DIS DVC 1000 Point Club (post #1 updated 02/10/2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
YAY!!!
We finally went over 1000 - just added 204 points at Riviera, bringing our total to 1060 points (and importantly, making our total a more rounded number - 856 points was driving me nuts!) :banana:

eta: and a math exercise for anyone interested in the pricing: 200 points at Riviera is $37,600 ($188 x 200pts). With the current incentive of $4200 (through April 30) on 200pts, the total is $33,400. So the comes to $167 per point ($33,400 divided by 200pts). While I would have preferred adding more BWV:cloud9:, Riviera comes in at a price per point good enough to take notice (dues are somewhat higher, but it appears the legacy resorts will be getting closer).

Last edited:
YAY!!!
We finally went over 1000 - just added 204 points at Riviera, bringing our total to 1060 points (and importantly, making our total a more rounded number - 856 points was driving me nuts!) :banana:
I'm guessing another 40 points would make you feel even better: 1100 total?

I have a weird total and it drives me nuts, too! Congratulations.

I find this thread interesting. :coffee: When we got to 1000 points on June 29, 2010 (!) I remember there were around 52 people on the list. Now there are 115. I am sure some of the people on the list no longer hold the points, but are not on the DIS Boards anymore to update it. So it is probably slightly outdated. Still...there are double the number of people who hold a lot of points! Plus “point inflation,” both in terms of the cost per point, MF per point, as well as the sheer number of points needed to do anything, makes DVC a MUCH more expensive proposition. What do you think accounts for this? A better economy? Increased awareness of DVC? More people on the DIS? A shift in holiday spending from “second homes” to DVC? :confused3 Anyway, I find it interesting!

I'm guessing another 40 points would make you feel even better: 1100 total?

I have a weird total and it drives me nuts, too! Congratulations.
why? do you think that would be b...….now, that's just MEAN!! ;)

we actually started with 240 BWV, and lasted a while before adding 60 BCV prebuild just to even it out.
The odd number was from a 306pt resale - I never realized how strong my OCD tendencies were until buying that one! :hyper:

The odd number was from a 306pt resale - I never realized how strong my OCD tendencies were until buying that one! :hyper:
And you might pass along that same weirdly unsettled feeling someday should you decide to release the 204 DRR. :crazy: , right?

We hit 1160 points with the RIV add-on of 175 points. We’ll be going down to 1010 points once we sell our BWV contract in the fall. I don’t know if I should be excited to hit 1000 points or in therapy for my Disney addiction...:scratchin
Ok, I now know who to go to to rent some BLT points!!! Congrats!

I think we need to keep this all in perspective.

Whether you have 75 points or 5000, we all are in an exclusive club.

With six billion people on this planet, only a very minuscule percent has the means to purchase even the most base contract.

So stand up and cheer people about first world problems.

So bravo to us all for letting a mouse talk us out of so much money :smickey:

I find this thread interesting. :coffee: When we got to 1000 points on June 29, 2010 (!) I remember there were around 52 people on the list. Now there are 115. I am sure some of the people on the list no longer hold the points, but are not on the DIS Boards anymore to update it. So it is probably slightly outdated. Still...there are double the number of people who hold a lot of points! Plus “point inflation,” both in terms of the cost per point, MF per point, as well as the sheer number of points needed to do anything, makes DVC a MUCH more expensive proposition. What do you think accounts for this? A better economy? Increased awareness of DVC? More people on the DIS? A shift in holiday spending from “second homes” to DVC? :confused3 Anyway, I find it interesting!

First like you said the economy is really good. Harder to get in on the 7th month window. I imagine a lot of them rent out some points. Myself i only have 555 points.

We hit 1160 points with the RIV add-on of 175 points. We’ll be going down to 1010 points once we sell our BWV contract in the fall. I don’t know if I should be excited to hit 1000 points or in therapy for my Disney addiction...:scratchin
I hope more people do as you are... I'm seriously considering a BCV or BWV contract now with how they've priced Riviera!

We purchased our first resale contract just over a year ago - 1291 Points at VGF and then followed that with a 75 Point Direct purchase at CC - for a total of 1366 points. It was more points that we needed (we normally go every 2-3 years), but the price per point was so good on a large contract that we went with it. We are almost 50, a few years from retirement - but our plan is to rent about 600 points per year to cover MF + AP - and use the rest. After we retire, will stop renting points - and use it as a pseudo 2nd house to visit HH, VB, Aulani, as well as DW. Since these expire in 2064/2068 - will give to our 2 daughters to guarantee they will always be able to afford a visit to Disney with Grandkids - as going to DW has been a big part of growing up.

What surprised me is after getting that many points - we ended up using it more often - Within the 2 years of purchasing - we would have gone to Epcot/SS (celebrate a 21st birthday), spent Thanksgiving Week at VGC/DL, Boardwalk for F&W, and VGF for Marathon Week (just running 10K with my daughter).

It's funny, I've been reading this thread for years and never put myself in the "club"..we are at 1030 pts. currently. When we first joined in 2008 we never ever would have expected to be where we are at now. The thing is, we still consider DVC to be one of the best purchases we have ever made. I just think everyone decides differently what's important and what they want to spend their money on. We will probably never update our kitchen to granite countertops and the like, will continue to drive our cars until they die, won't be building a bigger deck, etc. but that is more than okay with us! We've done the math on this many times, and where we live many people have vacation homes in the mountains or on the Cape, and we have likely spent roughly what they have. Granted, we have to fly to our destination and aren't there as often, but Disney World is what makes us happy and is where we want to be. :)

I have 1165 total - about 1/2 resale and rest direct...

The majority of our points are resale. We didn’t own any direct points until a few weeks ago.

I just have this crazy feeling that I'll be "looked at" differently. I have this crazy fear that I'll be treated differently and maybe won't get some special favours that I sometimes need with banked pants, or borrowed points or who knows what. I also have this crazy notion that my points will be somewhat tainted if I put some resale points in my account. I really don't plan on using our points for anything other than DVC resorts so cruises or trading out is not an issue. Also, when I pass the points on, I want a blue card to go with them.

I just have this crazy feeling that I'll be "looked at" differently. I have this crazy fear that I'll be treated differently and maybe won't get some special favours that I sometimes need with banked pants, or borrowed points or who knows what. I also have this crazy notion that my points will be somewhat tainted if I put some resale points in my account. I really don't plan on using our points for anything other than DVC resorts so cruises or trading out is not an issue. Also, when I pass the points on, I want a blue card to go with them.

Then DVC marketing has done it's job! ;)

I have never had a single thing ever said to me about resale ownership. But if I did it won't bother me and I'd probably laugh and tell them that the savings matter more. I've gotten things taken care of that needed to be taken care of. And if you have points split up that you can get some of the direct points to each of your heirs then what the remainder is won't matter. With my mix I don't even think of where the points came from as I use them although in fact if I had to apply an emotion to any of them I'd have more love for my resale. They get me the same rooms as the direct and cost me a bunch less - what's not to love?! And we do have a couple of contracts that have restrictions although not the most recent restrictions but those would not make me shy away from resale.

We purchased 50 direct VGF points about a month ago at $245. But 1 week later I cancelled and received my deposit back (although my C/C charged me $750. because in effect I bought and then sold U.S. dollars). But I'm still reluctant to buy resale even with the $70 or $80 or even $90 savings per point. Gotta get over this phobia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter