Dining Advice & Sympathy Please!

seobaina

DIS Veteran
Due to the volcanic ash cloud we've had our flights for tomorrow cancelled. I'd been planning a magical trip for two friends (who've never been) for months. It's also my birthday and one of my friends. Although we have *touch wood* rebooked our flights for next saturday we've lost five great and special ADRs and I'm gutted. I know it's only meals but I'd put so much work into planning them. We've lost:

CRT
Chef Mickeys (which was my birthday treat)
Akershus
Tusker House (Andy's birthday treat cause he loves daisy)
Fantasmic! Dinner Package - it's the one show we didn't want to miss.

We can't rebook ANY of them for ANY time we're out there (now 24th April to 3rd May) :sad2: I'm so sad. Can anyone suggest anything? Alternatives? Can't seem to get any character meals at all...tried 1900 Park Fayre, Ohanas, etc already. Is it worth trying again nearer the time? Any tips?

Thanks

Sorry for missing a few dinning and hope you will be able to travel next week. My advise is to keep on checking the on-line daily, I just cancelled my May trip to Disney and cancelled great places to eat. Alot of people cancel or change ADR. We were able to get in Chef Mickey as walk up in May, we went as they were about to open and asked how long the wait for no ADR and they said they can sit us in 5 mins. We called for Tusker House the day we arrived and they were able to get an ADR for breakfast our 3rd day there. I would keep on trying.
Good Luck and have a magical vacation.

Keep trying- I suspect you may be able to get something in what you want especailly if you are willing to dine at off times.

A great character meal that has openings at times is Cape May Cafe breakfast at the Beach Club. The Garden Grill is another less popular character meal.

Most restaurants with better food are not character meals- we love Marakesh, Chefs De France,

Keeping trying on the onine system- try requesting off times, just as dinner opens, middle to late breakfasts, late dinners.

If nothing else find a few dinners/breakfasts without characters to enjoy.

If you are going to be there over a weekend you can also try for the Pluto/Goofy meal at the Swan.

Sorry for missing a few dinning and hope you will be able to travel next week. My advise is to keep on checking the on-line daily, I just cancelled my May trip to Disney and cancelled great places to eat. Alot of people cancel or change ADR. We were able to get in Chef Mickey as walk up in May, we went as they were about to open and asked how long the wait for no ADR and they said they can sit us in 5 mins. We called for Tusker House the day we arrived and they were able to get an ADR for breakfast our 3rd day there. I would keep on trying.
Good Luck and have a magical vacation.

Thanks, that gives me some home although sorry to hear you had to cancel.

Keep trying- I suspect you may be able to get something in what you want especailly if you are willing to dine at off times.
A great character meal that has openings at times is Cape May Cafe breakfast at the Beach Club. The Garden Grill is another less popular character meal.
Most restaurants with better food are not character meals- we love Marakesh, Chefs De France,
Keeping trying on the onine system- try requesting off times, just as dinner opens, middle to late breakfasts, late dinners.
If nothing else find a few dinners/breakfasts without characters to enjoy.
If you are going to be there over a weekend you can also try for the Pluto/Goofy meal at the Swan.

Thank you for the info and advice. What's the meal at the swan?

I am so sorry you lost some great ADRs. One thing I saw in another thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2445805) was a Fantasmic LUNCH package that was available. Maybe that might be available even though dinner isn't?

If you happen to be staying Concierge Level at one of the Disney resort, there seems to be some magic they can pull behind the scenes to get hard-to-book reservations. I think for CRT, you might also stop by the desk there at some point, plead your case, and see if they can find something. Our first trip with our older daughter, we missed our CRT dinner reservation, thinking it was for the next night. They were able to squeeze us in when we thought we had a reservation. It won't hurt to ask.

I am so sorry you lost some great ADRs. One thing I saw in another thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2445805) was a Fantasmic LUNCH package that was available. Maybe that might be available even though dinner isn't?

If you happen to be staying Concierge Level at one of the Disney resort, there seems to be some magic they can pull behind the scenes to get hard-to-book reservations. I think for CRT, you might also stop by the desk there at some point, plead your case, and see if they can find something. Our first trip with our older daughter, we missed our CRT dinner reservation, thinking it was for the next night. They were able to squeeze us in when we thought we had a reservation. It won't hurt to ask.

Thank you. I think I'm gonna have to try some walk ups and begging when we get there *fingers crossed on that cloud going*. Apparently there is nothing for fantasmic available at all but again I think I'll try when we arrive, just in case. Thank you.

Thank you for the info and advice. What's the meal at the swan?

The character meal at the Swan is at the Garden Grove.

Fairly sure at least some of those don't accept ADR's too, only walk ins - the breakfast I think.

Good luck! The important thing is that you're still going to Disney :)

The character meal at the Swan is at the Garden Grove.

Fairly sure at least some of those don't accept ADR's too, only walk ins - the breakfast I think.

Good luck! The important thing is that you're still going to Disney :)

Thank you and yep it is :)...although must admit I'm holding reservation on getting hopes up until things start moving or the volcano stops errupting. FIngers crossed.

So sorry you had to change your plans :( I am in Massachusetts and the news has been saying that a lot of people cannot make it for the Boston Marathon because of the Iceland volcano :eek: Hope things come together for you :tink:

You absolutely to not need a dinner package to see Fantasmic. I've seen the show a number of times, and have never ever gotten the package, so I wouldn't even worry about that.

I would definitely keep trying for the ADR's you want and follow the suggestions of the previous posters.

Good luck! And you have my sympathy.

So sorry you had to change your plans :( I am in Massachusetts and the news has been saying that a lot of people cannot make it for the Boston Marathon because of the Iceland volcano :eek: Hope things come together for you :tink:

You absolutely to not need a dinner package to see Fantasmic. I've seen the show a number of times, and have never ever gotten the package, so I wouldn't even worry about that.

I would definitely keep trying for the ADR's you want and follow the suggestions of the previous posters.

Good luck! And you have my sympathy.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support :hug: Hope things clear up so that people can get to the Marathon too. It's just such a crazy nightmare at the moment cause no one knows what's gonna happen. Def not something I planned for!

No real advice since I just did my first trip with dining reservations but best of luck with the cloud. I hope it clears and you can fly soon. A friend of mine's mom was supposed to visit him in the US (they are from England) and she's had to delay the trip.

No real advice since I just did my first trip with dining reservations but best of luck with the cloud. I hope it clears and you can fly soon. A friend of mine's mom was supposed to visit him in the US (they are from England) and she's had to delay the trip.

Thank you :)

Thank you. I think I'm gonna have to try some walk ups and begging when we get there *fingers crossed on that cloud going*. Apparently there is nothing for fantasmic available at all but again I think I'll try when we arrive, just in case. Thank you.

you can still see fantasmic, you just won't have priority seating. check the times it will be showing while you're there and make a point of being there. I have seen fantasmic 4 times and only one time we had priority seating. it's nice to have, but not necessary. I hope that eases the pain a bit.

keeping fingers crossed that you are still able to get there ok. :-)

Maybe this will be a chance for you to discover some nice places that you never thought about before? Just trying to look on the bright side but I know that it's hard.

I agree that it's wise to keep trying. Also, in the meantime maybe make some ADR's for lesser known places particularly if they're in the resorts. You could also try for walkups but of course there's no guarantee there.

you can still see fantasmic, you just won't have priority seating. check the times it will be showing while you're there and make a point of being there. I have seen fantasmic 4 times and only one time we had priority seating. it's nice to have, but not necessary. I hope that eases the pain a bit.

keeping fingers crossed that you are still able to get there ok. :-)

Thank you. Fantasmic is my favourite show so I'm desperate for the others to see it, as I KNOW they'll love it. I've booked a late lunch at 50s Prime Time for 27th at the moment. I figure we can eat early and make sure we are in a place to join the throng queing early. Assuming we fly, we do have the advantage of having 9 full days there so we should have a second chance to see it *touch wood - being overly suspiscious at the mo until we're at least in Orlando*

I sent you a PM.

Hope thinks work out for you!:hug:

Thank you, thank you, thank you :hug: I have pm'd back!

Maybe this will be a chance for you to discover some nice places that you never thought about before? Just trying to look on the bright side but I know that it's hard.
I agree that it's wise to keep trying. Also, in the meantime maybe make some ADR's for lesser known places particularly if they're in the resorts. You could also try for walkups but of course there's no guarantee there.

Yep, trying to get my head around it and think positively! I've just managed to book a late breakfast/early lunch at 1900 park fair. I've had dinner there before but never this. I think the others will like this one so fingers crossed. My biggest disappointments were the fact that we lost the castle (i know not the best meal but...the castle) and Chef Mickeys. Meeting Mickey is a must for our trip and I love CM. Also tusker house was booked because Daisy is a HUGE fave with one of my friends, Andy. Guess we'll have to track her down in the park somewhere.:confused3

I have to say that one thing that has helped a LOT is all the kindness and understanding that disers have been showing. You guys are, as always, the absolute best and I'm so grateful! :hug:

x

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support :hug: Hope things clear up so that people can get to the Marathon too. It's just such a crazy nightmare at the moment cause no one knows what's gonna happen. Def not something I planned for!

So sorry to hear that, it would make me crazy b/c i am not going until Oct and have already started counting down.
My friend is currently in England with her fiancee and they are stuck too. They are getting married next Sun and are freaking out because they can't get back here to finish all the last minute stuff. Hopefully flights will be out soon.

I agree with the others, keep trying the online, go during off times, and say that your party can split up if it is big (I have said that numerous times and thus far have never had to actually split, if anything we were at two tables right next to one another)
Also, when you get to the resort go to the CS for dining ressies...we did that two yrs ago and had someone who was awesome. He was able to work serious magic getting us really tough ressies at Le Cellier, chef mickeys and the like with only a day or two notice.. He was really great, sometimes you get lucky and get someone who really knows the system.

Good Luck, don't stress too much you are going to the happiest place on earth, that is all that matters !!!pixiedust:

I love fantasmic too !! I wouldn't worry, just get there early and you should be able to get good seats, no need for the dining reservation to get it. We never did the package and always got good seats for fantasmic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter