Dinner review of the Flying Fish

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Our last night at the World and we had 6:00 ADR's for the Flying Fish. Since I had been somewhat "under the weather" for a large part of the week, I was really looking forward to dinner here. We've been going to the FF on a semi-regular basis since they first opened-- it's one of our favorite WDW spots.
We were seated promptly upon our arrival at 5:50 PM and as we passed the open kitchen, I took a nice, long look at all the wonderful food cooking over the oak wood grill. Nice way to whet the appetite!! Fortunately this evening we got a table about mid-way in the restaurant--avoiding the dred Cabana Room where we had been deposited a few meals back.
Mrs U ordered her usual glass of wine and I ordered a Bass Ale from their somewhat lacking beer list. For appetizers, I selected Wild Caught Gulf Shrimp Cocktail, while Mrs U got the Peeky Toe Crabcakes. Now I can't really tell the difference between a wild caught shrimp and a tame one. But these were reasonably good sized and pretty good. AS AN APPETIZER--the crabcakes are also pretty good. Nothing like the real genuine Md. crabcake of course, but "tasty-sweet" nonetheless and accompanied by Flying Fish slaw.
For my entree, I chose the Oak Grilled Atlantic Salmon. Something about that Oak fire in the kitchen had captured my attention and this sounded good. It was served with spinach, fennel, and butter emulsion. A nice piece of fish--but I thought it somewhat bland. I'm not sure Oak grilling fish (without some sort of marinade or sauce) is the best way to go. It was good--but dry. Mrs U did much better with their signature Potato Wrapped Red Snapper. Not the largest piece of fish I'd ever seen for $34.00, but GOOD!!!The red wine butter sauce just makes this dish!! My salmon could have used some:) :)
While I'm on "signature dishes" at FF, I should mention their famous steak. A char-crusted NY strip, with "sauce foyot". Now I didn't get this, but the fellow at the next table did. It came out covered in sauce foyot, such that he couldn't see the steak!! He looked perplexed, and asked his wife how he would eat the steak when he couldn't see the fat. He was almost going to send it back. Turns out he needn't have worried--he took one tentative bite, then before you knew it, the entire steak was GONE!! He told me it was one of the best steaks he'd ever had..
Desserts were good that evening-I had the trio of house made sorbets (Green Apple, pineapple, raspberry) and Mrs U had Warm Chocolate gallette, served with raspberrys. Mine was perfectly light and a good way to finish off a heavy meal. Her's looked a bit heavy, but the portion wasn't overly large and she finished it all.
The restaurant wasn't terribly busy when we got there, but by the time we left at 7:30, it was quite full. The dress code was not enforced, and there were a fair # of children in the restaurant.
All in all-a very good dinner!!

Thanks for a great review Uncleromulus. We'll be dining at the Flying Fish on Saturday night, 6/23 and we are looking forward to it. It was one of our two best meals on our trip last year (along with the California Grill).

Argh! FLying Fish was one of the ressies I was really looking forward to for our Fall trip. I was out-voted on it tho. I'm still trying to figure out a way to reclaim a spot for it...

Great review. I always look forward to reading your thoughts, UR.

Did they ask you for a temperature on the salmon? FF is one of the most consistent restaurants on WDW IMO.

Thanks for the review:thumbsup2 We loved everything we ordered, especially the crabcake & that snapper was so good!

I'm curious though about why you don't like the Cabana Room? We were seated at a table tucked in the back corner there on our last visit & loved it! It was so much quieter than the main dining area & we had very good service.

Thanks for the review. We have only ate at FF once and we really enjoyed it. We will be dining there for the 2nd time in December.

Jarrdisney: Actually they did not ask the temperature. Many places will tell you up front that a fish is cooked "rare" or "medium"--but not this night at FF. My fish was done at least medium--which is how I prefer it. It was good salmon--it just lacked flavor (such as the Maple Glaze they use at Artist Point, or the Firecracker Salmon I used to get at Sum Chows, or the choice of sauces at Blue Zoo). I guess I could have been more clear in the review. The fish wasn't overcooked dry--it was lacking sauce dry. Maybe a better description would be just like putting the salmon on your BBQ grill, taking it off, and just eating it that way. Plain.
Shovan:
Our last meal at the Cabana Room we had a table up against the back wall. I had the wall view. I could see absolutely nothing of the restaurant. Was sort of like eating in my basement:) True enough though that it is relatively quiet back there.

Uncleromulus, Thanks for the reply. Our meal was the last night of our trip, everyone starting to get worn out, so I guess a quiet sedate meal was just what we needed!

Thanks for your review! I'm with MrsU; I love the salmon and always get it. I could lick the sauce off the plate!

I was curious what it's like to sit in the Cabana room but apparently we're not missing anything. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter