Dining reviews from July 18th-22nd. With pictures! Edited 7-26-22

Haygar2

DIS Veteran
Hi all! This is my second time doing a review, and it's been a while since my first one, so let's see if I remember how to do this. My name is Denise and I just returned from a 5-day trip to Disney with my friend Crystal. We were there to celebrate my 50th birthday so it was a girl's only trip. We left the husbands and the kids at home. This was my 6th time visiting and Crystal had never been. I had much to show her by way of food. We were excited to be there for Food and Wine. Things didn't go according to plan, on that front, but I will get into that later.

Day 1: We left Ohio at 6:15 Monday morning and we landed at MCO at 8:12. Our pilot was on it! We hired a car service and he was waiting when we arrived. We stopped at the grocery for just a couple of things and made our way to Old Key West. Our home for the next few days. It was early, so our room was not ready. We dropped our bags at Bell Service, killed some time until the boat to Disney Springs began running (which is 10:00 am by the way), and around 10:00 we made our way to the boat. We took a nice leisurely ride to the Springs. Our first stop was Gideon's. I had to have the peanut butter cold brew and I wanted to try some cookies. Most specifically the July special Orange Pecan Chocolate Chip. (Of course I forgot to take a picture of it) Oh my goodness! I wish I would have ordered 6 of those. That cookie was incredible! If you like orange and chocolate this is the cookie for you. It was amazing! I want more. I need to find someone who is going soon and beg them to bring me some back. I give those a 100/10. I also ordered the banana chocolate chip cookie. It was good. Tastes like a piece of banana bread. I'd give it an 8/10.295222696_417022060395487_9188255747718597842_n.jpg
I also ordered the pistachio toffee cookie. That is delicious. Sorry, the chocolate chips had melted when I went to take this picture. It looks rough, but tastes amazing! I'd give this a 9/10.295063187_3362715950718837_3314904873689815560_n.jpg

I also ordered the key lime cake. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of that, too. Oops. The only excuse I have is that I had been up since 3:30 in the morning. The cake was okay. It was a lot of buttercream, and I love buttercream but it seemed like that was all I was eating. I saved the best for last. The peanut butter cold brew. Holy cow....this was incredible!! I could have had one of these every day. Makes me wish that Gideon's was closer to my house. Probably a good thing that it isn't. 1000/10!293627363_1253830495427616_3161826622383584279_n.jpg.
If you've never been inside of Gideon's it is adorable. 294494388_553398049909785_2652462372811514030_n.jpg

From there we had some time until our lunch reservation at Homecomin'. So we shopped a bit and then headed that way. Now, I have eaten at Homecomin' before. My husband and I ate there not long after it opened. At that time, I thought it was okay. My husband was not a fan and I couldn't get him to go back. So, this was the perfect opportunity to try it again. I really wanted those Thigh-high chicken biscuits. The chicken was good. It could have used a little more sauce. The biscuits, unfortunately, were a little dry. Overall, I'd give them an 8/10.294000198_619553066071488_5604398698556506488_n.jpg
We also ordered the basket of puppies. I liked the pimento cheese. The jelly was more a a sauce and a bit runny. I'd give them a 7/10 overall.293550024_822686542226361_8390400566156378806_n.jpg
We also ordered the mac and cheese. It was okay. Is it possible for mac and cheese to be too much? It was for both of us. I'd give it a 7/10. 294749647_390513673068632_6606217899552600016_n.jpgWe also ordered Bradley's grits. Now those...definitely a 10/10. They were delicious. I, again, forgot to take a picture. But they look just like the mac and cheese. LOL. However, they taste better.

Like I said before, my husband was a one and done with Homecomin'. I was excited to go with my friend so I could try it again. I have to say, that I think I am done with it as a MUST DO. I know that is not a popular statement, but I can say I gave it two tries. The food is good, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed what I ordered. It's just so heavy. Especially in the heat. And there are definitely restaurants that I enjoy more. Would I try it again? Maybe someday. But for now, peace out Homecomin'.

After lunch we headed back to our resort. Our room was ready. Woohoo!! We went to take a nap and shower so we could head back to Disney Springs for dinner.

Nap - check. Shower - check. Feeling better - check. Time to take the boat back to the Springs to eat at my favorite restaruant. They have my favorite dish ANYWHERE! Raglan Road here we come! I asked if we could be seated near the stage. I know it's a request and not a garauntee. Usually, we've been seated near the stage. Not this time however. We were seated as far away and around a corner from the stage. That kind of sucked, but what are you gonna do? We started our meal with the brown bread and Guiness dipping sauce. Can I just say YUM!! So freaking good. 10/10. No question. 294978036_802280327605590_6989229163032422181_n.jpg

And then my favorite. The dish that I dream about. It never disappoints. The Gnocchi Sea/Gnocchi Do. I love this so much. Scallops, pork belly, the most delicate gnocchi, tomatoes, in a creamy sauce. OMG! 10000/10. I can't say enough good things about this. 294385418_1399862897187664_615250237797483260_n.jpg

We did not order dessert. We had cookies and cake back in our room. So, we shopped some more and headed back to our room to get some sleep. We had a busy day scheduled for day 2.

Hi all! This is my second time doing a review, and it's been a while since my first one, so let's see if I remember how to do this. My name is Denise and I just returned from a 5-day trip to Disney with my friend Crystal. We were there to celebrate my 50th birthday so it was a girl's only trip. We left the husbands and the kids at home. This was my 6th time visiting and Crystal had never been. I had much to show her by way of food. We were excited to be there for Food and Wine. Things didn't go according to plan, on that front, but I will get into that later.

Day 1: We left Ohio at 6:15 Monday morning and we landed at MCO at 8:12. Our pilot was on it! We hired a car service and he was waiting when we arrived. We stopped at the grocery for just a couple of things and made our way to Old Key West. Our home for the next few days. It was early, so our room was not ready. We dropped our bags at Bell Service, killed some time until the boat to Disney Springs began running (which is 10:00 am by the way), and around 10:00 we made our way to the boat. We took a nice leisurely ride to the Springs. Our first stop was Gideon's. I had to have the peanut butter cold brew and I wanted to try some cookies. Most specifically the July special Orange Pecan Chocolate Chip. (Of course I forgot to take a picture of it) Oh my goodness! I wish I would have ordered 6 of those. That cookie was incredible! If you like orange and chocolate this is the cookie for you. It was amazing! I want more. I need to find someone who is going soon and beg them to bring me some back. I give those a 100/10. I also ordered the banana chocolate chip cookie. It was good. Tastes like a piece of banana bread. I'd give it an 8/10.View attachment 687966
I also ordered the pistachio toffee cookie. That is delicious. Sorry, the chocolate chips had melted when I went to take this picture. It looks rough, but tastes amazing! I'd give this a 9/10.View attachment 687965

I also ordered the key lime cake. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of that, too. Oops. The only excuse I have is that I had been up since 3:30 in the morning. The cake was okay. It was a lot of buttercream, and I love buttercream but it seemed like that was all I was eating. I saved the best for last. The peanut butter cold brew. Holy cow....this was incredible!! I could have had one of these every day. Makes me wish that Gideon's was closer to my house. Probably a good thing that it isn't. 1000/10!View attachment 687970.
If you've never been inside of Gideon's it is adorable. View attachment 687969

From there we had some time until our lunch reservation at Homecomin'. So we shopped a bit and then headed that way. Now, I have eaten at Homecomin' before. My husband and I ate there not long after it opened. At that time, I thought it was okay. My husband was not a fan and I couldn't get him to go back. So, this was the perfect opportunity to try it again. I really wanted those Thigh-high chicken biscuits. The chicken was good. It could have used a little more sauce. The biscuits, unfortunately, were a little dry. Overall, I'd give them an 8/10.View attachment 687962
We also ordered the basket of puppies. I liked the pimento cheese. The jelly was more a a sauce and a bit runny. I'd give them a 7/10 overall.View attachment 687963
We also ordered the mac and cheese. It was okay. Is it possible for mac and cheese to be too much? It was for both of us. I'd give it a 7/10. View attachment 687964We also ordered Bradley's grits. Now those...definitely a 10/10. They were delicious. I, again, forgot to take a picture. But they look just like the mac and cheese. LOL. However, they taste better.

Like I said before, my husband was a one and done with Homecomin'. I was excited to go with my friend so I could try it again. I have to say, that I think I am done with it as a MUST DO. I know that is not a popular statement, but I can say I gave it two tries. The food is good, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed what I ordered. It's just so heavy. Especially in the heat. And there are definitely restaurants that I enjoy more. Would I try it again? Maybe someday. But for now, peace out Homecomin'.

After lunch we headed back to our resort. Our room was ready. Woohoo!! We went to take a nap and shower so we could head back to Disney Springs for dinner.

Nap - check. Shower - check. Feeling better - check. Time to take the boat back to the Springs to eat at my favorite restaruant. They have my favorite dish ANYWHERE! Raglan Road here we come! I asked if we could be seated near the stage. I know it's a request and not a garauntee. Usually, we've been seated near the stage. Not this time however. We were seated as far away and around a corner from the stage. That kind of sucked, but what are you gonna do? We started our meal with the brown bread and Guiness dipping sauce. Can I just say YUM!! So freaking good. 10/10. No question. View attachment 687976

And then my favorite. The dish that I dream about. It never disappoints. The Gnocchi Sea/Gnocchi Do. I love this so much. Scallops, pork belly, the most delicate gnocchi, tomatoes, in a creamy sauce. OMG! 10000/10. I can't say enough good things about this. View attachment 687978

We did not order dessert. We had cookies and cake back in our room. So, we shopped some more and headed back to our room to get some sleep. We had a busy day scheduled for day 2.
totally agree with Homecomin, wanted to love it just so/so for us. Maybe, just maybe one day I will give it another try, though I know our opinion is not the norm.

Day 2:

Up early and headed to Animal Kingdom. Wanted to do the safari before it became too hot. Who am I kidding? It's July. It's hot all the time. The safari was incredible. The lion was talking. The female was talking back. Our safari driver said she worked there for 16 years and had never heard them do that before. Not only did they "talk" back and forth with each other, but they also started wrestling. It was great. We headed straight to Flight of Passage because we had a breakfast reservation at Boma. My favorite buffet. And I HAD to try, no I NEEDED to try the Spiked and Striped Cold Brew. I love love love Zebra domes and I had a feeling that the coffee would not disappoint. And I was correct. It was amazing! Not too strong either. Which, for a lightweight like me, was a good thing. Definitely a 10/10! 295685619_554528949746068_3931548881876918775_n.jpg

The buffet is amazing. So many good things to eat. I had bacon, eggs with gouda and spinach, tomatoes, grits, ham with a spicy mustard sauce, deviled eggs, and plantains. So delicious. The eggs, grits, and tomatoes all in one bite were heaven. And I love plantains. I went back for seconds of those. 10/10 on the buffet food. And who can forget the POG juice? Yum! 293641453_1089324065316878_1899588703751270956_n.jpg
On the buffet they have an avocado, grapefruit, and papaya salad. Kind of strange. It was a texture thing. Not so sure about this one. I would give it a 4/10. The grapefruit and papaya were good. I just don't think that the avocado went with it.293995227_607419547469018_594990481147308896_n.jpg
And to round out the meal...the pastries. I had the guava turnover and the bread pudding with the caramel pecan sauce as well as the vanilla sauce. Holy Cow!! Yum!! I would give the turnover an 8/10 and the bread pudding a 10/10. 295985846_756879218988838_140808230150889126_n.jpg
I love Boma. It is a MUST every trip.

After breakfast we went back to the resort to rest and wait out the extreme heat of the day. We headed back to Animal Kindgom later for dinner reservations at Yak & Yeti.

We started our dinner with, what else, Ahi Tuna Nachos. Now, I just love these! There is something about them. Nice and spicy but the tuna cools things down. So delicious. Definitely a 10/10 294492414_413414407488596_9017837406689621111_n.jpg

I ordered one of their limited-time dishes. The Szechuan Chicken and Shrimp Noodles. It was tasty. Spicy. But nothing spectacular. Similar to something I have eaten before. I would give it a 7/10. 293736605_851141699189250_1991233526234215670_n.jpg
My friend ordered the Teriyaki Chicken and Shrimp. It was okay. Again, nothing special or really memorable. 7/10 for that one as well. 294984039_407774934666692_7240216899308957889_n.jpg

We did not order dessert. We weren't hungry but, from memory, the pineapple wontons are delicious!! I love them.

This sums up our second day of food. On to day 3. Next up....Magic Kingdom and early dinner at Cinderella's Castle.

Nice pics and review! We love Homecomin' it's a must for us every trip. There's always way too much food, but with a fridge & microwave in the villa, we enjoy the leftovers the following day.

Nice pics and review! We love Homecomin' it's a must for us every trip. There's always way too much food, but with a fridge & microwave in the villa, we enjoy the leftovers the following day.
I really want to love it LOL. But unfortunately, I don't. I'm sure I will try it again eventually.

Enjoying the reviews. We love Homecoming but really it’s because of the moonshine. I love the drinks here. I agree it’s heavy food- I usually get the salad. Which is also a bit heavy but not as bad as the chicken and waffles.

We are not Ragland fans. It’s too hit or miss on the tables and the food is just meh. I love the scallop forest but that’s about it.

Can’t wait to see what is next.

Joining in here ! Yes I agree in the summer in WDW it’s HOT all the time. Once your step out of your hotel’s champion are conditioning, it’s brutal.

Looking forward to reading more! :cutie:

Following! Love the food pics - you’re making me hungry!
Can’t wait to see more!
And I also share your opinion about homecomin’… I wanted to love it but it was just too heavy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter