Dinner at home reception??

alauniira

A faerie's heart beats fierce and free!
Hi. We want to have a reception at home when we get home from our WDW wedding. We are paying for everything ourselves and are on a tight budget because we have 2 small children. We are paying for dinner at WDW after our ceremony for our guests. Is is tacky to just have a appetizer/drink reception back at home or should we have a sit down dinner. We were thinking just appetizers, open bar, and a DJ. During the reception we will have video of our WDW wedding playing. What did you do and what do you think?

The nice thing about at-home receptions after a destination wedding is that it can be as fancy or as laid back as you desire. I have been to super fancy ones, all the way down to a BBQ in someone's backyard as an "open house" type gathering.

If the money is too tight, I think you should do what fits your budget, no need to break the bank for it. What you suggested sounds great and comfortable for your guests to mingle and enjoy themselves and the newlyweds!

Good Luck!:thumbsup2

I don't think doing just hors d'ourves is tacky at all! If budget is really tight, I might even skip the open bar and just do wine and beer or something... maybe a "signature cocktail" that goes with your theme as well, but not necessarily a full bar. It's totally up to you and what makes you feel comfortable!

We're not doing a Disney Wedding (too many family members who want to come but can't travel that far) but we're doing a wedding here in Northern VA where we live, and doing two mostly casual semi-receptions, one in each city we grew up (Rochester, NY for me and Hampton, VA for him). These will be kind of "backyard barbeque" like, or maybe a picnic in a park in Rochester because I don't know if our backyard could handle everyone. In any case, casual food/munchies, and some sort of easy dessert (maybe even cookies) will be the rule. It's more about celebrating with family and friends than serving a 5-course meal.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

How would I do the invitation so that people know not to expect a meal. Our families are big drinkers so I definately at least want the open bar, and we want to have a cake up here too. As for appetizers, I am not sure, but would you just have them in the begining spaced out for a little while. I am sorry for so many questions, but I am having a really hard time with this. I also need to find a place that will let me just to this type of reception.

Hi!

Label the invitation "cocktail reception or party" celebrating your marriage. Make sure to include a cheese table and vegies and fruit...I love these displays during cocktails.

ETA: How about looking into a local hall...fire house, women's club, VFW,...I have been to some halls that are really nice and then you have the ones that are pretty bad but if you look you may luck out...HTH!

Congrats!!!:)

Another ETA! Space the appies out a bit...maybe 1 1/2 hours and then have a dessert table and cake and coffee...coctail parties are usually a shorter affair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter