DIS Con 2022 details! >>> Schedule Update-Page 15

Although Danielle offers many compelling contexts to the decision to move forward, and with respect to her, the only known communication from the convention cited safety as the number one priority, whether because it was most publicly palatable reason or because it was indeed the primary reason.
Only convention staff/executives are aware whether a termination clause or release of liability was met when Thursday load-in (receiving use of premises) was going to be severely impacted or unusable entirely. If I wanted to play the lotto, I put chips on what Danielle is describing as the primary reason(s) to move forward with the con, rather than attendee safety and experience. As always, I welcome any communication from the convention to correct this impression. I feel it's better to be simply transparent than sugarcoat to the point of being unbelievably saccharine.

All that said, I continue to want all the best for the village, because ultimately it's the families who benefit by utilizing the village and who miss uplifting experiences when village resources aren't available. I hope there's some life-gives-ya-lemons "lemonade" to be shared. :lovestruc

Insane. How can they refuse a refund when a state of emergency is in effect for the entire region? Even if you could get there somehow, you shouldn’t. I am very disappointed with how they’re handling this. I’m glad we already got a full refund.

Thing is how much has it cost them, that they might not be able to recoup? Disney in the end might give back 100% for the venue and other fees, but they could still be out tens of thousand of dollars spent on setting up this event.

Really they ought to be transparent on what it's cost them, and why a full refund isn't possible. But ticket holders have to accept they bear some of the risk in supporting something like this as well.

Thing is how much has it cost them, that they might not be able to recoup? Disney in the end might give back 100% for the venue and other fees, but they could still be out tens of thousand of dollars spent on setting up this event.

Really they ought to be transparent on what it's cost them, and why a full refund isn't possible. But ticket holders have to accept they bear some of the risk in supporting something like this as well.
I know all the guests weren’t charging an appearance fee and just donating their time for the event

Ugh…glad you got your accommodations sorted out. Its all a mess. Everyone is doing their best to accommodate, given the situation, but this has just been a mess. I had a dreaded Thursday check in situation of my own. I was able to get it resolved and we now have a Friday check in at OKW. I also have a check out on Sunday and will miss half of the Con. Honestly, I have no desire to push my flight until Monday and am just hoping my flight gets out on Sunday.

As it stands, I am still at the Swan (who have been lovely) and am due to check in at OKW tomorrow. Who knows when parks or transportation will actually open. This makes for a bit of a tricky situation with our scooters, but we’ll figure that out when the time comes. Hoping that we are at least able to attend the event on Saturday evening. Just a whole series of unfortunate events…and yes, I wish this all had been rescheduled but what’s done is done

Like you I have a scooter for long walks. I was going to use Marriott points and book a room at The Dolphin for Tues and Wed but decided against it. I would still have to pay $80 a night for the resort fee and parking. I'm looking at other Marriott and Hilton properties.

I am still planning on being at the top of the tower on Friday night if anyone wants to join me.

Insane. How can they refuse a refund when a state of emergency is in effect for the entire region? Even if you could get there somehow, you shouldn’t. I am very disappointed with how they’re handling this. I’m glad we already got a full refund.

In FL, all a "State of Emergency" does is open up financial resources and relax some laws and rules, like allowing the governor to waive tolls on toll roads. It doesn't close anything down, roads are still open, the national guard is activated if needed, and it's easier to move things around the state for recovery operations. Any closures are the responsibility of county and local governments. Even still, no one says "You can't drive on a road." It's only recommended that you stay off the roads.

Like you I have a scooter for long walks. I was going to use Marriott points and book a room at The Dolphin for Tues and Wed but decided against it. I would still have to pay $80 a night for the resort fee and parking. I'm looking at other Marriott and Hilton properties.

I am still planning on being at the top of the tower on Friday night if anyone wants to join me.
Just fyi..the Swan has waived their resort fee for now. They are unable to provide housekeeping, so that was their offer in its place. Not sure if it affects your decision or not, but wanted to let you know

Just fyi..the Swan has waived their resort fee for now. They are unable to provide housekeeping, so that was their offer in its place. Not sure if it affects your decision or not, but wanted to let you know

In FL, all a "State of Emergency" does is open up financial resources and relax some laws and rules, like allowing the governor to waive tolls on toll roads. It doesn't close anything down, roads are still open, the national guard is activated if needed, and it's easier to move things around the state for recovery operations. Any closures are the responsibility of county and local governments. Even still, no one says "You can't drive on a road." It's only recommended that you stay off the roads.

Disney is opening the Theme Parks on Friday... in a "phased approach". That said they are also extending their cancelation policy through Thursday of next week, but not sure that applies to conferences fees.

Disney is opening the Theme Parks on Friday... in a "phased approach". That said they are also extending their cancelation policy through Thursday of next week, but not sure that applies to conferences fees.
It makes sense to reopen the resort as soon as possible as there are already thousands of guests onsite. But moving forward with an event that requires hundreds of people to travel in from around the country is very different. Several of our friends who were supposed to go have cancelled because, like everyone else, they have no way to get there. I just checked and the first flight out of Atlantic City isn’t until Sunday.

Inside info tells me they have decided to postpone the event. Official word should come soon.
Even though I’m here, I’m honestly fine with that. Would miss half of it anyway due to leaving Sunday, and at this point….I just want to be in one of the parks to smile before I leave❤️

Even though I’m here, I’m honestly fine with that. Would miss half of it anyway due to leaving Sunday, and at this point….I just want to be in one of the parks to smile before I leave❤️
We actually didn’t have park tickets for our trip. We wouldn’t have been in a park at all except at the last minute we bought party tickets when they offered the 50% off deal.

If we weren’t AP holders, our decision to come down would probably have been very different. It was kinda our “Plan B” if anything got cancelled. Just hoping I can get some Plan B in before we leave. Don’t honestly even care which park it will be. Although Epcot on the actual 40th would be lovely❤️
We actually didn’t have park tickets for our trip. We wouldn’t have been in a park at all except at the last minute we bought party tickets when they offered the 50% off deal.

I think they’ve backed themselves into a corner at this point. The time to cancel the event was a couple of days ago. If they cancel now they’re going to have a lot of angry folks. I’m really shocked how tone deaf they’re being about this.
I'm just really curious as to why, with the second and third weeks of September being the historical peak for hurricane season, they chose this weekend for the event. I get that later in the year you have a busy convention and holiday season, so there may be a discount for holding it in the fall, but there's always the spring and early summer as well. Also, there's a really good chance it will be hotter than the face of the sun, (and again that might mean fewer crowds in the parks and potentially lower hotel rates as a trade-off). Just seems like a gamble to schedule during the time of year with the greatest chance for a weather event.

Last edited:
DIS Con is officially postponed.

We regret to inform you that with Florida in a state of emergency due to Hurricane Ian – and with many of our talent unable to participate due to flight cancellations – the two-day convention portion of DIS Con 2022 at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort has been postponed. The event will be rescheduled to February or March 2023, and updated information will be shared as soon as possible.

All convention tickets will be refunded on October 7. If you would like to convert your ticket to a donation to Give Kids The World to make wishes come true for critically ill children and their families, please contact us at events@gktw.org prior to October 7, and a donation receipt will be provided.

Please note that the After Hours Party at EPCOT on Saturday, October 1, will take place as scheduled. Tickets are still available and can be purchased on the event details page.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your understanding as we navigate this challenging situation. We hope to see you at a future event sometime soon. Thank you for supporting Give Kids The World.

Hello, friends. The following update about DIS Con was just sent to ticketed guests. I wanted to be sure to post it here as well just in case you didn't get the email.

We regret to inform you that with Florida in a state of emergency due to Hurricane Ian – and with many of our talent unable to participate due to flight cancellations – the two-day convention portion of DIS Con 2022 at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort has been postponed. The event will be rescheduled to February or March 2023, and updated information will be shared as soon as possible.

All convention tickets will be refunded on October 7. If you would like to convert your ticket to a donation to Give Kids The World to make wishes come true for critically ill children and their families, please contact us at events@gktw.org prior to October 7, and a donation receipt will be provided.

Please note that the After Hours Party at EPCOT on Saturday, October 1, will take place as scheduled. Tickets are still available and can be purchased on the event details page.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your understanding as we navigate this challenging situation. We hope to see you at a future event sometime soon.

Thank you for supporting Give Kids The World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter