resorts) - for 8K in maintenance fees. And I will still have plenty to leverage AirBnB to visit other places that we want to stay or visit our kids. It will increase our flexibility in retirement and take maintaining a 2nd house headache away from us. We are 50 (purchased DVC at 48), we are 5-7 years away from retirement and 4 years from having both kids out of college, until then most years we will rent half the point to pay for the MF. I bet if you ask everyone on this list, each person will have a reason on why 1000+ works for them. But to be honest in my 20's or 30's this many points would have been too much - and not sure we could have afforded to do this. But thanks to some planning, saving, and 2 very good jobs, we are financially secure enough to pay cash to buy the points, and pay MF without it impacting us, but happy to rent when we want. I won't add points until after we retire and see how it all works out for us - but if we enjoy this freedom I could see us getting up to 2000-3000 points - especially as my extended family retires and may want to join us more so we might need 2/3 BR (We have 6 brothers and a sister - who live up north - so I have a feeling they will love to come to Florida in the winter).

Probably more information than is needed, but just wanted to provide my thoughts as to why large points could work for some in particular cases and the flexibility for DVC to be flexible to work for each as everyone will be different.

What do you mean property taxes are high in Texas?!? :sad:

Seriously though. They are painful. :crutches: It’s their pound of flesh since we don’t have state or local income taxes. :faint:

What do you mean property taxes are high in Texas?!? :sad:

Seriously though. They are painful. :crutches: It’s their pound of flesh since we don’t have state or local income taxes. :faint:
In IL we have state, local, and one of the highest property taxes in the country. I was just commenting to Dh wondering how people can afford the maintenance fees on 1000+ points and decided that most must not pay much property tax. If our property tax was lower we could definitely afford it!

Maybe some day. ;)

Similar situation here. We had bought our points to use DVC as a vacation home once we retired. It seemed like an easier way to deal with the maintenance, etc, especially since we don't live in the US. Funny thing was that I was only retired for a couple of months when I got offered another job which I really enjoy, so who knows when I will retire again. So right now we are doing shorter trips, 3-4 weeks a year only and renting out the extra points.

New 1K member here - our current total is 1538 points, split between AUL, SSR and BLT. Please add me to the list :)

Congratulations :) Have been on extended Route 66 drive holiday. Will update list next week.

6/2 Updated now!

Last edited:
YAY!!!
We finally went over 1000 - just added 204 points at Riviera, bringing our total to 1060 points (and importantly, making our total a more rounded number - 856 points was driving me nuts!) :banana:

Welcome and Congratulations :)

We hit 1160 points with the RIV add-on of 175 points. We’ll be going down to 1010 points once we sell our BWV contract in the fall. I don’t know if I should be excited to hit 1000 points or in therapy for my Disney addiction...:scratchin

Welcome and Congratulations :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter