Dining on the cheap :)

parkhopping

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s
I'm a local-ish passholder, so when I eat at WDW it's always OOP. Park food is generally more expensive than what I can get at a drive-thru on the way in or can bring in myself, so I rarely eat at the park restaurants. I am always on the lookout for affordable lunch or dinner options, though. What have you spotted that's a good deal, especially things that are $5 and under? I already know about the ham and cheese croissants at the bakery in France - a great choice at $3 and change - and this thread gave me hope for finding a good-sized portion of mac 'n cheese for a similar price.

Kids meals are enough for me but not for the rest of the family. You can get a great hot dog in Germany. Don't remember the cost. The chicken fried rice at YY counter service is a snack option so it must be under $5. I love it! Prob the fries too. Can't think of any other food under $5 but lots of stuff if you share. I wouldn't expect to get too much under $5. ;)

The big burger at Pecos Bills and The chicken wrap are huge two ppl can eat those! Its over $5 but will defanitely fill two ppl up plus they will come with fries and the toppings bar!

Earl of sandwhich in DTD the sandwiches are amazing they are $5.95 you can bring your own chips and drink if you like..I did that once on a very budgeted trip..

I'm a local-ish passholder, so when I eat at WDW it's always OOP. Park food is generally more expensive than what I can get at a drive-thru on the way in or can bring in myself, so I rarely eat at the park restaurants. I am always on the lookout for affordable lunch or dinner options, though. What have you spotted that's a good deal, especially things that are $5 and under? I already know about the ham and cheese croissants at the bakery in France - a great choice at $3 and change - and this thread gave me hope for finding a good-sized portion of mac 'n cheese for a similar price.

Thanks for giving me a challenge and a reason to go peruse the menus (AGAIN).

AK--Jalapeno pretzel at Harambe; Cheesesticks w/marinara at Pizzafari; Fried rice at YaknYeti

HS--Corn dog or nachos at Herbie's; Soup of the day at Rosie's

Epcot--Soup or side salad (maybe both) at Sunshine Seasons; Chinese buns, egg rolls, or curry pockets at Joy of Tea stand; Chilli or chilli cheese fries at Liberty Inn; Potstickers at Lotus Blossom; and (my favorite!) $2.99 sides at Tangieriene.

MK-- Corn dog nuggets at Casey';, Chilli, chowder, or couscous at Columbia Harbor; Chicken noodle soup at Cosmic Ray's; Hummus and chips at Gaston's; Breadsticks, soup or side salad at Pinnochio; Soup at Sleepyhollow.

CS locations list everything as baskets that come with fries or chips or some other side. But you can tell the CM you just want to order the sandwich/entree item only, without the fries, and that takes more than a dollar off the cost.

Plain water to drink, of course, because ice water is free.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! I know under $5 is a challenge, and I'm probably one of the few who is very budget-conscious at Disney because I'm never on vacation :)

Ro Z, have you ever been given a hard time at CS restaurants when ordering from the kid's menu? I've never tried it because they put an age limit on it. I know that's enforced at TS restaurants but am wondering if it's the same way for CS.

I have never had trouble ordering a kid's meal. Besides, especially at CS, how are they to know who it is for? For all they know, you are just ordering for a kid that is waiting away from the line.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! I know under $5 is a challenge, and I'm probably one of the few who is very budget-conscious at Disney because I'm never on vacation :)

Ro Z, have you ever been given a hard time at CS restaurants when ordering from the kid's menu? I've never tried it because they put an age limit on it. I know that's enforced at TS restaurants but am wondering if it's the same way for CS.

Never had a problem. They don't ask to see the child. :goodvibes LOL I just can't eat that much. DH eats 24/7 so I never have time to get hungry!
:rotfl2: I do like a nice sit down dinner so breakfast and lunch are always a kids meal! Or we share.

Try the chilli at Pecos Bills it counts as a snack credit so must be under $5 you can add cheese from the fixings bar it was a decent size portion and felt like a meal as it was savoury rather than a sweet snack!

Great post! And hello from a fellow budget-conscious DW visitor :wave2:

Jotting this all down so we know where to eat whilst doing WDW.

Like you I go and I am not on vacation. I like to pack a lunch myself but sometimes I am looking for a Disney treat. The kids meals are inexpensive and usually enough for me. Sometimes I just do a cookie and milk or ice cream sandwich for a snack - combined with my pack lunch is all I need.

There is a new noodle salad at AK I have been eying in the kiosk that had previously sold only egg rolls. They re-did the menu here and now have a noodle salad -looks like lomain noodles for $6-7, summer roll and edamame - I think for under $5.

Hello!
I just signed up for the earl of sandwich e club.....the welcome email said I would get a coupon on my birthday for a free sandwich (good for 30 days)! So if you are going near your bday you could do that;)

Interesting thread! Thanks for all the good ideas!!

I have a small appetite also so love the idea of kids meals... but I do not like burgers, hotdogs, and chicken nuggets. Any places have more decent kids meals?

I have a small appetite also so love the idea of kids meals... but I do not like burgers, hotdogs, and chicken nuggets. Any places have more decent kids meals?

If you'll go over to the Dining Plan sub-forum up above, you'll find a sticky that lists all the Kids' CS meals. Be warned, there's not a lot of variety.

OP: just a quick note to let you know all kids' meals are now $6 or more, so even that is over your $5 limit.

If you'll go over to the Dining Plan sub-forum up above, you'll find a sticky that lists all the Kids' CS meals. Be warned, there's not a lot of variety.

OP: just a quick note to let you know all kids' meals are now $6 or more, so even that is over your $5 limit.

Thanks!

We are a local family of 7 and we are always looking for good deals. I recently wrote a blog post about it. http://thefloridafamily.com/2012/08/01/eating-cheap-at-disney/

Thanks for that link! Lots of great ideas in there. Which fruit stands do you know of that serve the baked potatoes and corn you talked about? I know there is a large-ish one in DHS, near RnRc - does that one serve them?

Well, $6 is still much better than $12 or so, which is what most adult meals seem to be. So I'll take it :)

I always thought a cheap meal at Disney was about as elusive as a FP for TSM after 2 pm...now I know where to look ;) My next park visit will be Epcot for F&W on Tuesday so I won't get to try any of these just yet, but I will be sure to report back here on my success with future trips! :goodvibes

I visited MK last Saturday and am happy to report that I was able to get a baked potato from the Liberty Square Market for $3.29 (before tax). This is the fruit stand in MK and is located between Columbia Harbour House and the Hall of Presidents. The potato was fairly large and had a nice crispy skin that had been salted. It came with butter, sour cream, and shredded cheese, and salt/pepper/other condiments were available as well. Along with a Buddy Fruit I'd brought from home, it made for a filling and inexpensive meal! I assume this is a seasonal item because it was not listed on the regular menu, but they were also offering baked sweet potatoes for the same price. Corn on the cob is also an option for $1.99, along with a variety of fruit. I will definitely be coming back to this location in the future! :goodvibes

Thanks for the food tips. My sister and I will be on a tight budget when we go this spring with 2 small kids. We don't need anything fancy. Love the baked potato suggestion. We'll have to keep our eyes out for other good deals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter