Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Now all booked too. Arriving into Rome via Sydney, Bangkok and Dubai at lunch time on the 21st,

Home from Venice via Vienna, Monaco, Dubai and Hong Kong :cool2:. I am flying out of Venice on the 3rd at 10:55am - if anyone is looking to share a water taxi let me know.

Don't be too concerned by the seat map you can see online as an indicator of availability - I just had a look at that delta flight and it's pretty wide open - just a whole lot of the seats at the front of economy are reserved for potential status passengers (seats not tickets)

For example here is the seat map for that delta flight JFK-FCO 21 March 2018 that I can see ($+ is comfort plus, P is seating reserved for high status passengers) - even seats showing as taken possibly aren't, and the P seats aren't sold they are just there to ensure if a high status passenger books they can get a "good" seat

IMG_0035.jpg

I also wouldn't get too hung up about changing planes in Europe - in fact when flying from Europe to the US I would always take a European connection to a non stop flight to where I was going in the US over a non stop flight from Europe to a US connection point.

As it stands right now, Alitalia is in bad shape financially. They are looking to sell the airline.
Since they are the flagship line for Italy, I doubt they will go under completely.
That being said, I wouldn't plan a future flight on that airline at this time personally
I remember back in the late 80's my parents went on a cruise to Jamaica out of Florida and flew Eastern Airlines to get there. Eastern went under while they were out to sea. They said that at the airport they were assisted onto other airlines to get them home and didn't have to pay more out of pocket. Not sure how that would work today or overseas!

So I am a delta FF member and fly them often. I like their transatlantic and transpacific product. Last time I did the DIS ABD to Italy and Switzerland, I was on an Alitalia JFK-Milan and FCO-JFK code share. Technically they are a joint venture. The difference is some flights are operated by delta and some by Alitalia. The Alitalia product is better than Delta's. However, that was after they got an infusion of $$ from Ethiad and redid their plans and services. Now they are heading under water. I imagine the Italian government won't let them completely go under but their product might change. I also think, that if Delta has a code share with them and they no longer fly it, Delta would replace the flight. I guess based on everyone's reply I might have to start pricing. If you are going to the Dis party I'll see you there.

Half of our group just booked those flights out/in of JFK -- that plane is going to be full of us. :-)

I will miss those direct fares from JFK. Sigh. My one stop from San Diego is much pricier

Just booked our nonstops both ways! From JFK. So cheap, too. So happy. :) Delta 444 on 3/21 and 475 on 3/31. $686. :thumbsup2 Wow!!

Half of our group just booked those flights out/in of JFK -- that plane is going to be full of us. :-)

Trying to convince the wife to leave on the 21st instead of the 22nd so we can get on that flight as well. That direct flight is cheaper than the ones with one stop on the 22nd (though, then we have the cost of another hotel night, food, etc.)

Trying to convince the wife to leave on the 21st instead of the 22nd so we can get on that flight as well. That direct flight is cheaper than the ones with one stop on the 22nd (though, then we have the cost of another hotel night, food, etc.)

I hear you. My husband had to talk me into this one. It is hard enough to leave our girls for one extra day as well. It's a lot since we have to rely on neighbors to babysit them until my mom can come get them. The hotel is negligible. This fare is so much cheaper and we upgraded to the premium Comfort or whatever they call it. It just made most sense. Plus the times were ideal.

I hear you. My husband had to talk me into this one. It is hard enough to leave our girls for one extra day as well. It's a lot since we have to rely on neighbors to babysit them until my mom can come get them. The hotel is negligible. This fare is so much cheaper and we upgraded to the premium Comfort or whatever they call it. It just made most sense. Plus the times were ideal.

Yeah, the times are perfect - the big thing is with our kids - another day the inlaws would watch them and another day they would be out of school. We'll see - my wife wants to see if they add a Delta (non Alitalia flight for the 22nd) if not my argument gets stronger :D

We have a long, long time before this trip. I wouldn't rush to book a flight.
If you are looking to use frequent flyer miles to book or upgrade, sooner is better. Inventories are limited and often sell out. I'm in the throes of trying to book with an economy to business class upgrade on United and finding it is not a lot of fun. I'm ready to call United and see if they can do it over the phone. Ugh. Must be bad if I am willing to resort to talking to a customer service rep on the phone.

If you are looking to use frequent flyer miles to book or upgrade, sooner is better. Inventories are limited and often sell out. I'm in the throes of trying to book with an economy to business class upgrade on United and finding it is not a lot of fun. I'm ready to call United and see if they can do it over the phone. Ugh. Must be bad if I am willing to resort to talking to a customer service rep on the phone.

I did this with Delta. I found the flights I wanted and then called customer service. They were able to process all flights (have to connect as I am west coast) except one which they quickly suggested a different flight for. It worked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter