Dining Plan

robl45

DIS Veteran
Still trying to figure out the dining plan. I've done the dining plan at Disney for a number of years and it makes a decent amount of sense. This universal plan not so much.

So it seems you get a quick service and snack along with either a drink or a freestyle mug. The mug is 6 dollars more per day and that gets rid of the drink that comes with the other package so that's 9 plus more per day or so?

i know at Disney, a kids meal I think is like 7 dollars plus a drink plus a snack, so how much is the savings really if at all?

Adult is 24 without the freestyle cup. At disney I would get a burger meal that was burger and fries for 10 dollars plus a drink so thats maybe 14 dollars plus snack is what 6 dollars or so?

What am I missing here?

And assuming the dining plan is some mystical value, what snacks does it work with? Does it work with pretty much everything or certain things excluded?

You can buy it at any register. The cashier can help you decide if it’s a good value. It usually doesn’t save much money, if any, though. If you are choosing it to save money, just wait and see. If you like pre-paying then just buy some Universal gift cards. Your money won’t be tied up in food- you can buy souvenirs and such as well. I think it’s the better way to go.

You can decide to buy the quick service meal plan actually at the counter. So, I'd wait and see if it makes sense for you. It really depends on the meal. Also note that you don't have to buy it for all in your party. As a family of 5, we used to just buy 2-3 adult plans and it would be enough food for all of us. We would get the chicken and ribs platter at 3 Broomsticks and then frozen butterbeer as our snack credit. (The all ribs platter was even more expensive so even a better deal). But there are several entree/snack combinations that are not worth it.

In my experience, most of the time, the Universal dining plan just does NOT make financial sense - UNLESS you are buying an expensive meal and value the drinks that come with the plan.

For instance, buying the fish and chips at one of the HP restaurants is $15.99. With the dining plan, my meal includes a drink (but NOT butterbeer, pumpkin juice, etc. - usually some type of cider). Then I can get a snack (butterbeer is a great value at $6.99) and an additional drink (~$3). Total is around $26, plus an additional drink with my meal. However, if I don't want the drinks (i.e. I like to drink water) OR go with a less expensive snacks OR have a less expensive meal, you can see how it won't work out in your favor.

The good news is that you don't have to buy the dining plan in advance. You can just do it when you buy your meal so it is easy to see if it will "work out" for you.

Note: The dining plan IS a good deal if you have an annual pass and can get a buy one, get one half off during the passholder special (usually August and September).

Another tip - despite the receipt saying it had to be used on the same day, we've never had an issue with using it on a different day. You can't save the drink that comes with your entree. But we have saved the other drink for the next day. As well as the snack.

Okay, I think I get it now, the meal comes with a drink and then you get an additional drink as well? I was under the impression you either get a drink with your meal or the freestyle cup.

So if you get a drink with your meal anyway, then is the freestyle cup even a good value?

What if you just get the freestyle cup separately. Is it 16 dollar a day to use or cheaper after the first day?

What counts as drinks. Do Icee's count? Does regular cold butterbeer count? Since you don't have to get it for the whole family, I could see it potentially having some value, although I'm sure I'm getting suckered into either the refillable cups with the faces or a freestyle mug. Probably a popcorn refill bucket too.

Kids couldn't get me at Disney with the refillable stuff because we always had the meal plan that included snacks.

I think you can get icee refills in the cups. No butterbeer, with refill or as a drink. Snack credit though. The free style cup is cheaper to pay for, if using it after the free, purchased day.

You can also buy just a regular cup, that does not use the free style machines, and free refill day you purchase, and I think around $1.20 per refill after that. Popcorn buckets do the same, after you purchase, discount on refills.

With the quick meal you get a meal, with a drink (or if bought cup with it, that IS your drink), then you get another only drink and a snack. If you get a drink and have the cup, when you get your meal, they will use your sole drink credit and not give you any credit for using the cup as your drink. The meal with drink, drink, and snack can be used at different times. I use the meal on one day, and then the drink and snack on other days. It's not really much of a savings, but using the credit card size card to pay, makes it easy. I usually don't get the meal with the cup.

I hope you have a great time.

I think you can get icee refills in the cups. No butterbeer, with refill or as a drink. Snack credit though. The free style cup is cheaper to pay for, if using it after the free, purchased day.

You can also buy just a regular cup, that does not use the free style machines, and free refill day you purchase, and I think around $1.20 per refill after that. Popcorn buckets do the same, after you purchase, discount on refills.

With the quick meal you get a meal, with a drink (or if bought cup with it, that IS your drink), then you get another only drink and a snack. If you get a drink and have the cup, when you get your meal, they will use your sole drink credit and not give you any credit for using the cup as your drink. The meal with drink, drink, and snack can be used at different times. I use the meal on one day, and then the drink and snack on other days. It's not really much of a savings, but using the credit card size card to pay, makes it easy. I usually don't get the meal with the cup.

I hope you have a great time.

Just as a regular drink on the dining plan, does an icee count?

We did the full dinning plan 2 years ago and had the Harry Potter package so there were 2 breakfasts included. Long story short, we ended up picking up snacks and water bottles for the drive home just to use up all the credits when we left. One thing we found is some places you get an extra drink with your meal. The combo includes a softdrink but since you have the dinning plan you also get this milkshake. We didn't get the plan to save money we got it to plan our trip. This upcoming trip we opted for gift cards instead. However I can't see getting the souvenir mug being an option for us because we just don't feel like carrying them around with us.

I only do the Dining plan for convenience if I’m there for two weeks

Not much of a savings but at times it is better $4-6

It works well for me doing hhn nights
I do not have to have a lot of cash on me those nights I do the simple dining
plan
Entree, drink, snack at Louie or another quick service place

Question please. (I’ve tried googling and can’t find the answer).

Can the QS Dining plan be used for breakfasts in Leaky Cauldron or 3 Broomsticks?

Also, can the snack credits be used for desserts in QS? I’m specifically thinking of things like Butterbeer potted cream. Or what about those expensive cauldron cakes?

I don’t have all the answers but have used the snack coupon for butterbeer

I bought the quick dining plan when I ordered my lunch at the 3 B’s

I don’t have all the answers but have used the snack coupon for butterbeer

I bought the quick dining plan when I ordered my lunch at the 3 B’s

Thanks for your reply.

A Universal flyer I found online seems to suggest that you can use the dining plan for breakfast, but I’m yet to find a report where someone has actually done this.

Given that breakfast meals are quite expensive, this seems like a good use of a dining credit and would probably prompt me to buy a few days of QS plans.
Like the OP though, I’m trying to make sure I understand everything properly first.

:goodvibes

Since they (potter eateries) open for breakfast, I would assume the Dining coupon would be valid

Breakfast is over at the 3 B’s at 11:00
And lunch there begins at 10:30

I go there about 10:45 for the lunch menu and have seen peeps use the coupons ahead of me at the register

But maybe they bought breakfast and not lunch like I do
This is one place where I buy the quick service dining plan ( lunch)

In my experience, most of the time, the Universal dining plan just does NOT make financial sense - UNLESS you are buying an expensive meal and value the drinks that come with the plan.

For instance, buying the fish and chips at one of the HP restaurants is $15.99. With the dining plan, my meal includes a drink (but NOT butterbeer, pumpkin juice, etc. - usually some type of cider). Then I can get a snack (butterbeer is a great value at $6.99) and an additional drink (~$3). Total is around $26, plus an additional drink with my meal. However, if I don't want the drinks (i.e. I like to drink water) OR go with a less expensive snacks OR have a less expensive meal, you can see how it won't work out in your favor.

The good news is that you don't have to buy the dining plan in advance. You can just do it when you buy your meal so it is easy to see if it will "work out" for you.

Note: The dining plan IS a good deal if you have an annual pass and can get a buy one, get one half off during the passholder special (usually August and September).
Does anyone know if universal is offering the buy one get one half off pass holder deal for the dining plan?

Does anyone know if universal is offering the buy one get one half off pass holder deal for the dining plan?

That was a special for passholder month last year, not this year. All passholders below preferred get 10 percent off, that is it for this year, and some small discount on the freestyle cup this year too. Oh, and the night of the 26 this month AP only from 8 to midnight. Besides normal hotel discount, nothing else announced or offered.

That was a special for passholder month last year, not this year. All passholders below preferred get 10 percent off, that is it for this year, and some small discount on the freestyle cup this year too. Oh, and the night of the 26 this month AP only from 8 to midnight. Besides normal hotel discount, nothing else announced or offered.
ok great!

I’ll check on that and see what I can find for ap appreciation month

I know there is some info about it on the uo website

Check Universal’s Official Blog entry for August 1. It is a complete guide to all happening during AP Appreciation Month. Started today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter