Dining Reviews From Mid-May

MeLaNie9

DIS Veteran
Yup - May....sorry so late but we came home to an illness then death in the family and got wrapped up with all of that plus work plus everything else that wraps up families these days....
But I wanted to share our reviews because we got so much advice and helpful info from these posts.
Before I start - we brought some breakfast foods (Nutrigrain bars and little boxes of cereals), bought some milk at Captain Cooks, and had most of our breakfasts in the room. Also, we were on the DDP (DH and I, DS2 ate off our plates) and loved it! Thought it was a great deal!

Day 1, Sat: Arrival around noon
Lunch Captain Cooks - We were waiting for our room at the Poly to be ready. DS and I had the hot dog and DH had the pork sandwich. Fries were good, DH liked pork sandwich. Ate outside, it was nice to relax after plane ride, ME trip, and checking in.

Dinner MK, Crystal Palace - Character interaction was good. We met them all and DS took to Piglet and Tigger. Food was good. I enjoyed the Mediterranean Pasta Salad and the Thai Curry Mussels. DH liked the mushroom and chicken pasta with a cream sauce. DS ate more Mac-n-Cheese at this one sitting than I had ever seen him eat before!

Day 2, Sun:
Room service breakfast arranged by DH for Mother's Day. Delicious Mickey waffles and spicy sausage. DH and DS shared the Big Kahuna Breakfast.

Lunch Epcot, Harry Ramsden's Fish and Chips and Lotus Blossom in China - DH had the fish and chips which were good but a bit too greasy. DS and I split the Vegetable Lo Mein. We both loved it. I had the Ginger ice cream and really liked it, however DH thought it was disgusting.

Dinner Epcot, Garden Grill - We just love this place, this was DH's favorite meal...Characters were great and came by multiple times as our DS warmed up to them over time. Food was great - bread was good, DH devoured the catfish and I loved the flank steak and potatoes. We had seconds and I think even thirds!

Day 3, Mon:
Lunch MK, Pecos Bill's - We had cheesburgers and fries. Loved the toppings bar, especially cheese sauce for fries. It was very busy and difficult to find a place to sit. Seating areas were filthy, but we dealt. The peanut butter brownie mousse dessert was awesome - I am a peanut butter-aholic.

Dinner DTD, Earl of Sandwich - We were going to eat at WPE but weren't interested in anything on the menu, so we ended up at EoS. Unfortunately we were not impressed with the sandwiches. They were passable, nothing special.

Day 4, Tue:
Lunch AK, Tusker House and Flame Tree Barbecue- DH had the BBQ pork sandwich at FTB. He thought sandwich was good, but beans and corn were awful. DS and I had the 1/2 chicken meal at Tusker House - the whole meal was delicious, even the veggies which DS snapped up.

Dinner AK Lodge, Boma - This was our biggest disappointment. We had read a lot of good reviews about Boma and a relative strongly recommended it. We like lots of different types of food, just nothing at this buffet. I tried every soup and stew they had plus many other things and just didn't like anything. DH did like the squash soup, but that was about it. Many desserts were labeled as containing alcohol and I was in my 1st trimester of pregnancy so couldn't partake in anything other than basic chocolate chip cookies.

Day 5, Wed:
Breakfast CR, Chef Mickey's - Very crowded, waited a long time to be seated despite ADR's (at least 45 min.) Characters slow to come around (likely because restaurant so crowded) and we left before meeting them all. Typical breakfast fare, nothing to write home about. Lines to get food really long!

Dinner Poly, Kona Cafe - My favorite meal...I had the crab cakes, shrimp and scallops, and passion fruit orange guava mousse. Crab cakes were yummy and full of crab, shrimp and scallops were awesome. My dessert was ok. DH had the duck potstickers, macadamia encrusted mahi, and the big chocolate cake with warm chocolate sauce inside. He thought all of his food was good, especially the chocolate cake.

Day 6, Thur:
Lunch MK, LTT - We really liked this place. Service was excellent and food was very good. I had the crab cake, colony salad (delicious), and Liberty shortcake (huge and delicious, refreshing with the ice cream and berries). DH had the fried cheese, William Penn pasta, and butter griddled pound cake - he thought all were good. This was the only meal where we got a kiddie meal for DS - corn dog nuggets, he ate them all (which is virtually unheard of for him) and the server didn't charge us for them. Something about us being on the dining plan and already having paid alot....He got a bonus tip.

Dinner Epcot, Electric Umbrella - We ended up here after a long trek around the Lagoon in search of a hotdog at Liberty Inn (hey...pregnant and hotdogs were a particular craving that week!) which ended up being closed for renovation. Everything else was really busy due to the upcoming Illumintions show so by default, this is where we ate. We had the bacon double cheeseburgers. I have never had that much burger in my life so my second patty went to DS. Burgers and fries were good. We were actually able to leave this place just as Illuminations was starting and walk a little ways towards Lagoon and see the show very well. It made for a quick exit from the park afterwards.

Day 7:
Lunch MGM, Flat Bread Grill - Good CS. I had the chili cheese dog (surprise, surprise) with chips. DH had the pork sandwich (note a trend among his choices as well???) with chips. DS had a little of each.

All in all, we had a great trip with great dining. Really liked being on the DDP, especially with DS being "free" and able to eat off of our plates - it is hard to know when he will eat a lot or a tiny amount so we were very glad to not have to buy meals for him. I can't wait to go back and will keep reading this board to pick new places to try for our next trip! :cool1:

pirate: Thanks for the reviews! Better late than never. Hopefully all is well with the family. :thumbsup2

Great reviews!! :goodvibes We were there the same week!!
I'm slacking with you. I was all gung-ho to make a review this time around, and just haven't found the time to sit and do it. Better late then never. ;)

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thank you so much for posting. Interesting to hear your take on the popular Boma.

Sorry for the family sadness on your return.

And wishing you a stress-free pregnancy from now on!!!!! Good luck!!!

melomouse

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!