Dining Wars: Drinking's Edge - An August 2018 Dining Report - Updated 2/18: Completed

I cannot believe that blimin eijit of a woman tried to jump off a moving ride!! Honest to goodness if some people had brains they’d be dangerous!!:scared1:
Glad you were able to enjoy some tasty food and (not do tasty) alcohol at least and I’m almost certain that 32ozs of sugar is the recommended dose for flagging kids lol

Last edited:
giphy.gif
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

But it's my favorite margarita in the World! Then again I like the sweetness (NOT the boba balls) but I don't think it's overly sweet.
You can have it! Maybe something was off that day but it was sickening sweet. No one else would even drink it.

:confused3 WTH??? How old was she? Had she never been on a ride before and didn't know you don't jump off of one that's moving? What an a@@, the rest of her family must have been embarrassed too. My boys would walk 12 feet in front of me the rest of the trip if I did that lol
I never got a good look at her but I'd say she was probably in her late 40's or 50's. She was with what I presume to be her husband who didn't say a word the entire time. I'm sure he was not happy.

VERY wise choice :thumbsup2 Avoid the inedible :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Protect yourself form barfing :crazy2: I was reading a thread here a couple weeks ago and someone asked for the "best" pizza in the world; someone else suggest the BW window. I knew they had to be high when they ate there so I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt but I couldn't help myself from commenting that, if the OP decided to eat there, it would be the biggest mistake they'd make all year.
#worstexcuseforpizza
Now I've never had it and never will thanks to your sage council but to call it the best pizza in Disney World. That is insane!!!! Then of course I see people rave about Pizzafari and well that just ain't right :P

I'm definitely getting the Landry's card before we go next month! Chris wants to eat at Rainforest, the rest of us want Y&Y (wonder where we'll end up lol?) and I've been meaning to get it for awhile. On my extremely long list of things to do.
Definitely make sure you get it. So nice not to have to worry about an ADR, even if you have to eat at Rainforest :-)

This is hilarous!
He's a special man

That is even more sweet than the margarita! My girls love it as well.
I didn't try it but if its sweeter than the margarita no chance I could get through it

No but the fun mamas do!
You got that right sister!

I really don't know why I didn't order this when we were there. Next time!
I literally cannot order it. It's some sort of ordained Disney law that I must comply to.

Oh my goodness on the woman jumping off Dinosaur. :scared: I’d be mortified if I ruined the ride for everyone. Yak and Yeti and Abracadabar are on my list for my next trip!
I'm sure she was mortified which is why I was nicer than normal and kept my comments and side glances to myself.

:rotfl: This one is a keeper for sure!!!
She love/hates EE and you never know what kinda picture we are gonna get.

What's the legal limit for avoiding a YUI, anyway? (Yeti-ing Under the Influence)
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: What ever it is I'm sure I'm consistently over it

Oh okay, that's more like it! I actually like the Moara margarita and I'm not usually a fan of frozen mixed drinks at the parks, but this one is okay to me, probably because strawberry margaritas take me right back to college. Last time I made the mistake of opting for the spiked version of Casey's night blossom and it was :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: YUCK
(don't worry, I too finished my gross drink)
If you like it and don't like frozen drinks either maybe there was something wrong with this one. Of course now that I think of it Jason got it for me so maybe he got the night blossom instead :confused3 Don't know but not sure I want to find out again the hard way.

"officer I swear I am not impersonating law enforcement, here's my DisBoards badge... what? Mothering without a license? alright when's my court date?"
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Oh how i love the ahi tuna nancho! Worth the visit just for these. Loving your report and keeping note of Cocktail to tick off next summer
You've so got that right!!! Ahi nachos are a thing of wonder.

I would really like to try Yak and Yeti. unfortunately I'm the only one in my clan who likes Asian food. I suppose there are other things on the menu that they may try. I will have to keep it in mind as a possibility in the future.
If the rest of the gang doesn't like Asian food then Yak n Yeti sadly probably isn't your best choice. The do have some non-Asian things but not too many of them.

I love your writing style. Yak & Yeti looks awesome, now I'm hungry!
Thanks so much. And what do you know I'm hungry too :-)

Yep, whatever you have to do to keep the smiles is 100% worth the inflated Disney LOVE!!!!
You got that right. Though for $9 we lost this somewhere along the way so I have a sneaky suspecision I'm going to have to get another one next time.

Ummm, just had these last week and I couldn't agree with you more!!!!
Glad to hear you loved them too. Speaking of which I could go for one right about now :-)

We will make up for this little mishap in May...:drinking1
Woohoo!!!!!! :drinking1

What is wrong with people?! I would’ve been so annoyed! :sad2::sad2::sad2:
And we were. I have no idea what she was thinking

Always a good choice to take out that Landry card and spend some time at Yak and Yeti! All your food looks so yummy. Andi had the chicken and waffles and her chicken was so delicious. Those ahi tuna nachos look really good, still on my wish list, maybe one of these days.

I can’t believe some lady tried to jump off Dinosaur, yikes, I love this ride and would never do that!:laughing:
I know you all love Yak n Yeti and the Landry's card as much as we do!

I still have no idea what that lady was thinking.

She shut down the whole ride. :sad2: There is a protocol here, folks! Glad she didn't get hurt bailing, though. Sorry Casey didn't get to ride it!
Yup and her attempt to jump off wasn't even successful. I think the ride operator saw her trying to do it and hit some sort of button that set everything in motion.

I cannot believe that blimin eijit of a woman tried to jump off a moving ride!! Honest to goodness if some people had brains they’d be dangerous!!:scared1:
Glad you were able to enjoy some tasty food and (not do tasty) alcohol at least and I’m almost certain that 32ozs of sugar is the recommended dose for flagging kids lol
I know right? This lady was clearly in the I have no brain club. I can't fathom what would happen if she did.

After such a harrowing journey more drinks were in order and what do ya know Pongo Pongo was right there.
Well, how convenient... :rolleyes1

But of course I finished it anyway.
After all, you knew all the people who were not at Disney and not with a drink in hand!

We were able to pick up a 4th fast pass for Casey’s favorite Dinosaur and no sooner had our vehicle taken off than the woman sitting next to J decided she didn’t want to ride and tried to jump off. Jump off!!!!
What?! :scared1:

Not wanting to chance Ariane's (aka @ariane37) favorite Boardwalk Pizza Window
And yet she speaks so highly of their fare? :confused3 :rotfl:

(clearly Jason did not get the its my birthday memo)
Clearly! :sad2: But at least you all night-capped together. And I hope he'll make better decisions in the future! :p

After all, you knew all the people who were not at Disney and not with a drink in hand!
Yes I did it for them. I'm a Disney philanthropist after all :-)

And yet she speaks so highly of their fare? :confused3 :rotfl:
I know right? Its her first stop every trip.

Clearly! :sad2: But at least you all night-capped together. And I hope he'll make better decisions in the future! :p
The nightcaps thankfully became a nightly endeavor but sadly there was not any Abracadabar in my future

Episode III: All it Takes is Beer, Cigars, & Pixie Dust

On my birthday eve we were up early and headed to the most magical place on earth with the most jaded cynic on the planet.

But after the requisite castle pics

Disney wear

Pirate lore

And of course some pixie dust

We had a convert.

Well that may be a stretch but he wasn’t completely hating it.

To keep the trend going we figured some Dole Whip was in order.

#BreakfastOfChampions

From there we got our soak, I mean splash, on

And made our introductions to a couple of hitchhiking ghosts

Before it was time for LUNCH!! We’d planned on just grabbing some quick service at Columbia Harbor House but upon learning there were no beverages de adultos our hitchhikers requested something else. Thankfully Skippers Canteen had availability within a few minutes so we were off.

Before too long our adult cravings were met with a round of Michelob Ultra’s for the girls and some Kungaloosh Spiced Excursion Ale for the boys.

Casey also got Schweitzer Slush which I for some reason, and much to the amusement of everyone else, ordered as a Swisher Sweet. For anyone who wasn’t trying to impress the agriculture majors in college in the mid-90’s this is a really cheap, really bad but sweet cigar that I may or may not have thought made me look "cool" once upon a time. While my mothering skills are often suspect this was bad even for me.

We elected to share several items rather than getting separate entrees again. This time we started with a Sriacha Shrimp special they were having.

These were large fried shrimp in a creamy sweet and spicy sauce. While good the cup is deceiving as it was 75% filled with very salty coleslaw and only had 6 shrimp. While they were large it wasn’t quite shareable. They also charged $15 for it because we got to keep the cup. Would have been nice to know that up front.

We also got the Orinoco Ida's Cachapas with
House-made Corn Pancakes, Mojo-braised Pork, Black Bean Salad, and Avocado Cream

Thankfully these were as corny and porky as promised and made up for the disappointing shrimp. Sadly despite us suggesting otherwise this did not come with a souvenir plate.

We also decided to split the Tastes Like Chicken and Perkins Thai Noodles.

You’ll never believe that the Tastes Like Chicken, tasted like salmon! Clearly the skippers joke was on us.

Seriously though this was nice and crispy with good moisture in the chicken, though the “chili sauce” could have been kicked up a few notches. I did go to town on the steamed rice though as this is oddly one of my favorite foods.

Unfortunately the Perkins Thai Noodles where not as good. They are described as
Chicken, Tofu, Seasonal Vegetables, and Rice Noodles tossed in a Spicy Soy-Chili Garlic Sauce and a “favorite of our friend Pamelia Perkins, President of the Adventurers Club.” Well Pamelia needs to stop putting unnecessary vowels in her name and start traveling because thai noodles these are not. The noodles themselves were undercooked and the soy-chili-garlic sauce appeared to be a broth made of about 90% soy sauce. Someone liked them though.

We were a bit disappointed in this trip to Skippers, but at least there was BEER!!!! MK does need to seriously up their food game. Though with our tables in wonderland card we did save $28.20.

After lunch we went on a trippy ride with Donald and looked for some dwarfs in them thar hills, b
efore getting our space on. I skipped this as the heat was getting to me and thankfully I did or else we would have missed the Jason and Casey doppelgangers who rode along with J.

That’s some serious outer space trippiness right there.

We decided to head out from there but not before Casey (and her adolescent father) got a picture with “her” restaurant.

One of these days I'll actually let this poor child eat there.

Up next, when it rains it pours

Last edited:
Just catching up! I always love your reports.

I still think that I'm a little like Casey with her taste for sweet and frozen drinks. I think that margarita sounds fabulous! I'm also lamenting the fact that it's been so long since we've been to Yak & Yeti, because those egg rolls are so good. I know they're just egg rolls, but DANG, they're good.

I skipped this as the heat was getting to me and thankfully I did or else we would have missed the Jason and Casey doppelgangers who rode along with J.

Whoa, that's weird. Like, super weird. I totally thought it was them when I was scrolling past and wondered if you somehow did rider swap without a small child or lucked upon a short line.

I totally agree that MK needs to step up their food game, though Skipper's Canteen is a little too strange for my taste.

Casey also got Schweitzer Slush which I for some reason, and much to the amusement of everyone else, ordered as a Swisher Sweet.
ha! I did not know where you were going to go with the Cigar thing...

Love this photo.

These were large fried shrimp in a creamy sweet and spicy sauce. While good the cup is deceiving as it was 75% filled with very salty coleslaw and only had 6 shrimp. While they were large it wasn’t quite shareable. They also charged $15 for it because we got to keep the cup. Would have been nice to know that up front.
They look good. I do hate when they fill the cups to make it look like more. I mean you are going to figure out what is in it when you start eating it...

Thankfully these were as corny and porky as promised and made up for the disappointing shrimp. Sadly despite us suggesting otherwise this did not come with a souvenir plate.
I am thinking I might order this as my meal next time we go.

. I skipped this as the heat was getting to me and thankfully I did or else we would have missed the Jason and Casey doppelgangers who rode along with J.

That is hilarious! I totally at first thought they rode twice. And did the double take.

That's really disappointing about the shrimp special. That dish is right up my alley too!

Glad you enjoyed the chicken dish - I agree it could have been spicier but I realize they are making it for the masses and not those of us that like adventure.

Yay for beer!

The shrimp look really good, sorry they didn’t live up to their photogenic yum, yum!

We have been once and had the chicken dish and we did enjoy it, not our favorite though

I can’t believe how much the two resemble Casey and Jason, I had to look twice to realize it wasn’t them, wow!

Looks like your friends were enjoying MK!

thankfully I did or else we would have missed the Jason and Casey doppelgangers who rode along with J.
Woah...mind blown. Are you sure it wasn't the Swisher Sweet you had after all? :P

One of these days I'll actually let this poor child eat there.
If you do, I just hope it's better than my last experience there. It'll make my TR eventually, but nope, not great service. Food meh.

We also got the Orinoco Ida's Cachapas with House-made Corn Pancakes, Mojo-braised Pork, Black Bean Salad, and Avocado Cream

These are on my list to try...I did, however, order the Tastes Like Chicken Because It Is, and liked it again the second time...I agree that Disney DEFINITELY needs to up their food game...Sadly, most of the restaurants have gone downhill...

I think Casey would be my drinking buddy through the parks. I am right there with her in all her choices (although I can't do carbonation so I would just have to smell her drinks).

We’d planned on just grabbing some quick service at Columbia Harbor House but upon learning there were no beverages de adultos our hitchhikers requested something else.

That's a tragedy!! :eek: Your second choice ended up being a good one though!

Casey also got Schweitzer Slush which I for some reason, and much to the amusement of everyone else, ordered as a Swisher Sweet. For anyone who wasn’t trying to impress the agriculture majors in college in the mid-90’s this is a really cheap, really bad but sweet cigar that I may or may not have thought made me look "cool" once upon a time.

:rotfl:

Seriously though this was nice and crispy with good moisture in the chicken, though the “chili sauce” could have been kicked up a few notches. I did go to town on the steamed rice though as this is oddly one of my favorite foods.

Mmm...I'm a fan. I laughed at your steamed rice thing though. I like rice as much as the next guy, but it's probably not what I'd get excited about here. That said, the rice they used to have on this dish...I was obsessed! I'm pretty sad they changed it actually.

MK does need to seriously up their food game.

Amen, sista!

I tell ya, Kari, all I need for an upper is to read one of your updates ;) Instant mood-boost :thumbsup2

Yes I did it for them. I'm a Disney philanthropist after all :-)
I see that!

I know right? Its her first stop every trip.
As it should be - she knows good pizza when she sees/tastes/smells it :snooty: :laughing:

but upon learning there were no beverages de adultos
:rotfl: The shame!

our hitchhikers requested something else
They can be so convincing, can't they?!

Sadly despite us suggesting otherwise this did not come with a souvenir plate.
What?! And on the heels of the fantastic inclusion of the tin cup? Maybe the cup was more of a chalice, ya know... worth some more. Jimmy Buffet fan per chance? :laughing:;)

That’s some serious outer space trippiness right there.
:rotfl2:

We decided to head out from there but not before Casey (and her adolescent father) got a picture with “her” restaurant.
:rotfl: Something tells me your family is rarely bored... :rolleyes1 ;)

Just catching up! I always love your reports.

I still think that I'm a little like Casey with her taste for sweet and frozen drinks. I think that margarita sounds fabulous! I'm also lamenting the fact that it's been so long since we've been to Yak & Yeti, because those egg rolls are so good. I know they're just egg rolls, but DANG, they're good.
Welcome back!!!! You and Casey can keep your saccharine filled drinks. I just can't handle them :P Funny aside I was hungry at work today and the only thing I had was some "fruit" gusher things for Casey. I decided to give them a whirl and promptly spit it out. They were way too sweet for my liking.

Whoa, that's weird. Like, super weird. I totally thought it was them when I was scrolling past and wondered if you somehow did rider swap without a small child or lucked upon a short line.

I totally agree that MK needs to step up their food game, though Skipper's Canteen is a little too strange for my taste.
I know, it is crazy how much they look alike. Funny poses and same colors and all. Odd Jason didn't notice them when they were in line but we all did a double take when we saw the ride photos.

ha! I did not know where you were going to go with the Cigar thing...
One never knows where I'm gonna go :P

They look good. I do hate when they fill the cups to make it look like more. I mean you are going to figure out what is in it when you start eating it...
Yeah it was really disappointing, especially for that much money. But hey we got a cup out of it :confused3

I am thinking I might order this as my meal next time we go.
You definitely should. They have had this or a variation on it on the menu since it opened and we've always enjoyed it.

That is hilarious! I totally at first thought they rode twice. And did the double take.
Crazy isn't it!

That's really disappointing about the shrimp special. That dish is right up my alley too!

Glad you enjoyed the chicken dish - I agree it could have been spicier but I realize they are making it for the masses and not those of us that like adventure.

Yay for beer!
The shrimp could have been so good if only they had given me a cup full of actual shrimp. Oh well, lesson learned in the name of dining reporting.

I'd definitely get the chicken again, just should have asked for some sriracha or something to douse it with.

The shrimp look really good, sorry they didn’t live up to their photogenic yum, yum!
They were definitely good, we just needed about 10 more of them to fill the cup up :-)

I can’t believe how much the two resemble Casey and Jason, I had to look twice to realize it wasn’t them, wow!
I know right? We were shocked when we saw the ride photos.

Woah...mind blown. Are you sure it wasn't the Swisher Sweet you had after all? :P
Maybe it was. I remember what those things used to do to me and hallucinogenic power was right up there

If you do, I just hope it's better than my last experience there. It'll make my TR eventually, but nope, not great service. Food meh.
Yikes! And it has such a good name. Shame really

These are on my list to try...I did, however, order the Tastes Like Chicken Because It Is, and liked it again the second time...I agree that Disney DEFINITELY needs to up their food game...Sadly, most of the restaurants have gone downhill...
It is sad and I'm pretty sure food is at least 50% of the reason we love it so much. Thankfully the signatures have stayed pretty steady and Disney Springs has upped their game, but the parks are just sad.

OMG!!! Take her here!!!!!! That cute as a button kid of yours deserves it!!!!
She's "technically" eaten there. I had a corn dog craving when I was pregnant with her so she had a little in vitro :P We would stop if it wasn't such chaos in there most of the time.

I think Casey would be my drinking buddy through the parks. I am right there with her in all her choices (although I can't do carbonation so I would just have to smell her drinks).
I can see you and she wandering world showcase now seeking out the sweetest drinks the Nations have to offer :-)

That's a tragedy!! :eek: Your second choice ended up being a good one though!
Thankfully for all parties involved or it would have been a total disaster (except for the beer of course)

Mmm...I'm a fan. I laughed at your steamed rice thing though. I like rice as much as the next guy, but it's probably not what I'd get excited about here. That said, the rice they used to have on this dish...I was obsessed! I'm pretty sad they changed it actually.
What did the rice use to be like? I have an odd fascination with plain steamed (preferably Jasmine or Basmati) rice. Whenever we get Chinese food Jason and Casey eat fried rice and I just want the plain steamed stuff out of the carton.

I tell ya, Kari, all I need for an upper is to read one of your updates ;) Instant mood-boost :thumbsup2
Thanks Tracy! Glad I could boost ya up :hug:

They can be so convincing, can't they?!
I learned from every scary movie ever that you must do what the hitchhiker says if you wanna stay alive

What?! And on the heels of the fantastic inclusion of the tin cup? Maybe the cup was more of a chalice, ya know... worth some more. Jimmy Buffet fan per chance? :laughing:;)
How'd ya know? I've got a parrot head license plate and everything. And I would have liked it much better if Disney had at least filled my chalice with good red wine :drinking1

:rotfl: Something tells me your family is rarely bored... :rolleyes1 ;)
At least two of them never are. Most days I wonder where they came from :-)

From there we got our soak, I mean splash, on
You fool, you sat on the wrong (right) side of the log!!!

Stupid waterfall...

However, if we ever ride splash together please forget this comment :D

beverages de adultos
Bahaha. We talk like this too.

Casey also got Schweitzer Slush which I for some reason, and much to the amusement of everyone else, ordered as a Swisher Sweet.
:lmao:

I am dead. Totally deceased. RIP Melinda.

While my mothering skills are often suspect this was bad even for me.
I laughed so hard I am surprised I didn't wake sleeping teacher husband up in the other room. WHAT did the skipper say? I can just picture it now. "I'll have the Michelob Ultra, and for the little lady we will have a swisher sweet" :rotfl: Plus you know they are used a lot for the partaking of certain herbal healing remedies...:hippie:

Seriously can't stop laughing, this is even better than tipsy notes.

Okay I sadly feel like $15 is par for the course at Disney for six dang shrimp but WHO ON EARTH thinks oh my shrimp appetizer will come in a souvenir mug? Someone who made the menu was using swisher sweets for the :hippie::hippie::hippie:

That's just because your bag wasn't large enough...

thankfully I did or else we would have missed the Jason and Casey doppelgangers who rode along with J.
That is too weird. Or is it that your reports have become so popular you have to travel with body doubles to distract the masses? QUICK, LOOK OVER THERE, A CHILD WITH SLUSHI AND A MAN POSING FOR ANKLE GLAMOUR SHOTS!

:rotfl2:

This is hilarious. Or maybe I'm still laughing at you ordering a cigarillo for casey to drink...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter