dinner at downtown disney when spending day at magic kingdom? is this doable?

LHM2001

Earning My Ears
How long does it take to get from MK to downtown disney? is it reasonable to go to MK, then go to downtown disney for dinner - then go back to MK? or would it be better to leave MK, go to downtown disney for dinner and then go to hollywood studios?

I really can't wrap my head around this whole disneyworld thing!! there's so much!! (first timer!)

If you have a car it is doable.

If you take Disney a bus you have to go to a resort first in both directions, if i am correct there are no direct buses from the parks to downtown.
Add 45 plus minutes each way to get to MK by bus.

Also, it depends on your dinner time and the closing time on that day.

the closest resort with a bus to DD is the CR - you can walk to it. problem is after CR the bus stops at Polyn and GF before it leaves to go to DD - so it can take an hour.

that say might take the bus to SSR and get off at congress park and walk to DD.

now do these only if you don't have a car.

JMHO, but I wouldn't do it, especially since its your first time.

Total travel time will take a couple of hours or more (there and back) by Disney transport.

LHM2001 said:
How long does it take to get from MK to downtown disney? is it reasonable to go to MK, then go to downtown disney for dinner - then go back to MK? or would it be better to leave MK, go to downtown disney for dinner and then go to hollywood studios?

I really can't wrap my head around this whole disneyworld thing!! there's so much!! (first timer!)

I wouldn't do that either. If your able to, change your reservation for that day & eat at MK.

Why not try a restaurant at one of the monorail hotels? That will give you the break you are looking for without all the tedious travel.

Definitely try out one of the monorail resorts.

My favs are GF Cafe, Kona at Poly, and the Wave at CR.

Allow an hour for travel. We took a bus to a nearby Dis hotel then went to DTD on bus from the resort. We did the same when we wanted to get from AK to AKL for dinner. We just hopped on the AKL resort bus from the park. From MK the quickest way to have a meal outside of the park is to book one at Kona at the Poly, the GF for tea or supper, the Wave or Chef Mickeys at the Contemp and you can take the monorail or book Trails end at Fort wilderness and take the boat.

The Wave is a good choice - you can walk to the CR in 10 minutes from the MK.....

Anything is possible ... but at what cost?

Time. Time is the most precious commodity on your Disney vacation. A trip back and forth like that without your own car ... would chew up at least an hour in each direction, maybe more. It's just not wise use of your limited Florida time.

Ultimately.. when time is so precious, you may find it more expedient to use your MK day to eat at one of the monorail resort restaurants, and save the DTD restaurant for an evening that the parks are closed earlier.

Always up to you.. but do be cautioned about the travel times.

You might consider taking a boat ride from MK to Wilderness Lodge and eat at WCC. Nice way to get away from the park for a bit.

If you really want to eat at DTD, you could take a boat to POR or POFQ and catch a bus to MK from there.

As you can see, I love the boat transportation!

As others have said, it's time consuming. DTD buses are often intermittent and can be hard to come by. We usually go to DTD on a night after we have spent the day at AK, since AK closes early. If none of the MK restaurants appeal to you, I also agree with trying a monorail resort. Lets you check out a deluxe resort, ride the monorail, and there are plenty of restaurant options if you can get in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!