Dining Wars: Drinking's Edge - An August 2018 Dining Report - Updated 2/18: Completed

Nice review of The Wave! We were impressed with it, too, especially with the value for the price. I'd definitely go back if I were going to be in the MK area anyway. (Otherwise, I'd probably just go to Boma if I were going to make a special trip anyway.)

I'm ashamed to admit that I own a pair of those Mickey slippers that Casey tried on. :sad2:

::yes::

4fb598c7-e28e-4d4f-9e3c-bc63a767b635.jpg
Yuck!

Better! :thumbsup2

:scared1: Nevermind the previous comment... :sad2:

They took my "sharing" literally and split the plate so you are only seeing half of what this should be.
Oh, thank goodness. I was still hungry just imagining having to share that plate :laughing: Though it did look delicious!

Having a little bit left in us and it literally pouring outside we decided to stay for dessert and chose the Cocoa Breach.
I see I need to time my meals better. I've used far worse excuses than waiting out the rain to have dessert :laughing:

Being the only adult and decision maker in our household can get quite exhausting :P
:faint: I bet! :laughing:

I love, love, love (did I say love) what is affectionately known as a Bloody Kari in our household
:rotfl2:

For my first plate I went with the Floridian eggs benedict and cheddar and bacon grits you see in the foreground and some berries, deviled egg, and smoked salmon in the back.
This all looks delicious! We will one day go there for breakfast. It's hard for me to book breakfast because I'd rather sleep in than eat lol. I love deviled eggs, my whole plate would have been full of them.

Unfortunately the deviled egg which had boursin cheese and prosciutto on top was a bit of a fail as the egg had been overcooked.
Oh no! That would have made me sad. And funny you mention boursin cheese, I had never heard of this cheese up until about a week ago when I made a orzo mushroom leek dish with boursin cheese. I went to Publix so confused what cheese I was looking for, but it really made the dish come together.

Yep 5 minutes. So fast I didn't even get a single picture. They shut it down as there was apparently lightening in the area. We waited for about an hour and they still hadn’t opened back up despite us seeing no actual traces of lightening so we decided to head to MK for the afternoon. Side note this became a reoccurring theme for us and the pool. Apparently The Wave was as close to water as we were getting
Ya I think they close the pools if lightning is 15 miles away, so you could possibly not notice any bad weather. I think lightning can strike up to 20 miles away so they are just cautious.

Looks like a yummy breakfast at The Wave! Bummer on your pool plans. I hope you got to spend at least some time in Stormalong Bay--that's half the reason to stay at the BC! Sean and I hit that sucker up every afternoon of our trip :D

I've read a few good reviews of The Wave now. It seems like a solid choice and reasonable price. I would like to try some of the "southern" options that I've never had, like the grits and sausage gravy.

Strangely we escaped without her buying the slippers or anything else
I was not so fortunate since a pair of these ended up coming home with us in August. I do believe they have sat in the corner of her room ever since, quite unworn. :sad2:

I love those sweet potato pancakes, we have been twice and totally agree with you, very good breakfast! Price is great for Disney, love that!

I am a true northern girl, never living below Minneapolis and had grits only 1x years ago and hated them. I really enjoyed the grits at The Wave, so it is saying something!

Okay, now I'm really hungry. The Wave breakfast buffet looks scrumptious! We love wandering around the Contemporary. It brings back wonderful memories of childhood, for me at least.
Hmm, I didn't escape the slippers, though. They followed me home! :-)

IMG_0802.JPG

All caught up with you again and now feeling hungry lol
Casey looks gorgeous (always) in her festive dress . Glad to see she’s doing the sensible thing and celebrating half birthdays as well as whole ones!:rotfl: Love that she managed to get free dessert into the bargain :thumbsup2
We love Flying Fish though I’m not really a fish lover. Their pork belly starter was just delicious as was their steak when I ate there over the summer. I loved their “under the sea”dessert but can’t remember if it’s still on the menu now. Beautiful dining room and really convenient to YC/BC.
I can’t believe they actually put guests in those rooms with all that scaffolding :eek: Seriously at the prices they charge for a room you’d at least expect to see out your window! We always stay on the YC side as they have all full balconies to help us lushes ( ahem responsible parents) enjoy our evening libations minus little children:drinking1 :rotfl::thumbsup2

Last edited:
Lovely view out of your BC room :sad2:. Thanks for the Jaelo "preview". We didn't do WDW this year so hopefully when we next get down it will be open.
Jason's portion of pasta at Flying Fish was pretty lame. I will use your scallop picture as an enticement for DH to give Flying Fish a try.

Just got caught up after getting way behind. Thanks for posting about your meal at Jaleo, I was excited about that one and now I am SUPER excited. Those brussels sprouts will be mine!

That's a crap balcony situation. I don't think I'll ever stay non-DVC at Beach Club because of the balcony situation alone. Must. have. balcony.

After reading your Flying Fish review I seriously regret not making it there on my solo trip. Maybe we will make it there on our next family trip, will have to look at the kid's menu options.

That is a bummer about the pool. That pool is a big draw to that resort.

Breakfast looks great!We aren't a big breakfast family either.
It certainly was a bummer. We did end up going our last day for a bit just so Casey could enjoy it. If you all do stay there in August definitely plan for morning pool time. They seem to be overly cautious on the lightening - at least more so than any other resort we've experienced - so that ate into what is usually afternoon pool time for us.

I love breakfast, but Jason can easily skip it. We went to the Wave, too, but we didn't love it like you. The pancakes were delicious, though.
Sounds like we need to swap Jasons :-)

Man, you aren’t having any luck at the Beach Club! It sucks that if lighting is within 10 miles, they close it down but it’s scary stuff here in Florida as I have seen rogue lightning when the storm is far away.
We certainly weren't. I wanted to love it so much, but it just wasn't in the cards for us. Given what we paid I don't see us getting back there anytime soon or ever :P

Breakfast looks enjoyable! We never did the buffet there - just normal menu ordering when we had breakfast there before.
When we first went there we intended to order off the menu but then when we saw most items we wanted to try were on the buffet we went that route. Thankfully we weren't disappointed :-)

Nice review of The Wave! We were impressed with it, too, especially with the value for the price. I'd definitely go back if I were going to be in the MK area anyway. (Otherwise, I'd probably just go to Boma if I were going to make a special trip anyway.)
Glad to hear you are in the Wave club with me. I liked Boma too, but there is almost too much to pick from. I like simplicity in my choices. Makes said choices so much easier :-)

I'm ashamed to admit that I own a pair of those Mickey slippers that Casey tried on. :sad2:
There should be no shame in your slipper game :D

:scared1: Nevermind the previous comment... :sad2:
:scared1::scared1::scared1: Is right!

Oh, thank goodness. I was still hungry just imagining having to share that plate :laughing: Though it did look delicious!
I learned my lessons with this one to ask for an extra plate for her to make sure they don't split it. She has no problem eating from my plate but doesn't generally want me anywhere near hers :-)

see I need to time my meals better. I've used far worse excuses than waiting out the rain to have dessert :laughing:
Us too!!!!

Chicken Guy is awesome! I was skeptical but it was amazing. We can’t wait to go back
That is great to hear. We did one of his places in California several years ago based on a request from one of our travel mates and it was not good at all. I like his personality on TV, but was sadly disappointed with the food. Maybe chicken guy can redeem him for us :-)

This all looks delicious! We will one day go there for breakfast. It's hard for me to book breakfast because I'd rather sleep in than eat lol. I love deviled eggs, my whole plate would have been full of them.
I'm so there with you. That is primarily why we rarely do it but we ended up eating close to 11 this day and it worked out great.

Oh no! That would have made me sad. And funny you mention boursin cheese, I had never heard of this cheese up until about a week ago when I made a orzo mushroom leek dish with boursin cheese. I went to Publix so confused what cheese I was looking for, but it really made the dish come together.
I always wondered if it was actually a "real" cheese or just some sort of brand. I'm not even entirely sure what it is, but in orzo is likely a better place for it than a deviled egg.

Ya I think they close the pools if lightning is 15 miles away, so you could possibly not notice any bad weather. I think lightning can strike up to 20 miles away so they are just cautious.
I don't ever recall them being as cautious as we encountered here. But it had been a few years since we did a summer trip so maybe by mind is just forgetful :-)

Looks like a yummy breakfast at The Wave! Bummer on your pool plans. I hope you got to spend at least some time in Stormalong Bay--that's half the reason to stay at the BC! Sean and I hit that sucker up every afternoon of our trip :D
Sadly we only made it to the pool for about 45 minutes on the day we left. Every other time we tried it was for minutes before they closed for weather. We certainly would have enjoyed it, though this combined with the room likely soured Jason on it for a while.

I've read a few good reviews of The Wave now. It seems like a solid choice and reasonable price. I would like to try some of the "southern" options that I've never had, like the grits and sausage gravy.
Sold and reasonable pretty much sums it up and is exactly what I want from my breakfast. It would be the perfect place to try some more southern things, though I hear most folks that didn't grow up eating grits tend to not like them.

I was not so fortunate since a pair of these ended up coming home with us in August. I do believe they have sat in the corner of her room ever since, quite unworn. :sad2:
That is exactly where Casey's would be if she got them (and where everything else she's gotten in Disney already is) :P

I love those sweet potato pancakes, we have been twice and totally agree with you, very good breakfast! Price is great for Disney, love that!

I am a true northern girl, never living below Minneapolis and had grits only 1x years ago and hated them. I really enjoyed the grits at The Wave, so it is saying something!
I didn't get a ton of girts growing up (we live in the Northern part of a Southern state if that makes sense) but it was always a special treat when we went to Waffle Houses when traveling or visiting family in Oklahoma/Texas. I'm guessing you don't have those up there?

Okay, now I'm really hungry. The Wave breakfast buffet looks scrumptious! We love wandering around the Contemporary. It brings back wonderful memories of childhood, for me at least.
Hmm, I didn't escape the slippers, though. They followed me home! :-)

View attachment 369298
Wandering the Contemporary brings back tons of memories for me too. It's the first place we stayed when I was a kid and about my only memory from that trip was seeing the electric water parade from our room.

Love the slippers. Don't tell Casey you bought them she'll want me to get her a pair :P

Casey looks gorgeous (always) in her festive dress . Glad to see she’s doing the sensible thing and celebrating half birthdays as well as whole ones!:rotfl: Love that she managed to get free dessert into the bargain :thumbsup2
At this rate she is gonna have us celebrating the 1/4's too before she knows it

We love Flying Fish though I’m not really a fish lover. Their pork belly starter was just delicious as was their steak when I ate there over the summer. I loved their “under the sea”dessert but can’t remember if it’s still on the menu now. Beautiful dining room and really convenient to YC/BC.
We had the pork on our last trip and really enjoyed it too. I'll take seafood over meat any day of the week, but Jason is certainly much more like you. I'm still surprise he actually got a seafood entree.

I can’t believe they actually put guests in those rooms with all that scaffolding :eek: Seriously at the prices they charge for a room you’d at least expect to see out your window! We always stay on the YC side as they have all full balconies to help us lushes ( ahem responsible parents) enjoy our evening libations minus little children:drinking1 :rotfl::thumbsup2
Lesson learned for next time. Though we did have a special rate and a standard view, so I guess you really do get what you pay for.

It is SO gracious of you to take one for the team and get 2 Bloody Kari's to ensure quality. I feel much better knowing that you have my back on these kinds of things. :)
Thank you so much. I really do sacrifice in the name of these trip reports :drinking1

Lovely view out of your BC room :sad2:. Thanks for the Jaelo "preview". We didn't do WDW this year so hopefully when we next get down it will be open.
Jason's portion of pasta at Flying Fish was pretty lame. I will use your scallop picture as an enticement for DH to give Flying Fish a try.
I think Jaelo is supposed to open in early 2019 so you should be in good shape.

Hope the pic works on your hubby. Just be sure to show him 2 so he knows he's getting plenty of food :-)

Just got caught up after getting way behind. Thanks for posting about your meal at Jaleo, I was excited about that one and now I am SUPER excited. Those brussels sprouts will be mine!
I have been so craving those brussel sprouts since we had them. I happen to make some over the weekend and even Casey wanted to know why I didn't make them like Jaleo did :-)

After reading your Flying Fish review I seriously regret not making it there on my solo trip. Maybe we will make it there on our next family trip, will have to look at the kid's menu options.
It definitely would have been a good place to go solo as the bar is perfect for grabbing a bite. But there are lots of kids there too so I'm sure Asher could find something.

Yay Beach Club but boo to that scaffolding

Your FLying Fish dinner looked great.
Dinner was most definitely great. Beach Club, not so much. Will probably be a while before we get back there again. We are definitely Board Walk kinda people.

I really need to check out The Wave for breakfast! Uber/Lyft really opens up possibilities. Love the Mickey slippers!!
You should definitely try it sometime. We pretty much just uber everywhere now and it makes it so convenient. And relatively cheap!

Episode X: A "Quiet" Dinner

After our non-pool pool day we headed to the Magic Kingdom and since we didn’t have fast passes until later we let Casey make the calls on rides. She went for Carousel of Progress, The Pooper (aka the People Mover) and Dumbo. Love her vintage Disney soul.

Somewhere along the way we stopped for an iced coffee for me and some sort of sickening sweet frozen concoction for Casey.

By now our breakfast was wearing off and as we debated where to eat Casey suggested we head to the Wilderness Lodge so we could eat at the “ketchup” restaurant aka Whispering Canyon. She loved the antics here on our last trip and was in the mood for some more. Thankfully getting a reservation was a piece of ketchup, I mean cake :-)

After a nice boat ride to Wilderness Lodge we were quickly seated and soon got in a wilderness kinda mood thanks to some much needed beverages.

That’s a Sprite for Casey.

A Space Dust IPA for Jason.

And a Moose Head for me.

Sorry folks wrong moose.

That’s better or more than likely worse :P

I was going to get ribs for Casey and I to share, but Jason wanted the all you care to enjoy skillet (when did enjoy replace eat by the way :confused3) so I figured we’d all just go that route.

The skillet is served Family Style and to start they bring a Mixed Greens Salad Dressed with Apple Vinaigrette and Fresh-baked Cornbread.

The salad was as pathetic as it looks. Now I’m not sure when Disney started confusing “mixed greens” with iceberg lettuce but this appears to be a very sad trend. Admittedly I loathe iceberg lettuce so it didn’t get much of a fair shot, but the “dressing” pretty much tasted like pure apple cider vinegar.

Opposite side of the fence the corn bread was nice and sweet.

And of course anything slathered with butter is good. Maybe even that pesky iceberg lettuce o_O

Now for the skillet, it comes with A LOT. We had a table of 6 next to us and their skillet seemed to have the same amount of food as ours.

Starting at noon you get Slow-smoked Pork Ribs, Barbecued Pulled Pork, Oak-smoked Beef Brisket, Western-style Sausage, Mashed Yukon Potatoes, Green Beans, Buttered Corn, Herb-roasted Chicken, and in the middle Cowboy-style Baked Beans. The green beans were nothing special but very fresh but I don’t eat the corn thanks to a very unfortunate summer where my mother made it every single day for dinner and I haven’t been able to stand it since then.

While I love me some meat (insert joke here) the baked beans and mashed potatoes were my favorite. The potatoes were chunky and buttery with bits of skin in them which I love.

And the beans were sweet and smokey with hints of bacon. Both were definite wieners.

Of the meats the tender and smoky pulled pork was my favorite, but their bbq sauce was way too thick and sweet for my liking.

The brisket and sausage were both a bit fatty for me (I despise any fat), but I did like their flavor.

The ribs had a terrific char to them, though they were very dry.

On the exact opposite side of the spectrum the chicken was very moist and had a great smoky flavor to it.

And of course there was some more of this along the way.

Despite having nothing on our table that required ketchup Casey of course felt the need to yell for it, but otherwise the antics did seem tampered down from what we recall. Casey did partake in the horse race though.

And got a cupcake thanks to my birthday button (which I was allowed to put back on now that Casey's half birthday was over).

Overall Whispering Canyon is a fun experience, though the skillet most definitely is too much food and not at all the way we like to eat. We’ll stick to the regular menu next time. Casey was disappointed the antics were tampered down, but that may have had more to do with our server than the restaurant as a whole. With our Tables in Wonderland card we saved $23.90.

After dinner we headed back to MK via a bus saw a couple of these guys along the way.

Disney may have a whole Kingdom of Animals but there is certainly some magic in seeing them in their natural habitat.

Speaking of natural habitat on the bus it looked like more storms were rolling in but Casey used the old fingers crossed method to ensure she got some more park time in.

Thankfully it worked.

Once there Casey wanted to see Tink and Jason agreed to take her.

While I saw a man about my 3 Mooseheads and then chilled on Main Street for a while. I ended up finding a rocker in front of Tony’s and enjoyed a rare moment of solitude.

All that was missing was some wine.

We ended up having a great MK night with a roll through Space...

...Spinning in some cups, mining the worlds smallest mountain, hangin’ with 999 happy haunts, cruising through the wildest mountain in the West, and getting our birthday pirate on....

...Before finally getting back to the Scaffolding Club and crashing.

Up next, not one but two rare Counter Service meals :scared1:

Somewhere along the way we stopped for an iced coffee for me

Yep, nothing like Starbucks at Disney or any day!

The salad was as pathetic as it looks.

Now, that just looks SAD...

On the exact opposite side of the spectrum the chicken was very moist and had a great smoky flavor to it.

Now, that looks delicious!

And of course there was some more of this along the way.

Nothing wrong with a few of those...

Once there Casey wanted to see Tink and Jason agreed to take her.

Super cute pic of Casey and Tink.

That would be perfect!!! We will definitely enjoy a few glasses of wine at the WL in May on one of their comfy rockers...

That’s better or more than likely worse :P

Love the fun pictures you guys take.

(when did enjoy replace eat by the way :confused3)

Along with that, I'd like to know when 'dining pavilion' replaced 'food court'.

Green Beans,

Looks like they gave a ton of green beans there.

You're not touring correctly. :rolleyes1

We ended up having a great MK night with a roll through Space...

Love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts