Direct Purchase Member Benefits to Disappear?

JWhiz

Mouseketeer
Stayed at BWV over the weekend for the first time. Wasn’t as crazy about it as I am my other home resorts. Made me contemplate selling the contract, but it could create an interesting dilemma. I purchased my first contract resale (not at BWV). Less than a year later I purchased a small 25 point contract at BWV. I wanted home resort priority in the Epcot area but mostly I wanted to have full DVC member benefits. This was when 25 direct points were enough to receive full benefits.

Subsequent to that, the perks rule increased to 75 points and I bought a 35 contract direct at BLT. Because I was grandfathered in, the 75 point amount did not apply to me.

So, what happens if I sell my BWV contract? Do I lose the member perks even though I would still have 35 points purchased direct? Once you’re a full DVC member, can you ever lose your perks without selling all of your contracts? Or at least all direct contracts? Will the 75 point direct amount apply to me if I sell the 25 point contract that got me the perks in the first place? It’s an odd situation but given that I don’t love BWV, I may want to sell.

Any thoughts or experience?

Last edited:
Yes you will lose your direct perks if you sell the 25pt BWV contract. Your BLT contract qualifies towards the total but you will have to purchase an additional 40 direct points to get to a total of 75 points.

Sounds like a huge amount of effort by the time you pay selling costs etc. If you have use for the AP discount I would just keep the BWV contract. Good luck.

Yes you will lose your direct perks if you sell the 25pt BWV contract. Your BLT contract qualifies towards the total but you will have to purchase an additional 40 direct points to get to a total of 75 points.

Sounds like a huge amount of effort by the time you pay selling costs etc. If you have use for the AP discount I would just keep the BWV contract. Good luck.
I agree. Best just to keep your 25 point contract.

You may be grandfathered in for both resorts as long as you had enough points at the time to get the direct perks. I'd contact MS to get the best answer.

I think you are ok. I had 200 direct points at BCV. We bought 25 at WL-BR. Literally a week later, they announced the new 75 point policy.

We then sold the 200 at BCV. We used THAT $$ to buy back in, 200 at WL-BR. The sale and purchase closed about 2-3 weeks apart. For those couple of weeks, we only owned the 25. But we retained our status of having DVC perks. This was our plan all along, to "switch" our home resort from BCV to WL BR. Even with buying the 25 direct points, we broke even, and came out ahead (because the one we sold was stripped and the one we bought was loaded with banked points).

The answer is you'd lose the perks if the 35 point contract was purchased after 75 point minimum was announced. The contracts are coded as to which qualification period they apply to.

Keep in mind that the requirement is 75 direct *total*, not necessarily on one contract. Thus you could sell the 25 and buy 40 direct at a different resort you'd prefer, and that would give you the 75 to qualify for the blue card and all its magical powers.

Thanks everyone for your help. Yeah, the risk of losing the benefits is almost certainly not worth it to me. And while I appreciate the scenario of selling and then buying 40 more, or vice versa, not sure I would do that (i.e., buy 15 more points to retain something I already have). Unless I really get excited about adding at a new resort! :-)

So, what happens if I sell my BWV contract? Do I lose the member perks even though I would still have 35 points purchased direct? Once you’re a full DVC member, can you ever lose your perks without selling all of your contracts?
I would think you would lose your perks. So with that you could just hold onto the 25 points contract - rent out those points for a little cash or go on the rental/transfer board to put out for possible transfer. There are probably a lot of members out there who only need a small amount of points to complete reservations BUT most people looking to do a transfer only want to transfer out a larger amount of points. There could be a market out there if you don't need those points.

I am in a situation where i have perks with an AKV resale contract, but want to really buy a poly resale contract. To avoid losing the perks i plan to just rent out the AK points which will just help to cover MF and if i need the points they will be there for my use too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!