Dining plan with AP

Hope Soda

Mouseketeer
We are annual passholders with an upcoming trip this fall. Based on our ADRs, we are considering the dining plan, which will be very close to what we would spend out of pocket, but give us some snack credits in case we need them, as well.

However, I read that in order to book the dining plan with an AP, I must book with an AP room only discount. Is that true? Will Disney only take my dining plan money if I have a discounted room? This seems a bit silly. Why would they not want me to buy a dining plan just because I'm paying rack rate for the room (for now)?

Don't get me wrong... if/when a room only discount is offered for this coming fall, I will certainly jump on it. I'd just like to have my room reservation secured well in advance, and make the ADRs I want.

To book the dining plan online, it has to be an AP discount reservation. You can add it to any room only reservation by calling, it just doesn't show as an option when you book the room online.

Thanks! It's good to know I can call and add the dining plan if I'm unable to get a room discount later!

I did factor in the AP dining discount, yes! It was a little over $100 in favor of not doing the dining plan, but I did not calculate tax, morning beverages, or snacks that the kids might really want (we've still never had Mickey ice cream, and hubby really wants a Mickey pretzel); I just looked at our ADRs and SOME of our likely quick service meals. Adding in tax (6.5%, right?), since tax was included in the dining plan cost I was using, puts us closer to even, and we'll have a bunch of leftover snack credits and the refillable mugs to keep the kids happy with cocoa and ice cream (and hubby with coffee), as well as taking home A LOT of sweets.

We are doing several character meals, and Ohana dinner, so definitely on the more valuable end of TS credits.

If each of us eats even one additional quick service meal than I have in my plans, the value goes in favor of the dining plan without even considering snacks. We may end up spending a little bit more than we would have with no dining plan, but it's close enough that we can consider the extra cost as hugely discounted fudge and caramel (from leftover credits), as well as not worrying about the financial aspect of buying the kids a snack here and there.

I really hope I get a room discount, too! We've already gotten the value out of our passes for the year, but obviously every bit helps!

1. Book a room now.
  2. Look for an AP discount later.
  3. 3+ days before check in, call to change your room-only (hopefully AP discounted) reservation to a Ticketless Package. They will try to make a new booking at a higher price, but if you insist on the same room rate, the CM on the phone will call a 3rd line and make it so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter